Jazz

Just listening to the Subscribers preview of the next Jazz In Britain release and it is FANTASTIC!!!

There's going to be a lot of happy people when this drops, its great!

Yeah, I guess this is selling purely on hype. The FP/Sanders/Orchestra combo sounds really interesting to be honest. This screams 21st century spiritual jazz, and I'm all for it.

Michael Fremer says both the music and pressing are very good:

Nice thanks for posting that. Preordered the basic pressing. Just seems like such a strange record to be selling out all over the place, but hey, more folks listening to jazz is a good thing!

Abbey Lincoln - Abbey Is Blue
Anybody know anything about this reissue? Based on the UPC it looks like it might be a Craft reissue but there is nothing on the Craft site.
Amazon product ASIN B08TZM53RW
Gave it a stream last and really liked it, definitely in the Billie Holiday wheelhouse. With killer backing bands
Abbey Lincoln: vocals; Kenny Dorham, Tommy Turrentine: trumpet; Wynton Kelly, Cedar Walton, Phil Wright: piano; Les Spann: guitar, flute; Sam Jones, Bobby Boswell: bass; Philly Joe Jones, Max Roach: drums

I wonder if this will get distributed to Dusty Grooves? I plan on picking it up, but it doesn't look like it's limited, so I'm guessing it'll be fine to wait until it's in the US.
Limited to 500 copies by the looks of it. @britprogjazz will be able to let you know about US distribution but they usually hold some back for the US and Japanese markets.

I wonder if this will get distributed to Dusty Grooves? I plan on picking it up, but it doesn't look like it's limited, so I'm guessing it'll be fine to wait until it's in the US.

I think it’s limited to 500, but I’m sure @britprogjazz will have an allocation for Dusty Grooves.

Waiting on my Craft One Step of the Coltrane Lush Life and noticed online that these are selling for around $500 on the secondary market. Which seems insane to me. Then I look at some of the MoFi one-steps, that Santana Abraxas averages at $1200 with a high sale near $2k on discogs. Just crazy. This will be my first one step, so I'm eager to see if I'll noticed the difference on my setup. Also regretting not jumping on that Bill Evans Trio Village Vanguard one step when I had the chance.

Waiting on my Craft One Step of the Coltrane Lush Life and noticed online that these are selling for around $500 on the secondary market. Which seems insane to me. Then I look at some of the MoFi one-steps, that Santana Abraxas averages at $1200 with a high sale near $2k on discogs. Just crazy. This will be my first one step, so I'm eager to see if I'll noticed the difference on my setup. Also regretting not jumping on that Bill Evans Trio Village Vanguard one step when I had the chance.
If the vinyl market keeps moving towards high priced collectables and exclusivity, it will be the death of the vinyl resurgance IMO.

A new one from Sam Records is up for pre-order. Funnily enough, I ordered from Sam's a few weeks back and received an email from Fred today to say that all their international packages have been stuck in France for weeks and looks to be an issue, so he sent a new order without me even asking.

Anyway, the interesting thing about this one is that there is a caveat stating it will ALSO be released as the second in their Artisan series, limited to 200 with a screen-printed cover. Im VERY tempted to wait and go for that one, its going to be pricey but the first one is apparently excellent.

Billy-Harper_01.jpg

Since I am a huge follower of Billy Harper, I pre-ordered this the minute I could click 'pay'.

It's about the music. Silk-screened cover doesn't get me to orgasm, only good enough for maybe dinner & drinks.
I think it's a great idea what Sam Records have done here actually. Although I regrettably didn't get the first on (Byrd Jazz), they are essentially providing something really unique. We often talk about having a definitive high-quality pressing of an album and now Sam is looking to provide the same level of detail for the artwork, which is a really cool idea. I remember seeing the video's for the Byrd Jazz and it really is a meticulous, handcrafted process. I have to commend them, especially considering its essentially a 1-man label.

This might be of interest to UK folk. This is the 'definitive' box set of Ornette Coleman's live performance at Fairfield Hall in Croydon, UK.

Coleman got around the music union's rule of having to 'swap' jazz musicians from the UK and US to allow them to tour by adding some classical musicians to his group (classical musicians were unrestricted). This 2lp set was reissued as 2 separate RSD releases a few years back but this box set is clearly the better option as it also comes with a booklet (and its cheaper!).

Anyway, might be worth a punt as its opening at £4. I have the set and definitely recommend it. Its the performance which pushed him into third stream and shortly after this he went on to record 'Skies Of America'

This might be of interest to UK folk. This is the 'definitive' box set of Ornette Coleman's live performance at Fairfield Hall in Croydon, UK.

Coleman got around the music union's rule of having to 'swap' jazz musicians from the UK and US to allow them to tour by adding some classical musicians to his group (classical musicians were unrestricted). This 2lp set was reissued as 2 separate RSD releases a few years back but this box set is clearly the better option as it also comes with a booklet (and its cheaper!).

Anyway, might be worth a punt as its opening at £4. I have the set and definitely recommend it. Its the performance which pushed him into third stream and shortly after this he went on to record 'Skies Of America'

Cheers. I've put an opening bid down.

Back