Jazz

vinyl is up for the new Jazz is Dead project from Adrian Younge over on bandcamp and also available on their own site. Features new songs from Roy Ayers, Gary Bartz, Brian Jackson, Joao Donato, Doug Carn, Azymuth, Marcos Valle and The Midnight Hour.

I get notifications that some of the MM SRX are back in stock but I’m unable to add to my cart. Anyone else?

Some thoughts/overlap with others:

Muriel Grossmann - Golden Rule
My favourite from recent years. A bit of a Coltrane/spiritual vibe. (And if you like this check out Reverence by her too)
Maisha - There Is A Place
Top notch spiritual jazz, but fairly short as just an EP
Theon Cross - Fyah
The tuba player from Sons of Kemet but teams.up with Nubya Garcia and Moses Boyd on this one.
Mammal Hands
If you like Gogo Penguin (and I personally like EST a lot more) then check out Mammal Hands. They were on the same label, and are piano, sax and drums trio. I prefer them to Gogo by some distance, and I like Gogo.
Cykada
New group on the fab Astigmatic label from Poland. They're based in London and have a pretty raucous sound with guitar in the mix.
Bonus pick
Quin Kirchner - The Other Side of Time
Another Chicago drummer, this is sadly impossible to find on vinyl currently but I really dig this. Not cut and up and edited like Makaya, but very inventive.
@Poly-Rythmo thanks for this note. It prompted me to go back and dig into EST more and it's been really great to both rediscover and get a range of their records on vinyl. I'd started with them at a point that I was buying mostly CDs and frankly just stopped listening as I transitioned back to vinyl. It's really been a joy and a great rediscovery during these weird times. Thank you.

@Poly-Rythmo thanks for this note. It prompted me to go back and dig into EST more and it's been really great to both rediscover and get a range of their records on vinyl. I'd started with them at a point that I was buying mostly CDs and frankly just stopped listening as I transitioned back to vinyl. It's really been a joy and a great rediscovery during these weird times. Thank you.
EST are probably in my top 10 bands of any genre. I just love the way they come together so well - the more classical piano, the occasionally distorted bass, and the heavy-metal loving drummer. Their three live albums on vinyl (Hamburg, London, Gothenburg) are all great. The bassist and drummer teamed up with Bugge Wesseltoft for Rymden - it isn't as good as EST but it's decent, and live they're excellent.

Any Monk recommendations? Was just listening to Monk's Dream and loved it but don't know where to go from there.

Brilliant Corners , Underground, Blue Note/Riverside Albums , most Monk s great, he rerecorded a lot of his stuff over the years , listen to some stuff on youtube/spotify whatever .
Any Monk recommendations? Was just listening to Monk's Dream and loved it but don't know where to go from there.

Back