Jazz

@Skalap Thanks for sending the second email and letting us know.
Steph is a really nice guy - we’ve had some conversations in the past and he was always very helpful.

Not really sure if this is a worthwhile tip (might be for you US based folk) but anyway....

I've been after the Bill Evans - Evans In England for a while now, and thoroughly regret not picking it up. I did see it on RSD but my local had it priced at £45 which at the time I thought was too much (still is pricy but wish i'd of bought it!). Anyway, I was checking the Resonance Records website and it was sold out for ages but now seems to be back in stock. The shipping from the US is killer but I threw in a couple of compilations I was looking for (the Bill Evans and Wes Montgomery best of Resonance) and the 3 came to £99 inc shipping. Pricey for sure but I haven't seen a second-hand copy of 'Evans In England' go for less than £70 inc shipping on ebay.

Also, im not sure if this is widely known (it wasnt on the RSD website when they first released the list) but the 'Bill Evans - Some Other Time: The Lost Session From The Black Forest' is being re-released on RSD as another 2lp set. Certainly worth looking into

Another RSD release has been pushed forward to today, this time its Richard Spaven - Spaven's 5ive from Jazz Re:freshed. Been excited for this one so im going to put the order in today. @Skalap I know you like this series. Heres the link to Spaven's bandcamp, although I have to say charging £5.50 postage on a £20 record has caused me to look elsewhere for the time being.

Spaven's 5ive., by Richard Spaven

Less than 100 copies available.

Went on a bit of a late night discogs buying streak last night...grabbed two albums I’ve been wanting for awhile now at what I think are great prices. Got Madlib’s High Jazz for $35 and an OG pressing of Joe Pass - Guitar Interludes for $24 in VG+ condition. Fingers crossed they arrive safely and are actually what I ordered!

For anybody in Europe eyeing the new album from Quin Kirchner/anything from Astral Spirits, I just got this email from them. Last bit is about a repress of his amazing first album, which he said was coming but sounds a little less certain now. Definitely worth checking out though.

Quin's new record like the rest of the Astral Spirits catalog will be distributed through Revolver. I believe they do send some copies overseas to record shops IF of course the shops order copies, so please do bug your local shops to order the record and hopefully they will be able to get it. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of places in the EU that carry Astral Spirits titles because the shipping is so expensive (for me to send 10 LP's to Europe it costs are $100US in shipping, it's insanity). Hopefully that won't last forever. For now, Bandcamp is my best option to get records to people and not lose money while doing so.

The main place that I personally do direct wholesale with in Europe is SoundOhm in Italy. They carry most everything that we put out and will definitely have copies of Quin's record. I can't guarantee when they will have them but hopefully not long after the release date (the pressing plant that is pressing the record has been shut down for the past month so they are a bit behind now).

The repress of the first album is still up in the air if and when it'll happen. Things are a bit all over the place as far as pressing schedules etc due to the coronavirus pandemic and it's been a pretty hectic challenge to even try to keep up with the label as normal.

For anybody in Europe eyeing the new album from Quin Kirchner/anything from Astral Spirits, I just got this email from them. Last bit is about a repress of his amazing first album, which he said was coming but sounds a little less certain now. Definitely worth checking out though.

Quin's new record like the rest of the Astral Spirits catalog will be distributed through Revolver. I believe they do send some copies overseas to record shops IF of course the shops order copies, so please do bug your local shops to order the record and hopefully they will be able to get it. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of places in the EU that carry Astral Spirits titles because the shipping is so expensive (for me to send 10 LP's to Europe it costs are $100US in shipping, it's insanity). Hopefully that won't last forever. For now, Bandcamp is my best option to get records to people and not lose money while doing so.

The main place that I personally do direct wholesale with in Europe is SoundOhm in Italy. They carry most everything that we put out and will definitely have copies of Quin's record. I can't guarantee when they will have them but hopefully not long after the release date (the pressing plant that is pressing the record has been shut down for the past month so they are a bit behind now).

The repress of the first album is still up in the air if and when it'll happen. Things are a bit all over the place as far as pressing schedules etc due to the coronavirus pandemic and it's been a pretty hectic challenge to even try to keep up with the label as normal.

HHV also look to be getting a few Astral Spirits releases in. I ended up going the Bandcamp route and I don't know if they end up losing money on shipping but it was nowhere near $100. I ordered 5 records and It was $22 + $2 for each subsequent so $30 in total. The Chicago Underground repress I ordered isn't due until later this month so I expected them all to be sent together then but they sent the available 4 straight away. That must have definitely made them lose out in shipping.

HHV also look to be getting a few Astral Spirits releases in. I ended up going the Bandcamp route and I don't know if they end up losing money on shipping but it was nowhere near $100. I ordered 5 records and It was $22 + $2 for each subsequent so $30 in total. The Chicago Underground repress I ordered isn't due until later this month so I expected them all to be sent together then but they sent the available 4 straight away. That must have definitely made them lose out in shipping.
I'm more stuck as Norway has such a strict customs regime now that I can't afford to have several (already expensive) records in an order, and my backup of sending it to the UK isn't much help at the moment as I doubt I'm going to get there this year. I'm going to wait till next Bandcamp Day in June and see if Juno/HHV get it, and if not I'll bite the bullet and get it directly from Astral Spirits.

Quin's new record like the rest of the Astral Spirits catalog will be distributed through Revolver. I believe they do send some copies overseas to record shops IF of course the shops order copies, so please do bug your local shops to order the record and hopefully they will be able to get it.

hhv has an option on their website to contact their purchasing department and to request them to order something. I've used it a few times before and they've got back to me whether it's possible or not. They also sent me an email when they listed the item I requested as a pre-order. Really friendly and worth a shot.

hahahaha! My wife has used the tuning up line more times than I care to remember.
My girlfriend hates free-jazz so I agreed I wouldn't put it on while she was hanging out in the same room. Now whenever there's something playing she doesn't like (regardless of what it is) she gives me 'the look' and mutters 'sounds like free-jazz to me'.

My girlfriend hates free-jazz so I agreed I wouldn't put it on while she was hanging out in the same room. Now whenever there's something playing she doesn't like (regardless of what it is) she gives me 'the look' and mutters 'sounds like free-jazz to me'.
My girlfriend likes most of my music but unfortunately I've got so much of it there's plenty she hates. Top two genres are any jazz slightly more than trad, and anything with loud guitars. So you can normally work out whether she's in the house or not if I'm listening to fusion Miles Davis or Led Zeppelin. Otherwise, I don't get humoured; the music just gets yanked off :love:

My girlfriend likes pretty much everything I play, except for what she calls "crying cats music", which encompasses anything experimental with some degree of dissonance. Last time I remember her giving me "the look" was when I played Involution by Sam Rivers.

My girlfriend likes pretty much everything I play, except for what she calls "crying cats music", which encompasses anything experimental with some degree of dissonance. Last time I remember her giving me "the look" was when I played Involution by Sam Rivers.

My girlfriend names ambidextrous music when she doesn't like what I am playing, don't ask me why.

I had an ex who hated Ornette Coleman. She said his music sounded like cats drowning. We aren't together anymore and I'm thankful. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life...lol

Back