Jazz

I posted this on the Fresh Grabs thread and thought some of you might find them interesting!

4 years ago I read about an incredible set of 5 records that contained private recordings of John Coltrane and Eric Dolphy performing in Sweden during 1961-1963. They contain some incredible live renditions of Coltrane's best tracks, in an environment where the group knew they were appreciated, and as a result they play amazingly! They were released on mail order only, with plain coloured sleeves and plain labels. The only written information was typed sheets that briefly described the performances, and included tracklists. There were 5 releases with each being a different coloured sleeves. Weirdly, the catalogue numbering skips "4" so I wonder if they had another lined up that didn't make the cut. Anyway, these records are typically quite rare and although there is no real information regarding the numbers, I have seen one account that it was only a pressing run of around 100 per album. I managed to swoop these up in one go which I cant quite believe, so its been a real thrill to listen to them!

IMG_2339.JPGIMG_2341 2.jpg

I posted this on the Fresh Grabs thread and thought some of you might find them interesting!

4 years ago I read about an incredible set of 5 records that contained private recordings of John Coltrane and Eric Dolphy performing in Sweden during 1961-1963. They contain some incredible live renditions of Coltrane's best tracks, in an environment where the group knew they were appreciated, and as a result they play amazingly! They were released on mail order only, with plain coloured sleeves and plain labels. The only written information was typed sheets that briefly described the performances, and included tracklists. There were 5 releases with each being a different coloured sleeves. Weirdly, the catalogue numbering skips "4" so I wonder if they had another lined up that didn't make the cut. Anyway, these records are typically quite rare and although there is no real information regarding the numbers, I have seen one account that it was only a pressing run of around 100 per album. I managed to swoop these up in one go which I cant quite believe, so its been a real thrill to listen to them!

View attachment 166127View attachment 166128

Not as interesting as cocaine jazz rats!

But kinda neat.
Seriously though, incredible score - well done!

View attachment 166127View attachment 166128

Who is your dealer? Amazing finds! Congrats!

Two grails (for me) acquired. Both sealed, and neither has some of the problems that I’ve encountered w sealed old records in paper sleeves (warps; noisy sleeve scuffs; etc.). Scattered noises here and there, but, generally, really excellent condition.

I paid a premium for both, but the seller — who lives in Pittsburgh and picked up a bunch of both titles from the studio where they were recorded (more on him here @ London Jazz Collector) — isn’t greedy. He’s making good profit, but I also could sell both for a profit. He’s still selling on eBay, where I bought Makatuka, and he’s not hard to find w/ his username and Google.

I didn’t think I’d ever own The 6th Sense in the 11th House, but I reached out to him privately to inquire whether he still has copies of it b/c he has not listed it on eBay recently. He did and offered a very fair price (by no means cheap, though!). Caution on eBay w Makatuka — make sure the sale isn’t the 2017 reissue, at least not for the price of the OG.

5BD51DB0-79BA-467D-8639-BF3CC6F0C8B5.jpeg

Two grails (for me) acquired. Both sealed, and neither has some of the problems that I’ve encountered w sealed old records in paper sleeves (warps; noisy sleeve scuffs; etc.). Scattered noises here and there, but, generally, really excellent condition.

I paid a premium for both, but the seller — who lives in Pittsburgh and picked up a bunch of both titles from the studio where they were recorded (more on him here @ London Jazz Collector) — isn’t greedy. He’s making good profit, but I also could sell both for a profit. He’s still selling on eBay, where I bought Makatuka, and he’s not hard to find w/ his username and Google.

I didn’t think I’d ever own The 6th Sense in the 11th House, but I reached out to him privately to inquire whether he still has copies of it b/c he has not listed it on eBay recently. He did and offered a very fair price (by no means cheap, though!). Caution on eBay w Makatuka — make sure the sale isn’t the 2017 reissue, at least not for the price of the OG.

View attachment 166322
Oh wow! I’ve been looking for 6th sense for forever. Any chance you think he still has copies? I tried to find the eBay account you’re referencing but can’t seem to locate it…

Edit: Nevermind I found it! Will send them a PM. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Oh wow! I’ve been looking for 6th sense for forever. Any chance you think he still has copies? I tried to find the eBay account you’re referencing but can’t seem to locate it…

Edit: Nevermind I found it! Will send them a PM. Fingers crossed!
Here he is: subaru15012 on eBay
I’ll PM you

View attachment 166322
Wowzas!!! Great scores there buddy!!

Went to my local charity shop today and they had a new box of consignment jazz records. Picked these two up and looked up the pressings when I got home. Both are OG monos with the vinyl in excellent confusion. Ray Bryant looks barely played and the sleeve somehow has all the seams in tact. Timmons has an entire seam split on top but the record is in great shape.

71D29479-5D38-482E-A102-31475198FD63.jpeg

9DDD0EC1-40B6-4B0C-B2EF-E48922CC6886.jpeg

I had a feeling the Ray was an OG when I was in the shop but didn’t want to look it up with the shop owner right next to me. Not bad a bad pickup for $35

1676244913756.png

My cocaine rat dealer or jazz 🤣
93V1Yj8.png

Looking to add 1 (and only one) to an order to get to free shipping.

Feels like a can't go wrong situation, but any recommendations out of the following recent releases? (Recs on quality of music, quality of mastering/ pressing, etc):

Pharoah Sanders - Karma (Verve Acoustic Sounds Series)
Harold Vick - Steppin' Out (Tone Poet)
Alice Coltrane - Ptah El Doud (Verve Requests Series)
Bill Evans - Trio '65 (Acoustic Sounds)
Duke Ellington - Meets Coleman Hawkins (AS)
Chet Baker & Art Pepper - A Picture of Heath (TP)

That's my rough order, but not sure on Sanders and Coltrane in case I order the VMP Impulse! Anthology (Is that ever coming out?)

Looking to add 1 (and only one) to an order to get to free shipping.

Feels like a can't go wrong situation, but any recommendations out of the following recent releases? (Recs on quality of music, quality of mastering/ pressing, etc):

Pharoah Sanders - Karma (Verve Acoustic Sounds Series)
Harold Vick - Steppin' Out (Tone Poet)
Alice Coltrane - Ptah El Doud (Verve Requests Series)
Bill Evans - Trio '65 (Acoustic Sounds)
Duke Ellington - Meets Coleman Hawkins (AS)
Chet Baker & Art Pepper - A Picture of Heath (TP)

That's my rough order, but not sure on Sanders and Coltrane in case I order the VMP Impulse! Anthology (Is that ever coming out?)
The only one of this list I have is the Bill Evans. Solid music and great pressing.

Back