Jazz

Looking to add 1 (and only one) to an order to get to free shipping.

Feels like a can't go wrong situation, but any recommendations out of the following recent releases? (Recs on quality of music, quality of mastering/ pressing, etc):

Pharoah Sanders - Karma (Verve Acoustic Sounds Series)
Harold Vick - Steppin' Out (Tone Poet)
Alice Coltrane - Ptah El Doud (Verve Requests Series)
Bill Evans - Trio '65 (Acoustic Sounds)
Duke Ellington - Meets Coleman Hawkins (AS)
Chet Baker & Art Pepper - A Picture of Heath (TP)

That's my rough order, but not sure on Sanders and Coltrane in case I order the VMP Impulse! Anthology (Is that ever coming out?)
skip Alice...I love the album and think the cut is not good at all especially compared to other pressings and even the CDs.

and people complained about the Chet Baker having pressing issues. There's a section that caused lots of peoples' turntables to skip. it sounds like an overloaded mic on mine and doesn't skip but enough people complained about it that Blue Note had to issue a statement. Shame because it does sound AWESOME otherwise.

The Ellington is excellent as is Evans. Karma is solid but Chad claims it doesn't sound great to him. I agree it's good but not GREAT. I have Harold Vick but haven't had a chance to spin it yet!

So the RSD list is up and I have to say, there's very little that has caught my eye this time. Another Bill Evans from Zev Feldman, a few reissues.

The Medeski Martin & Wood – It's A Jungle In Here seems interesting, I really like Uninvisible which I wasn't aware of until the VMP drop.

The Soho Scene 62 Vol 1 & 2 has some nice British jazz on it, but strange to mix in American as well.

I suppose the one that caught my eye the most was the live Sun Ra release. @avecigrec

IMG_3010.jpgIMG_3011.PNG

The Medeski Martin & Wood – It's A Jungle In Here seems interesting, I really like Uninvisible which I wasn't aware of until the VMP drop.
MMW is one of my fav bands. I’m sure you’ll see for yourself when you give it a listen, but this is “jazzier” than some later releases like Uninvisible, including horns backing on several tracks.

I started listening to them with Shackman but quickly grew to prefer IAJIH (Edit: and Notes from the Underground). Combustication is my top choice.

So the RSD list is up and I have to say, there's very little that has caught my eye this time. Another Bill Evans from Zev Feldman, a few reissues.

The Soho Scene 62 Vol 1 & 2 has some nice British jazz on it, but strange to mix in American as well.

I suppose the one that caught my eye the most was the live Sun Ra release. @avecigrec

View attachment 167296View attachment 167297
This released digitally around 3 years ago and I remember seeing an article that mentioned it was being put out physically by Modern Harmonic and have been waiting ever since. It's a pretty cool thing. Don't reckon it to be any kind of must-get for the casual fan, but I most certainly will be picking it up!

It’s not gonna be in the audiophile pantheon, but I like this Alice press/release plenty.
I was really hoping for a good sounding release of it even if from digital. It sounds pretty lifeless to me. The pressing was flat and pretty quiet so it had that going for it. But I A/Bed it to the late 90s CD and the difference was night and day to me.

I know people were excited to finally get an affordable official release but this one was a big bummer for me.

Thanks. I assumed it was great. Is it vastly different musically than his other trio work?

I already have 8 or 9 other Evans albums, so I'm just not sure how much I'd spin it.
No, it’s definitely not very different from his other record, but I think I like it a bit better then the 64. I don’t own as many Evans as you though, so understand your hesitancy.

I was really hoping for a good sounding release of it even if from digital. It sounds pretty lifeless to me. The pressing was flat and pretty quiet so it had that going for it. But I A/Bed it to the late 90s CD and the difference was night and day to me.

I know people were excited to finally get an affordable official release but this one was a big bummer for me.
I have a mint, perfect OG and it has the benefits of analog original source. But I also bought the reissue which doesn't displace the OG, but has merit - the recording itself is quite flat (a low ceiling basement home studio) so I find the piano in particular has a bit more air around it. Not a bad reissue IMO, but the source is far from perfect.

That Bill Evans looks to me like a real bottom scraper!

There are a few gems.

Newport Rebels
Shirley Scott (with George Coleman)
Sonny Stitt In Baltimore

And there are a couple on the Japan list that I have my eyes and ears on.

I have a mint, perfect OG and it has the benefits of analog original source. But I also bought the reissue which doesn't displace the OG, but has merit - the recording itself is quite flat (a low ceiling basement home studio) so I find the piano in particular has a bit more air around it. Not a bad reissue IMO, but the source is far from perfect.
yea-- i figured the source isn't great and know her recording setup wasn't fantastic. I haven't heard an AMAZING sounding pressing of it, but the late 90s CD easily bested this new one. this was just a really disappointing reissue for me. maybe because we have been spoiled by some of the other reissue series lately.

That Bill Evans looks to me like a real bottom scraper!

There are a few gems.

Newport Rebels
Shirley Scott (with George Coleman)
Sonny Stitt In Baltimore

And there are a couple on the Japan list that I have my eyes and ears on.
which japan titles? forgot they have their own RSD List...now i need to go look at it haha

Feels like a can't go wrong situation, but any recommendations out of the following recent releases? (Recs on quality of music, quality of mastering/ pressing, etc):

That's my rough order, but not sure on Sanders and Coltrane in case I order the VMP Impulse! Anthology (Is that ever coming out?)
I have the Pharoah, Bill, and Duke and the Duke to me has the most replay value and sounds the best. Really great music

which japan titles? forgot they have their own RSD List...now i need to go look at it haha
BTW, I see an Archie Shepp/Max Roach reissue on the RSD list. I have an OG japanese pressing so not for me, but this is killer, killer hard core stuff. Roach is just SO rock solid.

This released digitally around 3 years ago and I remember seeing an article that mentioned it was being put out physically by Modern Harmonic and have been waiting ever since. It's a pretty cool thing. Don't reckon it to be any kind of must-get for the casual fan, but I most certainly will be picking it up!

Also, I don't know if the RSD site mentions but @MikeH should probably know it's a Boom Boom cut.

Also, I don't know if the RSD site mentions but @MikeH should probably know it's a Boom Boom cut.
200w.gif

I have the Bill Evans but also enjoy the Chet Baker. For me the Harold Vick is a step lower than the other two, but that's more of a musical preference thing, not quality of pressing.

Back