Jazz

I was hoping I could get some help from you knowledgeable folks. I have been streaming Anita Day - Anita Sings The Most a ton lately and want to grab it on vinyl. Any recommendations for a pressing?
From what I can tell, there aren’t a ton of recent pressings and there are a LOT of Japanese versions. I love every Japanese pressing I have so I’d recommend one of those if you’re having trouble finding an early US pressing. I’d also say just stay away from wax time as it’s a grey market label.

From what I can tell, there aren’t a ton of recent pressings and there are a LOT of Japanese versions. I love every Japanese pressing I have so I’d recommend one of those if you’re having trouble finding an early US pressing. I’d also say just stay away from wax time as it’s a grey market label.
Appreciate that! I’ll be i the lookout for a Japanese pressing.

Charlie Haden (Bass Player- Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarrett and many many more) doco Free streaming till April 5 , Check it out !

No Rest for the Weary, by Greg Spero, Makaya McCraven, Junius Paul

Spirit Fingers (Greg Spero) has released a charitable single with 100% of proceeds bein 'donated to organizations that support health care individuals through meals on site, housing (so they don’t have to commute), daycare for their children while they work 12 hour+ shifts, medical and protective supplies, and whatever is necessary to support them on the front lines.'

He's teamed up with Junius Paul and Makaya McCraven for this. I was lucky enough to see these 3 perform as part of Makaya McCravens group, so nice to see they have joined again for a worthwhile cause!

Record Store Jazz Messenger in Spain has two RSD 2019 releases for sale at 29,99€ each, shipping is free to Europe for orders above 30€.

JOHNNY GRIFFIN OW! LIVE AT THE PENTHOUSE 1962 - RSD (JAZZ)
BILL EVANS LIVE AT ART D'LUGOFF`S TOP OF THE GATE - RSD (JAZZ)

Their prices are quite fair IMO, they have tons of Pure Pleasure and Speakers Corner releases listed at 29€. Duke Pearson release on Wallen Bink is 39,99€ with, again, free shipping.
Do you have the Johnny Griffin? Im tempted to go for this as im a fan of Lockjaw Davis but havent really got much of his stuff on wax (and of course Griffin is a killer musician too)! Havent heard much about the Reel To Real label but it looks to be a similar package to the Resonance Records which are superb!

Do you have the Johnny Griffin? Im tempted to go for this as im a fan of Lockjaw Davis but havent really got much of his stuff on wax (and of course Griffin is a killer musician too)! Havent heard much about the Reel To Real label but it looks to be a similar package to the Resonance Records which are superb!

Can't help :( I don't have the record nor any Reel to Real release. I only remember seeing this releases listed in many want lists last year.

I’ve been spending too much time on IG following small record shops around the US who have been putting their collections online since their shops are closed. A lot of good stuff out there and I’m glad to help support some of these shops out there. Picked up two records from Commonwealth Records last week and they arrived today:

He’s been posting some real great stuff lately for pretty fair prices. I grabbed this guy on a whim and am really digging it. Also got Bobby Hutcherson’s Total Eclipse.
163B9216-F605-4A9C-8884-4BF63674BFA8.jpeg

Big day today, the 50th anniversary of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. An amazingly ground breaking album, with some killer artwork. I also wish they included a copy of the legendary letter which was sent to CBS prior to the release of the album, which simply states:

"Miles just called and said he wants this album to be called BITCHES BREW. Please advise."

Gets me every time :ROFLMAO:

IMG_5401.JPG
8163703463_73e31117c3_o.jpg

That letter and the story of him standing in line to meet Richard Nixon and receive some award are great. The guy in front turned and introduced himself and asked why Miles was there. The guy didn't say anything but other than staff Miles was the only black person in the room. When asked Miles supposedly replied, "I changed the direction of music 5 or 6 times. What about you?"

I have been listening to In A Silent Way pretty regularly through the last couple of weeks.

Charlie Haden (Bass Player- Ornette Coleman, Keith Jarrett and many many more) doco Free streaming till April 5 , Check it out !

what an beautiful human being. He was a good example of the strenght and faith it takes to be selfless.

I’ve just heard that Wallace Roney has died from Covid 19, I was just listening to his Verses album yesterday, he’s also in that new Miles doco, he played trumpet with Miles at Montreux with Quincy Jones when they did some Sketches Of Spain material and other Gil Evans album stuff. Rest easy Wallace.

Last edited:
Record Store Jazz Messenger in Spain has two RSD 2019 releases for sale at 29,99€ each, shipping is free to Europe for orders above 30€.

JOHNNY GRIFFIN OW! LIVE AT THE PENTHOUSE 1962 - RSD (JAZZ)
BILL EVANS LIVE AT ART D'LUGOFF`S TOP OF THE GATE - RSD (JAZZ)

Their prices are quite fair IMO, they have tons of Pure Pleasure and Speakers Corner releases listed at 29€. Duke Pearson release on Wallen Bink is 39,99€ with, again, free shipping.

Just wanted to give a feedback after receiving my first shipment from them: very professional. I ordered four records on Monday and have received everything perfectly packed (see pictures) this morning. Prices are very fair (among the cheapest I've seen out there for these records) and shipping to EU is free for orders above 30€ (regular courrier, TNT express free as well for orders above 120€). Prices on ECM LPs are 1 or 2€ lower than the ECM shop.

Jazz Messengers also has a real shop in Barcelona and they recently opened a second one in Lisbon.

1585823334805.png

Shame I live in Australia!! Hahahahaha.
Just wanted to give a feedback after receiving my first shipment from them: very professional. I ordered four records on Monday and have received everything perfectly packed (see pictures) this morning. Prices are very fair (among the cheapest I've seen out there for these records) and shipping to EU is free for orders above 30€ (regular courrier, TNT express free as well for orders above 120€). Prices on ECM LPs are 1 or 2€ lower than the ECM shop.

Jazz Messengers also has a real shop in Barcelona and they recently opened a second one in Lisbon.

View attachment 39043

View attachment 39043
I actually bit the bullet and ordered the Johnny Griffin & Lockjaw Davis, so good to hear you are happy with their service. Hoping to have quite a decent package arrive by the weekend.

Out of interest, did anyone in the UK order anything from the Blue Note store during the sale? I ordered a few Tone Poets and haven't heard anything since.

I actually bit the bullet and ordered the Johnny Griffin & Lockjaw Davis, so good to hear you are happy with their service. Hoping to have quite a decent package arrive by the weekend.

Out of interest, did anyone in the UK order anything from the Blue Note store during the sale? I ordered a few Tone Poets and haven't heard anything since.

I got a couple of BN80's, they came quickly after a day or 2. Guess I was lucky. I was very dissapointed that they didn't have the discount available on the pre-order stuff. I'd just bought all the latest TP's

Back