Jazz

Breaking in the Lintons with this one that just showed up! Went in completely blind, the playing is great, although I feel like the sound is a bit tinny? Any one else? I’m guessing it’s because it’s a live recording from way back when. I was expecting more of a tone poet sound but this isn’t quite there, feels a bit muffled in places.

View attachment 103632

I only listened with headphones but I don't remember it sounding too tinny. I wasn't disappointed at least.

Nice set up!

Found this release as a recommendation in this thread a few months back and I had ordered it. Giving it a spin now...wow.

It's free jazz, slightly outside my listening comfort zone but it's a hell of a ride. The pressing sounds fantastic!

Also heard a rumour that Sam are repressing the Lester Young title in September
200.gif

Also heard a rumour that Sam are repressing the Lester Young title in September
Going to play this one later if I remember, it's been a while.

When I first 'discovered' Sam Records I popped online and bought a few including the Lester Young. It wasn't until it arrived and I added it to my Discogs that I saw how much it goes for, I must have bought a copy that slipped through the nets or something.

Anyway, glad to see there is enough demand to see these getting reissued, must be nice for Fred at Sam Records to know his effort is appreciated.

The London Jazz Festival has been announced and it's a cracker this year.

There is such a big line-up this year and in the end, I chose to get tickets for Charles Lloyd with Nerija.

Honestly though its just insane, Archie Shepp, Charles Lloyd, Mike Westbrook, John Scofield, Soweto Kinch, Yazz Ahmed, Nerija, Irreversible Entanglements, Sarathy Korwar, Jaimie Branch.......

There is such a big line-up this year and in the end, I chose to get tickets for Charles Lloyd with Nerija.

Honestly though its just insane, Archie Shepp, Charles Lloyd, Mike Westbrook, John Scofield, Soweto Kinch, Yazz Ahmed, Nerija, Irreversible Entanglements, Sarathy Korwar, Jaimie Branch.......

I got tix for irreversible entanglements and jaimie branch a while back, will check out the rest: wonder if I can hire a babysitter for two weeks?

that line up is amazing -- holy cow

I shared this on the 'whats spinning' thread but I figured it would be worthwhile sharing it here as well.

I have just spent the past 2+ hours listening to the Splinters - Inclusivity album preview before its release on Saturday. JIB have posted this a few times on their social media so I don't think I'm giving anything away that hasn't already been shared. It's just a killer killer killer set of recordings and I imagine it's going to be a monster of a physical set. There was a side note on the preview link that highlighted the high shipping cost due to weight, so I imagine it will be several LP's plus a book/booklet of photos and essays.

The line up includes Jeff Clyne, Tubby Hayes, Phil Seamen, John Stevens, Stan Tracey, Trevor Watts and Kenny Wheeler! All British jazz royalty!

a3380357422_16.jpeg

Just a heads up it looks like Acoustic Sounds Verve Series releases of Bill Evans Trio 64' and 65' are now scheduled for release August 27th per their site. My guess is demand was pretty high on those 2.

Last edited:
Back