Jazz

i'd happily take requests of what other MPS stuff to seek out! i've liked what i have heard.
Mirror, Mirror by Joe Henderson is really good and had a decent reissue a few years back. I think it's still available.
Out of the originals I have, Don Cherry's Eternal Rhythm and John Tchicai's Afrodisiaca are both seriously good and worth tracking down.

so i've been getting more into jazz mostly because of me doing psychedlic therapy (ketamine for depression to be exact), as well as picking up stuff like the VMP ornette coleman which i already knew i liked. i know im into mostly fusion or experimental stuff, good vibe albums for the trips have been Miles Davis - In a Silent Way, Sun Ra - Lanquidity (i am totally going to buy VMP Space is the Place.. BUT i kinda wanna wait until christmas in case i get a gift card for it), Pharoah Sanders and Floating Points - Promises, i TRIED with a love supreme but i still kinda dont get all the praise it gets as the best jazz album ever, and listening to each individual disc of Kamasi Washingtons - The Epic was a great time. that plus hip hop adjacent stuff like madlibs blue note and nujabes and MF DOOM beats being good lawn mowing music means i've been listening to a lot more jazz and am kinda looking for more recommendations.

i know im going to try again with more coltrane, specifically the recent live album with eric dolphy and a love supreme in seattle (maybe also try something like both directions at once), but i dunno what other jazz might be useful for trying out as a kind of zone out and dissociate experience.. any tips

so i've been getting more into jazz mostly because of me doing psychedlic therapy (ketamine for depression to be exact), as well as picking up stuff like the VMP ornette coleman which i already knew i liked. i know im into mostly fusion or experimental stuff, good vibe albums for the trips have been Miles Davis - In a Silent Way, Sun Ra - Lanquidity (i am totally going to buy VMP Space is the Place.. BUT i kinda wanna wait until christmas in case i get a gift card for it), Pharoah Sanders and Floating Points - Promises, i TRIED with a love supreme but i still kinda dont get all the praise it gets as the best jazz album ever, and listening to each individual disc of Kamasi Washingtons - The Epic was a great time. that plus hip hop adjacent stuff like madlibs blue note and nujabes and MF DOOM beats being good lawn mowing music means i've been listening to a lot more jazz and am kinda looking for more recommendations.

i know im going to try again with more coltrane, specifically the recent live album with eric dolphy and a love supreme in seattle (maybe also try something like both directions at once), but i dunno what other jazz might be useful for trying out as a kind of zone out and dissociate experience.. any tips
All electric Miles. You'd dig that first Headhunters album for sure. You should give Brother Jack McDuff - Moon Rappin' a listen. Anything by Chief Adjuah/Christian Scott will be up your alley. Russel Gunn's Ethnomusicology Vol. 1 will be a fun listen for you. The Comet is Coming.

@Lee Newman makes some great suggestions.

The Other Side Of The Sun, In Some Far Place: Roma '77, Haverford College 1980 Solo Piano, New Steps, and Discipline Of Sun Ra by EABS would be my recommendations for further exploration of Sun Ra.

London Brew would likely be up your alley.

The River Doesn’t Like Strangers by Chelsea Carmichael
An Angel Fell  by Idris Ackamoor & The Pyramids
13 Degrees of Reality by The Heliocentrics
The Infinite Ones by King Khan
Space 1.8 by Nala Sinephro
Lest We Forget What We Came Here To Do by Sons of Kemet
La Saboteuse by Yazz Ahmed
Eye of I by James Brandon Lewis

...may all do you some good as well (and if any of them particularly grab you, their catalogues are worth exploring further -- if they have more than the recommended album, that is.)

Don't bother with the Latest live Coltrane albums , at least not yet, they are not great recordings, but they are mostly very good performances, but check out some earlier Trane, like Crescent , Africa/Brass , Ole, and The Village Vanguard stuff(a couple of good Indian drone type songs on this) have a listen on Youtube or if you stream stuff before you spend the big dollars on Vinyl. Herbies Funky albums from early 70's Man Child, Sextant, Thrust, Crossings and Mwandishi . Electric Miles for sure as Lee mentions. Terumasa Hino has a couple of beauties from late 60's -&0's. Hi-Nology, Into Eternity, and Masabumi Kikuchi-Susto is worth a listen .
Anyway it is such a rich style of music that you are bound to find something that connects-enjoy the journey.

i forgot to mention i did hear spaces 1.8.. another solid one... i think my next trip will be either one of the longer miles davis electric period albums (big fun, get up with it, bitches brew) or one of herbies mwandishi era (i know i like sextant because i tried that out for the inevitable VMP pressing, so maybe the other 2 albums from the sessions would be nice to hear)

These are all very different albums but I have always found that I "lose myself" quite easily listening to:
- Alabaster DePlume - To Cy & Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1
- Isaiah Collier & The Chosen Few – Cosmic Transitions (inspired by A Love Supreme but give it a go anyway)
- Alice Coltrane Featuring Pharoah Sanders And Joe Henderson – Ptah, The El Daoud
- Ill Considered – Live At The Crypt

All fun stuff.

Folks, just finished up listening to my second Craft OJC title - thus far I've spun Mal Waldron 2 and now Miles Workin', and I am just not in love with these. These Prestige tapes sound totally shot - tape errors up the wazoo, top end is gone. I have to go back and revisit some older masters to see, I know the fidelity is not what say the Blue Note catalog is, but just not bowled over, even with a Boom Boom master. I still have Waltz For Debby sitting in shrink, so we'll see there!

All you need is this: freeform.org : Kozmigroov Konnection (cosmic jazz groove)

This should set you up for a long time. I know that some of my favorite music is included in the links on the site. There are simply too many to recommend here.

So many rabbit holes to fall down. I'd just plug one of my recent favourites (even if it's actually a recording of a gig from the 70s): Tomasz Stanko Quintet - Wooden Music I. It's savage but beautiful, and possibly my favourite release of the past year. Best of all, a second instalment is due out in September.

20230830_123829.jpg

Next two OJCs leaked. Art Blakey - Caravan and Bill Evans/Cannonball Adderley - Know What I Mean. Craft is also putting out a Wes Montgomery 3 LP - complete Full House recordings and

Charlie Parker /Dizzy Gillespie/Bud Powell/Charles Mingus/Max Roach - Hot House: the Complete Jazz At Massey Hall Recordings (3 LPs)​

Next two OJCs leaked. Art Blakey - Caravan and Bill Evans/Cannonball Adderley - Know What I Mean. Craft is also putting out a Wes Montgomery 3 LP - complete Full House recordings and

Charlie Parker /Dizzy Gillespie/Bud Powell/Charles Mingus/Max Roach - Hot House: the Complete Jazz At Massey Hall Recordings (3 LPs)​

Verrrrry stoked for that Bill Evans and Cannonball. Been wanting to pick up an old OJC of that for a while now. Glad I held off!

Back