Jazz

Good morning. I picked up these two at @carolinasoul yesterday. Both are not obvious titles (though maybe they are to some people on this expert thread). Both feature amazing lineups (Timmons LP has Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, and Jimmy Cobb, produced by RVG!). Highly recommend, and the Farrell LP can be had for a relatively low price.

View attachment 89746
Moon Germs is one of the first jazz albums I ever liked-- it's genuinely fantastic.

I don't think I've seen it mentioned. Another Gabór Szabo re-issue

Cheaper than other bigger retailer, but not sure about when it will ship from what they say.

Just came across this article from nearly 6 years ago about Charles Lloyd [whose upcoming Tone Poet release was recently announced], when his album "Wild Man Dance" was released. It mentions in passing:
  • "Mr. Lloyd worked as a teenager with bluesmen like Howlin' Wolf and B. B. King
  • "...Mr. Lloyd's experience of the 1960s, which began with several years as musical director and composer for the Chico Hamilton Quintet, a coolly chamberlike group that also featured the Hungarian guitarist Gabor Szabo."
  • "He moved to Big Sur, and spent most of the next decade making music in idiosyncratic bursts - with Beat poets, or members of the Beach Boys."

Im curious if theres a master list of AAA OJC pressings. I've learned to just jump on most OJC's out in the wild and have yet to regret it. Has anyone seen something like that as a resource floating through the vinyl world? OJC's to me have been one of the best vinyl values outside of BN80's and TP's of course.

No, I think it's hard to tell with sealed copies which are AAA and which are not .
Im curious if theres a master list of AAA OJC pressings. I've learned to just jump on most OJC's out in the wild and have yet to regret it. Has anyone seen something like that as a resource floating through the vinyl world? OJC's to me have been one of the best vinyl values outside of BN80's and TP's of course.

I dug into this topic like a year ago, and no one seems to know the real answer. People were saying all OJCs before OJC-275 were AAA. Some said all the new pressings had a digital step in them because the back cover art says "remastered" on it. However, others pointed out that the "remastered" text on the cover art was just a relic from them reusing the CD cover art for the new vinyl represses and the mastering was really AAA. Overall, it's agreed upon that if you buy the OJCs pressed in the 1980s, they are AAA.

Honestly, I buy OJCs all the time and they almost always sound great. Especially for the money. I stopped fretting about if they truly are AAA and just enjoy the music. My hearing is damaged anyways from 25 years of going to shows.

Noteworthy, if you buy the OJCs of Sonny Rollins Saxophone Collosus, they used the audiophile plates from the DCC (?) Pressing. They scratched it out in the deadwax to try to cover it up, but that's what it is. A true value and one of the best sounding LPs in my collection.

Not sure that there’s an entire comprehensive list. The general rule of thumb I have heard is that if there’s no barcode on back, it’s probably AAA. I think nearly everything pressed before 1992 was AAA. But then you have stuff like the Saxophone Colossus or Tenor Madness where they used DCC plates on lots of presses even as recently as the VMP release of it...

I regret passing on so many OJC reissues. I had heard they were bad and passed on so many that were around $5. Prices have gone up a decent amount but you can still find some every now and again for really cheap.

this is one of the better guides I have seen.

I dug into this topic like a year ago, and no one seems to know the real answer. People were saying all OJCs before OJC-275 were AAA. Some said all the new pressings had a digital step in them because the back cover art says "remastered" on it. However, others pointed out that the "remastered" text on the cover art was just a relic from them reusing the CD cover art for the new vinyl represses and the mastering was really AAA. Overall, it's agreed upon that if you buy the OJCs pressed in the 1980s, they are AAA.

Honestly, I buy OJCs all the time and they almost always sound great. Especially for the money. I stopped fretting about if they truly are AAA and just enjoy the music. My hearing is damaged anyways from 25 years of going to shows.

Noteworthy, if you buy the OJCs of Sonny Rollins Saxophone Collosus, they used the audiophile plates from the DCC (?) Pressing. They scratched it out in the deadwax to try to cover it up, but that's what it is. A true value and one of the best sounding LPs in my collection.
Yep the VMP saxophone colossus was DCC. So was tenor madness.

Grabbed some Miles OJCs (Relaxin, Workin, Cookin') and very surpised at the sound quality for the price
Just grabbed Workin and Cookin today as Barnes and Noble, Cookin is on really beautiful red/black smoke vinyl, apparently it’s a BN exclusive but it sounds wonderful. I feel like Barnes and Noble’s curator knows what’s up. I always end up surprised by what I find when I end up in that store.

Not sure that there’s an entire comprehensive list. The general rule of thumb I have heard is that if there’s no barcode on back, it’s probably AAA. I think nearly everything pressed before 1992 was AAA. But then you have stuff like the Saxophone Colossus or Tenor Madness where they used DCC plates on lots of presses even as recently as the VMP release of it...

I regret passing on so many OJC reissues. I had heard they were bad and passed on so many that were around $5. Prices have gone up a decent amount but you can still find some every now and again for really cheap.

this is one of the better guides I have seen.
This is an epic resource and good pointers. Going to go Discogs hunting now for a couple. Want to grab Bill Evan’s “Interplay” (very interesting Bill Evans album I heard today for the first time. Bill Evans in a much more up-tempo hardbop environment with Freddie Hubbard, Jim Hall and Philly Joe Jones”) I’m also eager to get my hands on the Bill Evans and Cannonball Adderley record

This is an epic resource and good pointers. Going to go Discogs hunting now for a couple. Want to grab Bill Evan’s “Interplay” (very interesting Bill Evans album I heard today for the first time. Bill Evans in a much more up-tempo hardbop environment with Freddie Hubbard, Jim Hall and Philly Joe Jones”) I’m also eager to get my hands on the Bill Evans and Cannonball Adderley record
That Interplay is not the best pressing. I went through a couple copies that were warped. I finally ended up with a clean copy, but it's not that great. Also, check eBay for that Cannonball and Bill record. I was able to grab an OJC reissue for about $10. Also look for the Evans record Qunitessential. It's really good!

That Interplay is not the best pressing. I went through a couple copies that were warped. I finally ended up with a clean copy, but it's not that great. Also, check eBay for that Cannonball and Bill record. I was able to grab an OJC reissue for about $10. Also look for the Evans record Qunitessential. It's really good!
Did you have a recent Interplay OJC? I was thinking of looking for an earlier 80’s OJC release if available! I’ll keep an eye out on eBay, I’ve criminally underutilized it as a tool for vinyl deals. The bidding aspect always frustrates me lol. I’ll give Quintessential a listen tonight, thanks!

Just grabbed Workin and Cookin today as Barnes and Noble, Cookin is on really beautiful red/black smoke vinyl, apparently it’s a BN exclusive but it sounds wonderful. I feel like Barnes and Noble’s curator knows what’s up. I always end up surprised by what I find when I end up in that store.
Ya I think those are from Craft. They own OJC’s catalogue. They aren’t very open about if they are AAA or digital source but I’ve heard good things about the sound on some of those. The dead wax might be more revealing but not sure those have the dead wax listed on discogs.

Did you have a recent Interplay OJC? I was thinking of looking for an earlier 80’s OJC release if available! I’ll keep an eye out on eBay, I’ve criminally underutilized it as a tool for vinyl deals. The bidding aspect always frustrates me lol. I’ll give Quintessential a listen tonight, thanks!
Ebay used to be an absolutely incredible place to get deals. Not as much anymore—deals are still there but just harder to find now. If you do some regular searching you can find steals. As recently as the last 6 months I was still able to find NM MMJ titles for $30 or so.

Back