Jazz

I don't know if it has already been discussed here but there is a new Jazz reissue serie out. It's called Universal Play 33 1/3 and it focuses on first-time 180-gram vinyl releases of jazz albums that were first issued as CDs between 1992 and 2010.

The "Play 33 1/3 LP Series" features masterpiece albums released in the 1990s converted for the first time world-wide to analog Long Playing record. The album cover and package created after months of graphic work and processes by hand enhanced its excellence and to ensure the record's superb sound quality, Pallas GmbH in Germany utilized a heavy weight 180-gram vinyl LP to contain the sound. Khiov who was in charge of the planning and production of many LP miniature series took charge of the album cover production spending six months to create a masterpiece.

There are 6 records so far :
Michael Brecker - Tales From The Hudson
John McLaughlin - The Promise
Silje Nergaard - At First Light*
George Benson - Irreplaceable
Charlie Haden - Nocturne
Herbie Hancock - The New Standard

EDIT:

My bad! There are much more than this six!

Wayne Shorter - Alegría
Lee Ritenour - Wes Bound
Lee Ritenour & Larry Carlton - Larry & Lee
Eric Johnson - Venus Isle
Madeleine Peyroux - The Blue Room
John Scofield - This Meets That
Renée Fleming - Dark Hope
Michael Brecker - Nearness Of You, The Ballad Book
Herbie Hancock - Gershwin's World
& more

See here

Last edited:
I don't know if it has already been discussed here but there is a new Jazz reissue serie out. It's called Universal Play 33 1/3 and it focuses on first-time 180-gram vinyl releases of jazz albums that were first issued as CDs between 1992 and 2010.

The "Play 33 1/3 LP Series" features masterpiece albums released in the 1990s converted for the first time world-wide to analog Long Playing record. The album cover and package created after months of graphic work and processes by hand enhanced its excellence and to ensure the record's superb sound quality, Pallas GmbH in Germany utilized a heavy weight 180-gram vinyl LP to contain the sound. Khiov who was in charge of the planning and production of many LP miniature series took charge of the album cover production spending six months to create a masterpiece.

Charlie Haden - Nocturne

These seem awesome but I hate that $60 seems to becoming the new standard pricing for jazz records...

Charlie Haden - Nocturne

EDIT:

My bad! There are much more than this six!

Wayne Shorter - Alegría
Lee Ritenour - Wes Bound
Lee Ritenour & Larry Carlton - Larry & Lee
Eric Johnson - Venus Isle
Madeleine Peyroux - The Blue Room
John Scofield - This Meets That
Renée Fleming - Dark Hope
Michael Brecker - Nearness Of You, The Ballad Book
Herbie Hancock - Gershwin's World
& more

See here

There ya go! All the ones so far.

I caught two sets last night -- the first good, but more historical, George Coleman Quintet at the Jazz Standard in NY At 84 years old he delivered a strong performance that was well worth the time and ticket. His son, on drums, was a little overpowering and could have given his dad and other players some space.

The second set was hot fire around the corner at the Jazz Gallery. For those that don't know, Jazz Gallery is a 5th floor space in an unassuming, somewhat grubby building with a sandwich board signage that will occasionally blow over in high wind. It is a non profit that focuses on new jazz , composition, and supporting the next generation in jazz. Sets ranges from people getting their first shots to Ravi Coltrane.

Last night was the Curtis Brothers with strong afro-cuban bent and the burned the house down. In particular, Nick Biello on Alto and Mark Whitfield, Jr. On drums were just incredible -- but the whole band cooked.
20200227_183332.jpg20200227_220456.jpg
Zaccai Curtis -piano
Luques Curtis -bass
Nick Biello -saxophone
Josh Lawrence -trumpet
Mark Whitfield Jr. -drums

As a general PSA, and not available on vinyl, but if you haven't heard it... Joe Henderson's Lush Life: the music of Billy Strayhorn is a great album to roll into a Friday evening.
Hells yeah! I also remember when I first got familiar with Joe Henderson that he had his BIG BAND LP. And hearing him talk about it was such a great honor, and having the desire, and now ability to do this was such a great treat, really hit home for me. He's a one of a kind musician that has helped make this music world a better place.

Jazzman Records on fire with these two new releases :

Muriel Grossman - Elevation

1582997181206.png

Born in Paris, raised in Vienna, resident in Ibiza, saxophonist and composer Muriel Grossmann embodies the borderless, pan-continental energies of contemporary European jazz. Her music emerges from the lineage of European jazz that's absorbed the progressive music of Coltrane, Dolphy and Sanders. Today, she cites players such as Illinois Jacquet and Lester Young in the same breath as the masters of the avant-garde, and her playing marries the directness and eloquence of the older generation with the questing, spiritualised playing epitomised by Coltrane. The roster of musicians she has played with is long, and includes veteran European avant-gardists including Joachim and Rolf Kühn, Wolfgang Reisinger and Thomas Heidepriem, and she works tirelessly with contemporary groups and big bands across the continent.

Since her first recordings in the early 2000s, Grossmann has released a dozen albums as leader, featuring sounds ranging from hard-swinging modernist jams to free improvisation, expansive spiritual work to rhythm-focussed Afrocentrism. But at the centre of her work is a thread of pure and heartfelt spiritual music in the modal tradition defined by Coltrane and close collaborators like Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane. You can't play this music successfully if you don't mean it – like the music of her contemporary Nat Birchall, Grossmann's engagement with the Coltrane tradition is sincere and deep. Her music resonates within the tradition – more than just a style, it adds a new chapter to the story of modal and spiritual jazz in Europe.

This Jazzman set draws a selection from her 2016 album Natural Time ('Your Pace', 'Peace For All') and from 2017's Momentum ('Elevation', 'Chant' and 'Rising'). Featuring her regular quartet of Radomir Milojkovic (guitar) Uros Stamenkovic (drums) and Gina Schwarz (bass), the music on Elevation is pure sound, soul and spirit!

VA - Spiritual Jazz 11: SteepleChase

1582997238043.png

Founded in 1972, SteepleChase Records is one of the most significant and prolific European jazz record labels. With a catalogue running to well over 200 titles, the Copenhagen-based imprint has recorded and released music from some of the greatest names in jazz, including Dexter Gordon, Andrew Hill, Jackie McLean, Horace Parlan, Chet Baker and Stan Getz.

Starting out by recording visiting Americans when they performed at the legendary Café Montmartre, founder Nils Winther was encouraged to start the label by none other than the great Jackie McLean, who was the first artist to release a record on the new imprint. From there, Steeplechase rapidly grew into one of the foremost labels to document European jazz with all its distinctive originality and style. With a particular emphasis on recording front rank American artists who had chosen the expatriate life in Europe, Steeplechase was first in line to document the sounds of the greats as they developed in exile.

As always, our double gatefold LP features extensive liner notes inlcuding a history of the label as well as notes on each of the individual tracks. Photos from the recording sessions and cover art from each of the LPs from which our selection has been taken is also included. A free 320kbps MP3 download card is included as a bonus. With in-demand tracks from the likes of Billy Gault, Johnny Dyani and Khan Jamal, and the unearthing of deep cuts from greats like Jackie McLean and Mary Lou Williams, our Spiritual Jazz 11: Steeplechase pays tribute to one of Europe's most important jazz labels and furthers our exploration into the infinite realms of spiritual jazz.

Jazzman Records on fire with these two new releases :

Muriel Grossman - Elevation

View attachment 34691

Born in Paris, raised in Vienna, resident in Ibiza, saxophonist and composer Muriel Grossmann embodies the borderless, pan-continental energies of contemporary European jazz. Her music emerges from the lineage of European jazz that's absorbed the progressive music of Coltrane, Dolphy and Sanders. Today, she cites players such as Illinois Jacquet and Lester Young in the same breath as the masters of the avant-garde, and her playing marries the directness and eloquence of the older generation with the questing, spiritualised playing epitomised by Coltrane. The roster of musicians she has played with is long, and includes veteran European avant-gardists including Joachim and Rolf Kühn, Wolfgang Reisinger and Thomas Heidepriem, and she works tirelessly with contemporary groups and big bands across the continent.

Since her first recordings in the early 2000s, Grossmann has released a dozen albums as leader, featuring sounds ranging from hard-swinging modernist jams to free improvisation, expansive spiritual work to rhythm-focussed Afrocentrism. But at the centre of her work is a thread of pure and heartfelt spiritual music in the modal tradition defined by Coltrane and close collaborators like Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane. You can't play this music successfully if you don't mean it – like the music of her contemporary Nat Birchall, Grossmann's engagement with the Coltrane tradition is sincere and deep. Her music resonates within the tradition – more than just a style, it adds a new chapter to the story of modal and spiritual jazz in Europe.

This Jazzman set draws a selection from her 2016 album Natural Time ('Your Pace', 'Peace For All') and from 2017's Momentum ('Elevation', 'Chant' and 'Rising'). Featuring her regular quartet of Radomir Milojkovic (guitar) Uros Stamenkovic (drums) and Gina Schwarz (bass), the music on Elevation is pure sound, soul and spirit!

VA - Spiritual Jazz 11: SteepleChase

View attachment 34692

Founded in 1972, SteepleChase Records is one of the most significant and prolific European jazz record labels. With a catalogue running to well over 200 titles, the Copenhagen-based imprint has recorded and released music from some of the greatest names in jazz, including Dexter Gordon, Andrew Hill, Jackie McLean, Horace Parlan, Chet Baker and Stan Getz.

Starting out by recording visiting Americans when they performed at the legendary Café Montmartre, founder Nils Winther was encouraged to start the label by none other than the great Jackie McLean, who was the first artist to release a record on the new imprint. From there, Steeplechase rapidly grew into one of the foremost labels to document European jazz with all its distinctive originality and style. With a particular emphasis on recording front rank American artists who had chosen the expatriate life in Europe, Steeplechase was first in line to document the sounds of the greats as they developed in exile.

As always, our double gatefold LP features extensive liner notes inlcuding a history of the label as well as notes on each of the individual tracks. Photos from the recording sessions and cover art from each of the LPs from which our selection has been taken is also included. A free 320kbps MP3 download card is included as a bonus. With in-demand tracks from the likes of Billy Gault, Johnny Dyani and Khan Jamal, and the unearthing of deep cuts from greats like Jackie McLean and Mary Lou Williams, our Spiritual Jazz 11: Steeplechase pays tribute to one of Europe's most important jazz labels and furthers our exploration into the infinite realms of spiritual jazz.
Damn, both of these pack heat!! Looking forward to picking these up for sure! Cheer @Skalap

If anyone has been waiting on the Muriel Grossman - Golden Rule repress I can thoroughly recommend it. Superb quality packaging (probably the highest quality set I have come across) and the records sound fantastic. Im on my second listen on the day and its just getting better each time!

THIS or THAT (a Vinyl_Jazz survey) results!

If anyone has been waiting on the Muriel Grossman - Golden Rule repress I can thoroughly recommend it. Superb quality packaging (probably the highest quality set I have come across) and the records sound fantastic. Im on my second listen on the day and its just getting better each time!

just ordered after finding a copy of Reverence from an usa retailer

Irreversible Entanglements - Homeless/Global (International Anthem, Digital, 2019)

Can’t wait for the new album. Wish they had included this as a single sided extra disc as part of a deluxe version.

I guess it'll be available separately at some point. But yes, feels like a missed chance...

By the way, my copy of the album has arrived already - and it's gorgeous! 🔥

I guess it'll be available separately at some point. But yes, feels like a missed chance...

By the way, my copy of the album has arrived already - and it's gorgeous! 🔥

this’ll make no sense to many as I realised I posted it here and not in what’s spinning which I’ve now corrected, d’oh!

great to hear it is a cracker though.

Dusty Groove have some interesting pre orders to make you all aware of:

One of the things I'm always so very grateful for is the exposure I get from this forum....thx

That Charles Tolliver album is fantastic.

Back