Jazz

So, lets get a good old fashioned debate going. What do we think of the new Ill Considered album?

I listened to it last night immediately after listening to 'Live At The Total Refreshment Centre' (one of my faves of theirs) and theres a big difference. Their musical output has been insane (10 albums in just over 2 years - plus their other projects with MADMADMAD, Wildflower, Soothsayers etc) so I can understand the development. I would argue that their latest album seems much more considered (ha) that their previous ones, less free-jazz and more prior-planning. Not that its a bad thing, IC8 is more polished. Personally I kind of prefer the early free-jazz stuff over the latest album. Its good with some memorable tracks that stuck in my head, but I wouldn't rank it as their best.

Yeah with postage and exchange rate they just work out too expensive to get here, I have seen a couple in my local but they are A$49, so shithouse value, and I remember all the pressing problems the last few had so didn’t bother.

Yeah with postage and exchange rate they just work out too expensive to get here, I have seen a couple in my local but they are A$49, so shithouse value, and I remember all the pressing problems the last few had so didn’t bother.
Probably a wise move tbh. I actually had a good run of decent presses, but when they started releasing 3-4 albums in the space of a few months I think it just got too much for them to handle the logistics of it all (they packaged and posted the records themselves). The latest Ill Considered 8 is actually really good pressing wise, I didnt have any warps or surface noises which I have had in the past.

Probably a wise move tbh. I actually had a good run of decent presses, but when they started releasing 3-4 albums in the space of a few months I think it just got too much for them to handle the logistics of it all (they packaged and posted the records themselves). The latest Ill Considered 8 is actually really good pressing wise, I didnt have any warps or surface noises which I have had in the past.

I actually grabbed 8 on a whim based on one of your posts but it hasn't come yet. I'd never heard of them before though. There's a lot of really exciting London jazz it looks like, too bad exchange and shipping rates make it pretty darn expensive, otherwise I'd be grabbing all of it! I wonder if there's a comparable American scene?

I actually grabbed 8 on a whim based on one of your posts but it hasn't come yet. I'd never heard of them before though. There's a lot of really exciting London jazz it looks like, too bad exchange and shipping rates make it pretty darn expensive, otherwise I'd be grabbing all of it! I wonder if there's a comparable American scene?
Oh man, I hope it doesn't disappoint in that case :LOL:. The london scene seems to have exploded in the past year for sure. Not entirely sure what the catalyst is that set it off.

So, lets get a good old fashioned debate going. What do we think of the new Ill Considered album?

I listened to it last night immediately after listening to 'Live At The Total Refreshment Centre' (one of my faves of theirs) and theres a big difference. Their musical output has been insane (10 albums in just over 2 years - plus their other projects with MADMADMAD, Wildflower, Soothsayers etc) so I can understand the development. I would argue that their latest album seems much more considered (ha) that their previous ones, less free-jazz and more prior-planning. Not that its a bad thing, IC8 is more polished. Personally I kind of prefer the early free-jazz stuff over the latest album. Its good with some memorable tracks that stuck in my head, but I wouldn't rank it as their best.
I'm interested to get it (it may be waiting for me when I get home). I liked 5 and 6 perhaps least of all their records but from what little I heard online I quite enjoyed this. I should listen to them in order but have the feeling 1 might still be my favourite.

I'm not sure I've bought a Speaker's Corner reissue yet...what's their reputation? Just saw that this is coming soon:
I believe they are meant to be nice (all AAA). Don’t think I have any personally though.

Really good, Kevin Gray has been doing a lot of their stuff in recent years , buy with confidence .
I'm not sure I've bought a Speaker's Corner reissue yet...what's their reputation? Just saw that this is coming soon:

So...I had a business trip to NYC this past week, and I had a little time to visit a record shop so without much research I picked the Jazz Record Center
https://www.jazzrecordcenter.com

IMG_6723.jpg

This place isn't obvious - as I walked up I looked for a storefront but this is a place on the 8th floor and you need to look for the buzzer and be buzzed up (804):
IMG_6713.jpg

Inside there is a nice woman helping me as well as a lot of jazz as one might expect (only one other person in the place at 5 pm on Monday):
IMG_6718.jpg
IMG_6716.jpg

In the end, I only had a short time to spare and since I have been getting into jazz guitar I purchased Grant Green - Funk in France (3LP).
IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

A nice little excursion on the trip - worth a visit. If I buy a record on a trip then it is more like a souvenir and I maybe get away with it more with my better half :)

So...I had a business trip to NYC this past week, and I had a little time to visit a record shop so without much research I picked the Jazz Record Center
https://www.jazzrecordcenter.com

View attachment 15745

This place isn't obvious - as I walked up I looked for a storefront but this is a place on the 8th floor and you need to look for the buzzer and be buzzed up (804):
View attachment 15747

Inside there is a nice woman helping me as well as a lot of jazz as one might expect (only one other person in the place at 5 pm on Monday):
View attachment 15748
View attachment 15749

In the end, I only had a short time to spare and since I have been getting into jazz guitar I purchased Grant Green - Funk in France (3LP).
View attachment 15750

View attachment 15751

A nice little excursion on the trip - worth a visit. If I buy a record on a trip then it is more like a souvenir and I maybe get away with it more with my better half :)
I’ve never actually been. How were the prices there? I might go visit it this weekend...

I’ve never actually been. How were the prices there? I might go visit it this weekend...
Well, they are pretty standard I think - I don't think you're getting great deals there. But, they seem to have a lot of stuff. I only had 15 minutes so I didn't get a lot of time to review. The Tone Poets were more than what I pay in Michigan, but I think not a fair comparison in NYC.

Well, they are pretty standard I think - I don't think you're getting great deals there. But, they seem to have a lot of stuff. I only had 15 minutes so I didn't get a lot of time to review. The Tone Poets were more than what I pay in Michigan, but I think not a fair comparison in NYC.
Thanks. I’m mostly curious about used/older pressings so I might swing by anyway this weekend! Most of the shops here have the Tone Poets for sale for $33-35 if they even have them. I end up purchasing them online sadly but the price difference is pretty substantial. I don’t think I have paid more than $26 so far on them...

Back