Jazz

Love Africa/Brass, I’ve got the Speakers Corner and A 76 Japanese copy, the Japanese sounds better to me.
There’s a Deluxe 2 CD with other tracks that were recorded at the session that’s great as well, Are you reading the Love Supreme book by Kahn ? That’s great.
Alright Jazz friends, officially rethinking this whole A Love Supreme thing especially after reading the book (about halfway through and really curious what the rest of The book is since the Quartet just played Antibes). What's the scoop on Africa/Brass? Is Wax Time seriously the only in print currently? Is there a reissue forthcoming? What's the pressing to keep my eye out for?

Alright Jazz friends, officially rethinking this whole A Love Supreme thing especially after reading the book (about halfway through and really curious what the rest of The book is since the Quartet just played Antibes). What's the scoop on Africa/Brass? Is Wax Time seriously the only in print currently? Is there a reissue forthcoming? What's the pressing to keep my eye out for?
I have a clean cheap 1979 press of this that sounds great to my ears. They were still using the analog masters. If you don’t want to spend $50 on RVG press...

Love Africa/Brass, I’ve got the Speakers Corner and A 76 Japanese copy, the Japanese sounds better to me.
There’s a Deluxe 2 CD with other tracks that were recorded at the session that’s great as well, Are you reading the Love Supreme book by Kahn ? That’s great.
Finished yesterday, it was a great read.

ECR releasing a stereo copy of Everybody Digs Bill Evans. it would cost like ~$400 shipped to America... am I insane for considering this? I probably won't get this release since my OJC copy actually sounds pretty nice. But man, I might go nuts on one of these.

Anyone own an ECR release?
I've seen quite a few people post about them in the past (different forums) and rave about them. Personally I'm definitely against paying anything near that for something which isnt an original pressing, but I understand why people would, especially if its an album which means a lot to them.

Having said that I fully expect this to sell out within a few days. The mono pressing they released earlier in the year sold out quickly and currently sells for £500 on discogs (only one listed is for £700).

It’s obscene.

ECR releasing a stereo copy of Everybody Digs Bill Evans. it would cost like ~$400 shipped to America... am I insane for considering this? I probably won't get this release since my OJC copy actually sounds pretty nice. But man, I might go nuts on one of these.

Anyone knows a place that sells Cam Jazz releases? I'm particulary interested in the Antonio Sánchez "Three times three" album, but the shipping is too high on the label's store. I would appreciate it if anyone found this record elsewhere. Also, give this album a listen if you haven't already: Drummer Antonio Sánchez (Birdman OST, Pat Metheny Group, etc) leading 3 different trios comprised by Brad Mehldau/Matt Brewer, Christian McBride/John Scofield and Joe Lovano/John Patitucci.

Anyone knows a place that sells Cam Jazz releases? I'm particulary interested in the Antonio Sánchez "Three times three" album, but the shipping is too high on the label's store. I would appreciate it if anyone found this record elsewhere. Also, give this album a listen if you haven't already: Drummer Antonio Sánchez (Birdman OST, Pat Metheny Group, etc) leading 3 different trios comprised by Brad Mehldau/Matt Brewer, Christian McBride/John Scofield and Joe Lovano/John Patitucci.
Here you go: Three Times Three W/ Brad Mehldau (Gatefold) - Jazz Messengers

am I insane for considering this?
giphy.gif

I have heard that their stuff is amazing but...it's also $400 or so with shipping. I personally don't know that any record is worth that...although I have been eyeballing the Bill Evans One Steps which are really steep in price now...but I could probably get both One Steps for the price of that one album.

My issue with albums that cost a lot too is that part of me is afraid to play them too much because I'm worried I'll damage them by being clumsy and dropping the record or bumping into the turntable and causing a scratch haha

I've seen quite a few people post about them in the past (different forums) and rave about them. Personally I'm definitely against paying anything near that for something which isnt an original pressing, but I understand why people would, especially if its an album which means a lot to them.

Having said that I fully expect this to sell out within a few days. The mono pressing they released earlier in the year sold out quickly and currently sells for £500 on discogs (only one listed is for £700).
In addition to my previous point, and adding on from @MikeH, I would also be hesitant to send this amount on a 'definitive pressing' unless I had a top top top quality set up. This hobby hits a point where £2000 set ups quickly jump to the £10,000's and those levels are where you start to draw out the microscopic musical nuances. To play a ERC release on those set-ups might be worth it, but I doubt the improvement I would hear on my set up would be that much different when compared to a solid first pressing or reissue.

In addition to my previous point, and adding on from @MikeH, I would also be hesitant to send this amount on a 'definitive pressing' unless I had a top top top quality set up. This hobby hits a point where £2000 set ups quickly jump to the £10,000's and those levels are where you start to draw out the microscopic musical nuances. To play a ERC release on those set-ups might be worth it, but I doubt the improvement I would hear on my set up would be that much different when compared to a solid first pressing or reissue.
I don’t know, my experience with one steps and gain 2 mofis leads me to believe differently. As @HiFi Guy says start at the source and the vinyl is the source. I’m not touching that price point, but it could be snake oil, it could be sublime... no way of knowing unless you take the plunge.

I don’t know, my experience with one steps and gain 2 mofis leads me to believe differently. As @HiFi Guy says start at the source and the vinyl is the source. I’m not touching that price point, but it could be snake oil, it could be sublime... no way of knowing unless you take the plunge.
I understand your point and Mofi's sound like a step-up on my system too, but when we are comparing the £95 for a One-Step (which looks to be the price from the Mofi website) to a £400 ERC, I can't help but believe a chunk of the jump in sound quality would be missed on a standard set-up. Either that or they are just pricing themselves up due to the limited pressing.

I was just looking at Coltrane’s discography on Allmusic... is there a chronology of when his albums were recorded somewhere?

I understand your point and Mofi's sound like a step-up on my system too, but when we are comparing the £95 for a One-Step (which looks to be the price from the Mofi website) to a £400 ERC, I can't help but believe a chunk of the jump in sound quality would be missed on a standard set-up. Either that or they are just pricing themselves up due to the limited pressing.
I know audiophile classical stuff has big MSRP. Maybe the success of MMJ and mofi have opened up that market for Jazz (although given that I think Jazz has a big reel to reel audience, it’s possible that this has always been the case and we are just the bargain basement jazz fans! Lol)

Back