Jazz

I don't know if this has already been posted, but the (Prestige) Jazzman spiritual jazz comp is out:

I got a few of the Vital Vinyl series and they all sounded good, not as good as the Tone Poet but they are half the price. A lot better than the BN 75. The Ella sings Cole porter I thought was excellent value.

Last edited:
You mean the Impulse. 😉
I don't know if this has already been posted, but the (Prestige) Jazzman spiritual jazz comp is out:

It is definitely the Vital Vinyl reissue. Just received. Haven't had time to listen yet - probably tomorrow.

I'm listening now (Oliver Nelson - Blues and Abstract Truth Vital Vinyl via Amazon) and it's pretty great. I'm still on Side A, but I have almost no complaints so far. The vinyl itself looks very good, though it came out of the sleeve pretty filthy with paper bits and some dust.

I'm waiting on the AP 45RPM backorder, but this will certainly do for now.

Thanks again, @Selaws !

I have seen a lot of their titles get repressed but sometimes it is a long time between. Not sure on it being a sure thing or not.

I actually checked back in my email and saw this reply I got from AS directly about the Oliver Nelson backorder...

We appreciate your interest! At this time, there's no projected re-press date for this title. It has not been deemed out of print, but it can be a long wait between pressings sometimes.

We pre-authorize credit cards when the backorder is placed, but that pre-authorization falls off within a few days, and we do not charge until the order actually ships.

Last edited:
Great jazz mixes by the owners of two of the best records shops in Paris when it co MY FAVORITE THINGS — Show #27 w/ Manu Boubli (Superfly Records)

Psycut’s set (Future classics)
01 – Asher Gamedze – Siyabulela (2020)
02 – Phi-Psonics – The Cradle (2020)
03 – Raffy Bushman – Look Up (2020)
04 – Tenderlonious – Rocco’s Raga (2020)
05 – Hania Rani – Buka (2020)
06 – Mistura Pura – Midnight For Tommy (2020)
07 – Cool Affair & Sisonke Xonti – The Real New World Order (2020)
08 – Okvsho – Kamala’s Danz (2020)
09 – Caixa Cubo – Palavras (2020)
10 – Azymuth, Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Adrian Younge – Sumaré (2020)
11 – A Bossa Elétrica – Sob a Luz Do Sol (2020)

Manu Boubli’s set (Forgotten and very rare spiritual jazz nuggets)
12 – Count Ossie & The Mystic Revelation Of Rastafari – Poem (1972)
13 – Catalyst – Bahia (1976)
14 – Bob Marley – Talkin’ 6
15 – The Lightmen Plus One – Ashie (1971)
16 – Build An Ark – Peace And Love (2004)
17 – Gary McFarland – Pecos Pete (1964)
18 – Imani – Just Another Love Song (1983)
19 – Jack Wilkins – Red Clay (1973)
20 – Jeanne Lee – The Miracle Is (1975)
21 – Brother Ah – Key To Nowhere (1983)
22 – Ayizan – Tribilasyon (1984)
23 – Solomon G. Ilori – Prayer (1962)
24 – Steve Colson Unity – Lateen (1980)
25 – David Wertman Sun Ensemble – Forrest Dance (1983)
26 – Sun Ra And His Outer Space Arkestra – Nuclear War (1983)

Enjoy!

Discovered Raffy Bushman thanks to this mix (cheers for sharing @Skalap).

He's just dropped a five-track EP on Spotify/Bandcamp and it's definitely worth a listen. Hoping it sees a physical release at some point.

I received my copy of Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto from Bullmoose! Great news as these are making their way into the wild.

Really nice packaging and booklet.
I’m really enjoying this one. Streamed it this morning and surprised at how good the recording is, considering it was recorded by the school janitor!

I’m really enjoying this one. Streamed it this morning and surprised at how good the recording is, considering it was recorded by the school janitor!
Funnily enough, I have been listening to recordings I made at live gigs this morning. Its all just very basic stuff, just recorded on an iPhone, but captures the music and feel of the live gig (some better than others). Makes me appreciate just how good these guys (like the janitor) were at taping performances. People give stick to the Dean Benedetti tapes of Charlie Parker (although to be fair he had the annoying habit of only recording Parkers solos) for the audio quality but its certainly impressive considering the lack of technology they were working with.

Anyone pick up the 60th Anniversary pressing of Giant Steps that came out today? Amazon delayed my order, which I'm kinda happy about because I'd like to know how it sounds first. Source details seem to be hard to come by.
Yeah I am in this exact same boat and was wondering about the same thing. I tried looking around yesterday and i couldn't find anything.

Yeah I am in this exact same boat and was wondering about the same thing. I tried looking around yesterday and i couldn't find anything.
I would appreciate any guidance anyone has on good pressings of this at a decent price. Its one I don't have thats at the top of my list, but figured I'd wait to see what this one was like first.

I would appreciate any guidance anyone has on good pressings of this at a decent price. Its one I don't have thats at the top of my list, but figured I'd wait to see what this one was like first.
I have a stereo pressing from the 70’s that was pretty good, and the Kevin Gray mono from a few years back. Both are good and I can’t really make up my mind which presentation is better. Maybe the edge goes to the mono imo. Fantastic music, but Atlantic wasn’t known for producing audiophile jazz recordings.

Back