Jazz

I have a question for you audiophiles (perhaps one I might add to the 'Definitive Audiophile pressings' thread).

I was watching this youtube video of a guy that bought $25,113 worth of audiophile pressings and he showed a lot of the Classic Records Single Sided 45rpm releases. As an example, the Sonny Rollins - Bridge is split across 4 single-sided records. Im just wondering what benefit there is to it being single sided? From every aspect, it seems like more of an inconvenience (switching, storage, etc), so im guessing there is a benefit to the audio somehow?

For everyone that's looking to avoid VMP, the Soul Jazz reissue series is starting to see pre-orders for the standard pressings. This has also confirmed the next 2 releases in the 4-part series (there's also an additional limited pressing of an extra one for RSD). It looks like it's going to be 'Doug Carn feat. The Voice of Jean Carn - Spirit Of The New Land' and 'The Awakening - Hear, Sense And Feel'.

Sound Of The Universe here in London have the pre-orders up for £26 each

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 12.14.38.png

I was looking to buy this but settled on a late 80’s Blue Note pressing of it that I bought like three days ago ha! Should be here in a week or so. Does anyone have that and care to share how it sounds?

I have it-- listened just a week ago. It sounds fine, not amazing. I don't have anything to compare it to though, to be fair. It just sounds a little flat and lifeless. Not sure if it's the recording or the mastering or what.

I was looking to buy this but settled on a late 80’s Blue Note pressing of it that I bought like three days ago ha! Should be here in a week or so. Does anyone have that and care to share how it sounds?
Not sure but I should have it soon! I’ve said it in other threads But anything in the MD store that’s MoFi and says out of stock of awaiting repress WILL actually get restocked or repressed eventually. If you see anything you want (most of the Miles 45RPM MoFis are OOS or Awaiting repress for example and a bunch of the Grateful Dead albums) you can order it now and when it’s back in stock you’ll get it. I don’t think they charge until it’s fulfilled. Only thing I noticed is if you order multiple OOS or awaiting repress items in a single order, they will hold until everything is in stock.

Sadly, those are OOP (if it's not on the site, it won't get repressed it seems). It is worth noting that there seems to be a reissue of Seeds of Love coming out in October!

I had a chance to buy each for $20 years ago, what a missed opportunity. I have originals of each but I heard the MOFIs were pretty awesome. Hopefully the upcoming SOL reissue turns out good!

I had a chance to buy each for $20 years ago, what a missed opportunity. I have originals of each but I heard the MOFIs were pretty awesome. Hopefully the upcoming SOL reissue turns out good!
I have heard that Songs from the Big Chair MoFi is really great. I have an OG of that and it's just a really well recorded and mixed album.

I have heard that Songs from the Big Chair MoFi is really great. I have an OG of that and it's just a really well recorded and mixed album.
I also have an OG of SFTBC and agree that it sounds fantastic. Man, that intro to the Working Hour gets me every time.

I do have the MOFI SOL and it’s just an all around beautiful package that sounds fantastic. I might grab the upcoming picture disc because I really love the album art.

That's a pretty nice price compared to what this is going for in the secondary market...I may grab another copy.
I think people don’t realize that if it’s on the Music Direct site that it’s not out of print. I keep seeing some insane prices on albums on eBay and other sites and hope that people realize that they will come back into stock. People are selling Kind of Blue for $150 and it will be repressed soon.

Is this a good entry point to Bill Evans? I shockingly don’t own any of his albums.
I wouldn’t say it’s the best entry point necessarily but it’s a really solid album. It’s just piano and guitar. I like a lot of his trio stuff and that’s what people tend to know Evans for. A lot can be gotten for good prices on OJC if you’re looking for a good entry point on the cheaper side! Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Portrait in Jazz are the two most well-known probably. He has some of those good twofers as well. This one has Portrait in Jazz and Explorations on it and I’ve heard this twofer is pretty good sounding:

I wouldn’t say it’s the best entry point necessarily but it’s a really solid album. It’s just piano and guitar. I like a lot of his trio stuff and that’s what people tend to know Evans for. A lot can be gotten for good prices on OJC if you’re looking for a good entry point on the cheaper side! Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Portrait in Jazz are the two most well-known probably. He has some of those good twofers as well. This one has Portrait in Jazz and Explorations on it and I’ve heard this twofer is pretty good sounding:

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a listen. A MOFI at that price seems like such a deal but I should make sure I like the album first!

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a listen. A MOFI at that price seems like such a deal but I should make sure I like the album first!
I don’t mean to undersell the album. I think it’s good. You can also easily resell it for what you paid for it if you don’t end up liking it.

It just wouldn’t be my first pick for a Bill Evans album if I was recommending one to someone. But for the price I don’t think it’s a bad pickup at all.

Worth noting this is part of the Silver Label series for which that is the standard price. It's a little confusing to know exactly what that means but supposedly it doesn't mean from original masters. Whether or not it is AAA from copy tape or digital may vary from title to title and I have had a hard time nailing down.

**Does not mean they can't sound great, of course.

Back