Jazz

I just gave that Blue World single from Coltrane a stream and color me excited for the new record.
That single was awesome but looking at the track list, it looked like there were A LOT of versions of Naima on there. And that’s cool! But different takes of established songs don’t interest me as much, mostly because I still have Crescent, Ascension, Ole, and probably like 5 other essential Coltrane’s to buy

That single was awesome but looking at the track list, it looked like there were A LOT of versions of Naima on there. And that’s cool! But different takes of established songs don’t interest me as much, mostly because I still have Crescent, Ascension, Ole, and probably like 5 other essential Coltrane’s to buy
Fair. I don’t mind repeat versions of songs on jazz records though, sometimes they bare no resemblance to each other. I do need Crescent but feel like I need to spend a lot more time with A Love Supreme before I tackle Ascension.

Ascension is one I’ve not fully digested yet. Every time I stream it I find Im not in the right mindset at all and fail at finishing it—every time. And I feel embarrassed admitting it because I consider myself pretty open to all types of music.

One day, one day, and I am looking forward to that day.
It’s an album I want to understand and love.

Yes , that version of Out Of This World on Coltrane is killer, this is a little more restrained eh . Sure this will be good, that band were just so great, but as a few people have mentioned, things like Crescent, Ole are more important in the scheme of things, this is more for the collectors. There are only 2 versions of Naima on this and 3 of Village Blues , anyway we can all make our own mind up next month !
Coltrane’s new tune “Blue World” is just a reworked “Out Of this World.” Which is cool, I love that tune. One of his best.

Still excited for the album

I’ve been looking at that Miles Davis Complete Birth of the Cool reissue package for a couple of months now. For the most part, reviews had been pretty stellar. This weekend I was able to score a sealed copy for $20. I was pretty excited about it and for some reason decided to check out what the Hoffman forum had been saying about the quality of this reissue ... bad idea.

Miles Davis Complete Birth of the Cool Sessions on Vinyl - Hoffman

Cripes, those folks can suck the joy out of a chocolate sundae. Especially the jazzinistas. The Complete BotC looked to be a good choice to replace my noisy copy. (Hell, the booklet with new photos alone was probably worth it.) So, I guess I'll just have to take my worthless new BotC box, put on my headphones and listen in shame. Or not.

I would be interested in hearing from you slightly less jaded N&G jazz listeners about what you think of the new reissue ... even if you agree with the Angry Mob over at Hoffman.
The Hoffman forum is literally the worst. I really tried to get into reading some posts there because I figured it the collective knowledge would be amazing. Instead its just a shit show of people slagging things.

Joe Harley actually quit the forum because of the negativity. There was (supposedly) a part of the Andrew Hill Tone Poet release where the piano was out of key. Harley addressed it by saying they were correct about the issue but that it was as per the master tape. The Hoffmanites got their pitchforks out and kicked off, saying he was wrong and that he should have been able to fix it. Toxic.

Seeing as im already ranting, I was on a blog/review site the other day reading up on a new release. I was reading the comments when I stumbled across a guy having a go at another user for having the username that he uses of the Hoffman forum. He was demanding that the user change his name so that he can have it, because hes had it on the Hoffman forum for years. It wasn't even a peculiar name at all.

I do recommend every Strata East Pure Pleasure reissue, as I do recommend every Nimbus West and Tribe PP reissue. Not sure how long these will last and when, and if, they will be repressed when they'll go out of stock.

Cool, it's on sale for 17,99 at saturn.de which seemed like a good deal.

Also picked up an ECM record which I've found to be quite interesting -

IMG_20190820_095902.jpg

So this arrived over the weekend, and I'm currently halfway through my first spin.
This album is fantastic, it will definitely make it to my Bestof 2019 list. The performances are so fresh and passionate, and the compositions are very intricate and expressive, just how I like my jazz.

Last edited:
I’ve been looking at that Miles Davis Complete Birth of the Cool reissue package for a couple of months now. For the most part, reviews had been pretty stellar. This weekend I was able to score a sealed copy for $20. I was pretty excited about it and for some reason decided to check out what the Hoffman forum had been saying about the quality of this reissue ... bad idea.

Miles Davis Complete Birth of the Cool Sessions on Vinyl - Hoffman

Cripes, those folks can suck the joy out of a chocolate sundae. Especially the jazzinistas. The Complete BotC looked to be a good choice to replace my noisy copy. (Hell, the booklet with new photos alone was probably worth it.) So, I guess I'll just have to take my worthless new BotC box, put on my headphones and listen in shame. Or not.

I would be interested in hearing from you slightly less jaded N&G jazz listeners about what you think of the new reissue ... even if you agree with the Angry Mob over at Hoffman.
I think someone posted something similar here a while ago about this particular thread on the Hoffman forums. At any rate, the music sounds absolutely fantastic to me (the live album will never sound good considering the source) and the packaging is fantastic. I’ve never gone to Birth of the Cool for high fidelity sonics since it never was audiophile stuff to begin with. I really have to sit down and compare my early copy with the new one. I also have an original 78 but don’t remember which one. I have zero shame in buying the new one haha!

View attachment 14783

So this arrived over the weekend, and I'm currently halfway through my first spin.
This album is fantastic, and the pressing is great too! It will definitely make it to my Bestof 2019 list. The performances are so fresh and passionate, and the compositions are very intricate and expressive, just how I ñike my jazz.
On my second spin now. This thing is amazing. Im so glad to have one of the best jazz records pf 2019 come out on Blue Note. Their reissue campaigns are great, but the label's history deserves this kind of new releases on their roster too.

On my second spin now. This thing is amazing. Im so glad to have one of the best jazz records pf 2019 come out on Blue Note. Their reissue campaigns are great, but the label's history deserves this kind of new releases on their roster too.
Absolutely agreed. One of the more frustrating things is how hard it is to get hold of some of their (great) recent releases. eg Takuya Kuroda - Rising Son is for sale at a minimum of €299 on Discogs currently. Seems crazy to me.

Absolutely agreed. One of the more frustrating things is how hard it is to get hold of some of their (great) recent releases. eg Takuya Kuroda - Rising Son is for sale at a minimum of €299 on Discogs currently. Seems crazy to me.

That album is good, but no way I'm paying those prices. Tag me if you every see a reissue or something.

Looking forward to getting my copy of Kingmaker (if VMP ever decide to get around to sending it). I was hoping to get it a few weeks back (nearer the release date) so I could get him to sign it when I saw him perform in London. If you are ever in the position to see him live I thoroughly recommend it. They played solidly for a few hours, you could tell they were having real fun with it as well. Great stuff

I think these are still overpriced but for Brits or Europeans who don't want to risk the import charges, eil.com has a bunch of MM and AP 2LP 45RPMs listed at the moment, £75/€85 each. Use 10SUMMER19 to knock 10% off that.

They have:

Dippin'
Cape Verdean Blues
Horace Silver & Jazz Messengers
Finger Poppin
Song for My Father
Stylings of Silver
6 Pieces of Silver
Night Dreamer
Soothsayer
Speak No Evil
Juju