Jazz

Does anyone here have a record from the Venus label? Japanese label. I think they are very high quality but I’ve never bought a record on that label.

I have three Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, one reissue and two live recordings. I don't remember anything wrong with the first two I received and I haven't played the most recent, recorded live at Jazz Is, released in November. I'll give it a spin tonight.

I just had a magazine arrive from Japan which you guys might enjoy. Its called 'Gateway To Jazz Kissa - Vol 1' and I bought the English version. I saw the Japanese version pop up a few times on Instagram and then found out that they were releasing a limited batch of English versions, which led me to get a copy. A Jazz Kissa is a cafe/coffee shop which plays jazz music. Usually, their format of choice is vinyl, I read an interesting statistic that said there are approx 600 Jazz Kissa's in Japan and 90% of them focus on vinyl.

Anyway, the magazine has some fantastic full-page spreads with some great photos. I haven't read the text yet but there seems to be quite a few articles and interviews. I ordered my copy from JAZZ CITY.STORE and it cost £13.83 inc postage which I thought was really good considering its from Japan. It only took 9 days from ordering to arrive as well.

IMG_7153 3.JPG

I just had a magazine arrive from Japan which you guys might enjoy. Its called 'Gateway To Jazz Kissa - Vol 1' and I bought the English version. I saw the Japanese version pop up a few times on Instagram and then found out that they were releasing a limited batch of English versions, which led me to get a copy. A Jazz Kissa is a cafe/coffee shop which plays jazz music. Usually, their format of choice is vinyl, I read an interesting statistic that said there are approx 600 Jazz Kissa's in Japan and 90% of them focus on vinyl.

Anyway, the magazine has some fantastic full-page spreads with some great photos. I haven't read the text yet but there seems to be quite a few articles and interviews. I ordered my copy from JAZZ CITY.STORE and it cost £13.83 inc postage which I thought was really good considering its from Japan. It only took 9 days from ordering to arrive as well.

View attachment 83615
More to the point, what filing system are you using for those two top shelves?!?

More to the point, what filing system are you using for those two top shelves?!?
I have a 2x4 Kallax which is all jazz (plus a few more cubes in a separate unit next to it). They are all alphabetical apart from the top 2 cubes, which are Blue Notes and Impulse! in catalogue order. Im weirdly so used to linking the number to the album in my head that it works just as easily for me.

I have a 2x4 Kallax which is all jazz (plus a few more cubes in a separate unit next to it). They are all alphabetical apart from the top 2 cubes, which are Blue Notes and Impulse! in catalogue order. Im weirdly so used to linking the number to the album in my head that it works just as easily for me.
Honestly that would have bugged me all day!! I just saw Burrell then Blakey and then Ambrose, at which point my head exploded. I knew there would be a logic to it but couldn't work it out!!

Have to say it's an annoyingly awesome collection 😁

Honestly that would have bugged me all day!! I just saw Burrell then Blakey and then Ambrose, at which point my head exploded. I knew there would be a logic to it but couldn't work it out!!

Have to say it's an annoyingly awesome collection 😁
Hahaha I totally get you. I see photos of peoples collection and cant fathom how it works, but I guess everyone has their own way of sorting them.

My vinyl is in no order at all since moving 5 years ago :( I don't know where anything is, but I do have a bunch of Blue Note together.

I will attempt to organise this year (last year I put up a wall of kallax), I was thinking how other people organise Blue Notes. Do you have all the TP's, BN80's as distinct series, are all the blue notes by original numbers, or in alphabetical order?

Edit - Even after putting up the wall of Kallax I've run out of space. I really need to get rid of the crap

My vinyl is in no order at all since moving 5 years ago :( I don't know where anything is, but I do have a bunch of Blue Note together.

I will attempt to organise this year (last year I put up a wall of kallax), I was thinking how other people organise Blue Notes. Do you have all the TP's, BN80's as distinct series, are all the blue notes by original numbers, or in alphabetical order?
So this might not sound logical to some people, but I have Blue Notes split into 3. The majority of the bulk are in catalogue order (the BLP___). I have Tone Poets in their own cube in order of release. Then I have the more expensive ones in a wine box :ROFLMAO:

So this might not sound logical to some people, but I have Blue Notes split into 3. The majority of the bulk are in catalogue order (the BLP___). I have Tone Poets in their own cube in order of release. Then I have the more expensive ones in a wine box :ROFLMAO:

I used to have a wine box for 'now playing' but it wasn't quite wide enough.

Most of my collection is not in the room with my HiFi so I have a number of 'crates' for just in & now playing

Your copy of SV have any significant inner groove distortion?
I do not hear any inner groove distortion on either side A or B. I get some faint sibilance with her voice at times but I’m almost certain that’s the tape since the instruments sound fine. Is it a problem with this record? I have an AT-LP120 TT with a AT-VM540ML cart by the way.

I do not hear any inner groove distortion on either side A or B. I get some faint sibilance with her voice at times but I’m almost certain that’s the tape since the instruments sound fine. Is it a problem with this record? I have an AT-LP120 TT with a AT-VM540ML cart by the way.
Not sure, mine was pretty horrible but I think I’m just realizing my stylus is worn down. Getting super muddy bass, lots of sibilance, and harsh/distorted highs on just about any record with a vocal presence the past 2 weeks. I got The Doors LA Woman from Analogue Productions two weeks ago and it sounded fucking HORRIBLE.

Not sure, mine was pretty horrible but I think I’m just realizing my stylus is worn down. Getting super muddy bass, lots of sibilance, and harsh/distorted highs on just about any record with a vocal presence the past 2 weeks. I got The Doors LA Woman from Analogue Productions two weeks ago and it sounded fucking HORRIBLE.
Oh man yeah it sounds like it might be time for a new stylus. Hopefully that’s all. How many hours on it?

Oh man yeah it sounds like it might be time for a new stylus. Hopefully that’s all. How many hours on it?
Unfortunately I wasn’t keeping track but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between 400-500. All of which have been played through lightly cleaned vinyl. Just got a spin clean this past week, prior to that it’s been surface cleaning with a spray and velvet brush :/.

Unfortunately I wasn’t keeping track but if I had to guess I would say somewhere between 400-500. All of which have been played through lightly cleaned vinyl. Just got a spin clean this past week, prior to that it’s been surface cleaning with a spray and velvet brush :/.
That's pretty low to have issues with wear unless it was damaged or something.

Did you bump your TT and something get out of line? Check your tracking force? I suppose your stylus could be nearing the end at any rate. What do you use? 1000 hours is a pretty good estimate to replace your stylus so long as you aren’t abusing it with really dirty records.

That's pretty low to have issues with wear unless it was damaged or something.
Did you bump your TT and something get out of line? Check your tracking force? I suppose your stylus could be nearing the end at any rate. What do you use? 1000 hours is a pretty good estimate to replace your stylus so long as you aren’t abusing it with really dirty records.
I use an Ortofon Blue with my Fluance RT85.

That's what I thought as well but I'm out of variables to test. I've checked the anti-skate, the tracking force, deep cleaned the records that are problematic multiple times, yada yada yada.

So, it must've been damaged at some point along the way. I'm relatively new to taking care of my records/styli and did not clean either very well or consistently for much of the past year. I've only recently been able to invest in a ZeroDust and wet clean system for my records, got some replacement Shibata's OTW that I'm going to A/B test on the problematic records when they arrive.

Recently spun my Al Green - Call Me (VMP Press) and it sounded really really muddy and out of whack. My fiance was listening with me and spoke up to say "I didn't want to say anything but this sounds really bad, it just sounds loud but there's no clarity or depth". I remember when I first got my table, listening to that album was a very different experience.

SIGH

I use an Ortofon Blue with my Fluance RT85.

That's what I thought as well but I'm out of variables to test. I've checked the anti-skate, the tracking force, deep cleaned the records that are problematic multiple times, yada yada yada.

So, it must've been damaged at some point along the way. I'm relatively new to taking care of my records/styli and did not clean either very well or consistently for much of the past year. I've only recently been able to invest in a ZeroDust and wet clean system for my records, got some replacement Shibata's OTW that I'm going to A/B test on the problematic records when they arrive.

Recently spun my Al Green - Call Me (VMP Press) and it sounded really really muddy and out of whack. My fiance was listening with me and spoke up to say "I didn't want to say anything but this sounds really bad, it just sounds loud but there's no clarity or depth". I remember when I first got my table, listening to that album was a very different experience.

SIGH
Make sure nothing is coating your stylus tip too. I’ve had a handful of records that looked perfect but there was something nasty in the grooves and for some reason the zero dust couldn’t get it off the stylus tip. I literally had to (carefully) scape gunk off the tip with my fingernail. You unfortunately might just have to replace your stylus if nothing else fixes it. Hopefully it’s just that.

Back