Jazz

Katanga and Passing Ships are my 2 picks from this year so far and McCoy's Expansions which I think is in the next batch .
So my local just posted a ton of Tone Poet releases that I plan on plundering tomorrow. I already know I'm grabbing Art Blakeys Witch Doctor, but I was curious what are some other favorites I should keep an eye out for?

So my local just posted a ton of Tone Poet releases that I plan on plundering tomorrow. I already know I'm grabbing Art Blakeys Witch Doctor, but I was curious what are some other favorites I should keep an eye out for?

5 of my favorites that could still be around
Curtis Amy Katanga, Dexter Gordon One Flight Up, Paul Chambers Bass On Top, Baby Face Willette Face To Face, Tina Brooks Waiting Game

Finally got a vinyl copy of Immanuel Wilkins "Omega." Really nice sound, looks like a Grundman mastering job. Loving the Isiah Collier 2xlp too. Anyone checked it out?

I've had the Isiah Collier bookmarked on my phone for a couple of weeks now, but haven't gotten around to actually listening to it yet.

I also got my copy of Omega recently, but am away from home for a week before I can spin it. Very excited.

Tomorrow would have been the 93rd birthday of the Jamaican saxophonist Joe Harriott, so I have been digging out some of his records over the past couple of days.

Over the past year or so I have been really diving into the early British jazz scene (almost to an obsessive level to be honest) and just keep uncovering more and more gold. It was such a rich and diverse scene that was overshadowed by its American counterparts and as a result, a lot of the music never really got the recognition it deserved.

I think one of the reasons I'm so interested is that it all happened at my doorstep....in some cases literally. I will post a photo below of a theatre that used to be situated across the road from my window. Tubby Hayes played there as well as several other big named musicians. It's now a relatively bland office building (which has some charm in its own way I suppose). As a Northerner that grew up in a small village, all of this local history is really interesting to me especially when it links to the jazz musicians I listen to today!

Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 13.18.20.png

Tomorrow would have been the 93rd birthday of the Jamaican saxophonist Joe Harriott, so I have been digging out some of his records over the past couple of days.

Over the past year or so I have been really diving into the early British jazz scene (almost to an obsessive level to be honest) and just keep uncovering more and more gold. It was such a rich and diverse scene that was overshadowed by its American counterparts and as a result, a lot of the music never really got the recognition it deserved.

I think one of the reasons I'm so interested is that it all happened at my doorstep....in some cases literally. I will post a photo below of a theatre that used to be situated across the road from my window. Tubby Hayes played there as well as several other big named musicians. It's now a relatively bland office building (which has some charm in its own way I suppose). As a Northerner that grew up in a small village, all of this local history is really interesting to me especially when it links to the jazz musicians I listen to today!

View attachment 105576
Speak of the devil, a new Harriott album from Jazz In Britain!

Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 18.39.59.png

Did you or anyone else order this? I did and it's coming upto a month over schedule with no word of any delays so I'm wondering if others have received it yet?

No I haven't purchased it yet as I didn't expect it to truly sell out on pre-order. I'll pick it up from hhv most likely (it will usually come back in stock once they actually have it in hand) but I see their date also keeps getting pushed back:

Back