Jazz

Thanks. I’m mostly curious about used/older pressings so I might swing by anyway this weekend! Most of the shops here have the Tone Poets for sale for $33-35 if they even have them. I end up purchasing them online sadly but the price difference is pretty substantial. I don’t think I have paid more than $26 so far on them...
Yeah, that's what I think they were selling them for. My local shop gives me a discount -- a little more than what I would pay on Amazon.

I wish I had more time to review/search for used/older pressings. Oh well, glad to get a little time to do this instead of working :)

I'm not sure I've bought a Speaker's Corner reissue yet...what's their reputation? Just saw that this is coming soon:

Thanks for this, really digging Elvin's stuff recently. I'll be buying this for sure. As @kafunis said, buy with confidence, AAA label, well mastered, pressed at Pallas Germany. Really good reissue label.

I'm not sure I've bought a Speaker's Corner reissue yet...what's their reputation? Just saw that this is coming soon:

Are there no buy links on their website? I'm on Mobile and they don't actually sell direct, right? Found most their catalogue on Elusive Disc though.

Thanks for this, really digging Elvin's stuff recently. I'll be buying this for sure. As @kafunis said, buy with confidence, AAA label, well mastered, pressed at Pallas Germany. Really good reissue label.
I have been too. I’ve been trying to find the album Heavy Sounds for quite some time now at a decent price but can only seem to find Japanese reissues with expensive shipping. One of these days I’ll just put in a big Japanese order but haven’t pulled the trigger on it yet...

Thanks to @adrock for reminding me that I have never been to Jazz Record Center in NYC. My gf is out of town this weekend so it was the perfect time to head there. It was pretty empty but the guy working there was nice. first off, they have just about every jazz biography and book ever there. It was really impressive. As far as records go, the name says it all. Pretty much only jazz and blues here. And the selection was just a bit weird to me. They had a lot but not a ton of used in terms of selection to me. All sorted by artist but new was mixed in with used. Loads of AP pressings, all around $50. I found a lot of albums I liked but then when I pulled them out of the stacks, it was almost always a 75th anniversary press or a bad recent repress. Had a bunch of Japanese pressings too. I did notice right before I left that there were sliding doors underneath the bins and they were also loaded with records but I peaked in one and nothing seemed to be priced, so I’m guessing it hasn’t been sorted yet and some were just sleeves.

I picked up a few things but some records didn’t have an actual record in the sleeve and I just assumed they were behind the counter. But then I heard the guy working there on the phone saying he had a certain Sonny Stitt record but it didn’t have the record, only the sleeve and I got really confused haha. But my thinking was right...anything over $30 there is behind the counter.

I left there thinking I’ll return sometime but I don’t think I got any steals and don’t think I got ripped off either. Picked up Walter Davis Jr’s Davis Cup album which I’ve been looking for and they had a clean Japanese pressing. Also got an OG press of Jay Jay Johnson volume 1 on blue note, a Freddie Hubbard BN reissue series and a Joe Pass record which was like $6, but I’m a big fan of his.

Now off to Academy!

Thanks to @adrock for reminding me that I have never been to Jazz Record Center in NYC. My gf is out of town this weekend so it was the perfect time to head there. It was pretty empty but the guy working there was nice. first off, they have just about every jazz biography and book ever there. It was really impressive. As far as records go, the name says it all. Pretty much only jazz and blues here. And the selection was just a bit weird to me. They had a lot but not a ton of used in terms of selection to me. All sorted by artist but new was mixed in with used. Loads of AP pressings, all around $50. I found a lot of albums I liked but then when I pulled them out of the stacks, it was almost always a 75th anniversary press or a bad recent repress. Had a bunch of Japanese pressings too. I did notice right before I left that there were sliding doors underneath the bins and they were also loaded with records but I peaked in one and nothing seemed to be priced, so I’m guessing it hasn’t been sorted yet and some were just sleeves.

I picked up a few things but some records didn’t have an actual record in the sleeve and I just assumed they were behind the counter. But then I heard the guy working there on the phone saying he had a certain Sonny Stitt record but it didn’t have the record, only the sleeve and I got really confused haha. But my thinking was right...anything over $30 there is behind the counter.

I left there thinking I’ll return sometime but I don’t think I got any steals and don’t think I got ripped off either. Picked up Walter Davis Jr’s Davis Cup album which I’ve been looking for and they had a clean Japanese pressing. Also got an OG press of Jay Jay Johnson volume 1 on blue note, a Freddie Hubbard BN reissue series and a Joe Pass record which was like $6, but I’m a big fan of his.

Now off to Academy!
Was the guy working there named Ken?

Now off to Academy!
Well, crap, apparently I should have gone to the Academy instead! :)

I'll have to figure out a way to get back there sometime.

Well, crap, apparently I should have gone to the Academy instead! :)

I'll have to figure out a way to get back there sometime.
Always happy to give you recommendations based on what music you’re into too! I’ve been to most of the NY stores since I have lived here for 10+ years. For some reason have just never made it to Jazz Record Center. Academy is hit or miss for me but I think them being near the village means they get a lot of old people selling them their collections which often have a lot of nice jazz. I went to the one on 12th since I haven’t been there’s in awhile (there are 3 different ones). I live a few blocks from the Academy Records in Brooklyn which is dangerous haha.

Now off to Academy!
I LOVE the Walter Davis JR album, it’s so so so good. I posted about it on my Instagram last week, it’s a really interesting story, especially how he just completely retired from music out of the blue.

Sounds like I need to go to this store one day, I’ve been after the Downbeat Jazz Record Review volumes but they’re super tricky to find.

I LOVE the Walter Davis JR album, it’s so so so good. I posted about it on my Instagram last week, it’s a really interesting story, especially how he just completely retired from music out of the blue.

Sounds like I need to go to this store one day, I’ve been after the Downbeat Jazz Record Review volumes but they’re super tricky to find.
I've been looking for it for a long time and was happy to find it out in the wild. It's a Toshiba japanese press. They had an AP press too but it was almost twice as expensive ($55) and I like the japanese presses. The guy working there even passed me while I was looking through things and my stack was up top and he stopped in his tracks and said "woah-- great find!" Listening to it now and it sounds excellent.

I don't mind checking to see if they have any of the Downbeat Jazz Record Review volumes next time I go. I end up making my way to London once or twice a year now to visit my girlfriend's family, so if they have any at a decent price could always try to pick some up and bring em over on my next trip to the UK!

Gave a spin to the De Agostini Jazz at 33 1/3 pressings I got last night...can’t say enough about
how impressed I am with them. The Bill Evans and Hank Mobley in particular sound really really good. Vinyl is dead quiet. The mix sounds great to my ears. They remind me a bit of the Japanese BN pressings I have (not quite as good but also half the price). I immediately ordered 4 more last night. For anybody in the UK, these should be pretty cheap to come by. I paid $15 each to the US so I’m guessing they are around a tenner shipped for UK folks.

I've been looking for it for a long time and was happy to find it out in the wild. It's a Toshiba japanese press. They had an AP press too but it was almost twice as expensive ($55) and I like the japanese presses. The guy working there even passed me while I was looking through things and my stack was up top and he stopped in his tracks and said "woah-- great find!" Listening to it now and it sounds excellent.

I don't mind checking to see if they have any of the Downbeat Jazz Record Review volumes next time I go. I end up making my way to London once or twice a year now to visit my girlfriend's family, so if they have any at a decent price could always try to pick some up and bring em over on my next trip to the UK!
Ah thats so nice of you! Im actually chatting to someone who has a load they might be selling, but thanks for the offer and I will let you know if i manage to get any!

I was desperately trying to avoid the De Agostini albums but they sound too good to miss up! You and @Mr Moore will be the death of my wallet at this rate :ROFLMAO:

Ah thats so nice of you! Im actually chatting to someone who has a load they might be selling, but thanks for the offer and I will let you know if i manage to get any!

I was desperately trying to avoid the De Agostini albums but they sound too good to miss up! You and @Mr Moore will be the death of my wallet at this rate :ROFLMAO:
Out of the four I got, I have listened to three and Bill Evans Trio and Soul Station both sound really good to me. Indeed! didn’t sound quite as good but I’ll give a re-listen and Go is up on deck this morning.

New Mr Bongo release : Hozan Yamamoto With Sharps & Flats – Beautiful Bamboo-Flute. I am already purchasing the record after listening to the first song Kokiriko Bushi. There is everything I like :) First repres, the OG got sold once on Discogs for 80 000€ yens (±680€).

Hozan Yamamoto was recognised as a "living national treasure" by the Japanese government in 2002. This highly sought-after album from the Japanese wood flute player is more upbeat and swinging than some of his other records. The big band he recorded this album with (Sharps & Flats) played a big part in the genesis of the album’s groove. Forming in 1951, they helped to make jazz popular in Japan after World War II. Yamamoto's flute lines weave over the heavy brass sound and groove, creating an MPS label blending of funky jazz and Japanese vibes. The closest comparison would be Dorothy Ashby's grooviest albums for Chess / Cadet – substituting Yamamoto’s flute for the harp.

1567439940423.png

New Mr Bongo release : Hozan Yamamoto With Sharps & Flats – Beautiful Bamboo-Flute. I am already purchasing the record after listening to the first song Kokiriko Bushi. There is everything I like :) First repres, the OG got sold once on Discogs for 80 000€ yens (±680€).

Hozan Yamamoto was recognised as a "living national treasure" by the Japanese government in 2002. This highly sought-after album from the Japanese wood flute player is more upbeat and swinging than some of his other records. The big band he recorded this album with (Sharps & Flats) played a big part in the genesis of the album’s groove. Forming in 1951, they helped to make jazz popular in Japan after World War II. Yamamoto's flute lines weave over the heavy brass sound and groove, creating an MPS label blending of funky jazz and Japanese vibes. The closest comparison would be Dorothy Ashby's grooviest albums for Chess / Cadet – substituting Yamamoto’s flute for the harp.

View attachment 15958
That album artwork is amazing! Listening to it now and I dig it! The first 10 seconds on the first track did remind me of the james bond intro though :LOL:

View attachment 15958

Yes, been looking forward to this one! I also bought another album of his a while back, which is also beautiful and wasn't too expensive to get an original pressing of. Hozan Yamamoto - Silver World

View attachment 15958
Think I mentioned this a while back when it was first announced and directly bought it because of the artwork.
And after listening to the first track I felt no remorse. ;)

Back