Jazz

I bought the book when it came out years ago, but it got lost in one of my moves, it had a colourful cover I think.Didnt know about the recordings though. I think the book was just transcripts of the interviews. Good stuff.
For anyone interested in a aural history of Jazz, the Ben Sidran Talking Jazz series is real treasure. Very lucky to have grabbed the box set moons ago.

It’s going to be the MMJ shitshow. Those SRX drops were insanely awful to deal with.
I hate myself but I'm absolutely going to try and buy a few 33s if they do repress them. Probably going to come here and complain about it tho.

Actually, if I get lucky they'll mark me as a scammer again and ban me for life, and that'll solve my dilemma.

Where does this rumor come from?

It seems improbable to me that MMJ will repress the 33 rpms since Blue Note has expanded into this area with both Tone Poet and the Classic series. I guess they have SRX but does anyone want to deal with those drops again? Worst experience of my life. Retail arbitrage has ruined jazz.

Where does this rumor come from?

It seems improbable to me that MMJ will repress the 33 rpms since Blue Note has expanded into this area with both Tone Poet and the Classic series. I guess they have SRX but does anyone want to deal with those drops again? Worst experience of my life. Retail arbitrage has ruined jazz.
I saw people both on Reddit and Hoffman mention it. I’d be a bit surprised too but then again nothing about MMJ surprises me anymore. They have the metal work. I had also heard that they didn’t use up all of their licenses in some cases. John Dark on Facebook awhile back said MMJ had more in store but nothing specific.

Just got the Joe Henderson- Mirror Mirror store exclusive and it’s great! Does anyone have any other records in that Reforest the Legend series from MPS? I’ve had that Oscar Peterson set in my wantlist for awhile but that Joe Pass- Intercontinental album intrigues me too.

Just got the Joe Henderson- Mirror Mirror store exclusive and it’s great! Does anyone have any other records in that Reforest the Legend series from MPS? I’ve had that Oscar Peterson set in my wantlist for awhile but that Joe Pass- Intercontinental album intrigues me too.
I picked up the Freddie Hubbard Store exclusive and it sounds great. I have the Bill Evans and the Joe Henderson on their way to me, so im glad to hear they maintained the quality.

I’ve got the Henderson, Hubbard and the Peterson Box from a few years ago, is that what vmp are releasing?

Any thoughts on the Acoustic Sounds Bill Evans 64' / 65' albums coming out August 27 ?. They are up for preorder now in many places. Almost all of my Evans is digital ("most" is pretty good).
Just a heads up for anyone who pre-ordered ‘65, Mike (owner of the In Groove in Phoenix, AZ) said in his latest video that its been pushed back to April 2022(!). Checked my Amazon pre-order and it is indeed now an April 29, 2022 release date.

Just a heads up for anyone who pre-ordered ‘65, Mike (owner of the In Groove in Phoenix, AZ) said in his latest video that its been pushed back to April 2022(!). Checked my Amazon pre-order and it is indeed now an April 29, 2022 release date.
huh :( I wonder if this is going to have a domino effect on the other upcoming AS releases ?

Seemed to me as is might’ve been a pressing or licensing issue so I hope not! That’s quite a pushback, and the other Evans is still slated for August.
Not a licensing issue, as Universal own the rights and AS have the contract. Given the timing - August releases have been, or are days away, from being pressed in order to meet the release date - the assumption must be that in pressing they found a flaw, which must have been in the lacquer for it to be pushed back so far. If that is the case they have to get the tape again and have a new lacquer cut, hence the long time interval.

Not a licensing issue, as Universal own the rights and AS have the contract. Given the timing - August releases have been, or are days away, from being pressed in order to meet the release date - the assumption must be that in pressing they found a flaw, which must have been in the lacquer for it to be pushed back so far. If that is the case they have to get the tape again and have a new lacquer cut, hence the long time interval.
Yeah that sounds about right. I’m not sure where Bill Evans’ rights stand as far as his estate but I figured it could’ve been something the estate didn’t agree with/didn’t like when they arrived. Pressing issue sounds more likely.

Yeah that sounds about right. I’m not sure where Bill Evans’ rights stand as far as his estate but I figured it could’ve been something the estate didn’t agree with/didn’t like when they arrived. Pressing issue sounds more likely.
Estate has no rights! In this era, the rights to the recordings belong to the label. The estate gets publishing royalties and performance royaties, and, as in the large majority of cases, the estate has no say and would not even get to review a TP. They probably don't even get a copy of the finished product.

Of course, big artists - Miles Davis, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, etc. - who have contracts or ownership of their recordings, are different. They have to approve and give consent. But even an artist like Coltrane who had an astute contract with Impulse has no rights of approval for use of the recordings the label owns.

There are Coltrane master tapes that have never been released by Universal. Some came to auction around 10 years ago, as they were in the posession of Naima Coltrane. Among them was the Shepp ALS master. But most have not been released by UMG, who sent legal notice to the auction house that any master tapes of recordings done while under contract to Impulse are their sole property, which shut down the auction, and UMG only were able to bully their way into acquiring a few.

Sucks to be an artist. Some asshole in a suit in LA makes big bonuses, a conglomerate in France gets it's stakeholders even richer, Chad makes a bundle regurgitating your most popular works while ignoring the ones who aren't cash cows and puts out $100 pressings that yield your estate less that 50 cents each, and your family eats cat food.

Heads up to you European folk, it looks like shipments of the RSD Bill Evans - Behind The Dikes (Resonance Records) release have arrived at distributors.

Zev Feldman got me in contact with one of their distributors and they sent me a copy direct from the JazzMessengers warehouse (along with a free tote bag which was nice). Crazily it took less than 24 hours to get to me as well!!

Heads up to you European folk, it looks like shipments of the RSD Bill Evans - Behind The Dikes (Resonance Records) release have arrived at distributors.

Zev Feldman got me in contact with one of their distributors and they sent me a copy direct from the JazzMessengers warehouse (along with a free tote bag which was nice). Crazily it took less than 24 hours to get to me as well!!
Enjoy! Mine sounded absolutely wonderful.

Back