Jazz

View attachment 30321

So this happened last night. I saw Kamasi Washington live: one of those artists who I fantasized about seeing perform for years, but who I never thought would actually come to Mexico. I have been into jazz for a little more than 10 years, but it wasn't until I started collecting vinyl more seriously that I actually delved deep into this cosmos, something that coincided with the release of The Epic, hence he is an artist I consider very important to de development of my taste.

The show was great, and the crowd was losing it. They did a sort of Cumbia arrangement during the second half of "Truth", and the people just went crazy. Everybody was dancing and cheering Kamasi as hi built momentum on his solo over the cumbia beat. It was the best moment of the night, and one I feel super lucky to have experienced. I'll say it again: The guy played a god-level solo over a cumbia beat!! And it sounded like cumbia-jazz had always been a thing, and Kamasi was at the forefront of it all!!

To top it off, Shabaka Hutchings was there (WTF?), and I asked him for a picture. He was a bit shy and sort of surprised that I asked for the picture, so I felt a bit bad after for putting him in that situation, but I got a hell of a souvenir from the night!

View attachment 30322
This is fantastic -- thanks for sharing! What a night

View attachment 30321

So this happened last night. I saw Kamasi Washington live: one of those artists who I fantasized about seeing perform for years, but who I never thought would actually come to Mexico. I have been into jazz for a little more than 10 years, but it wasn't until I started collecting vinyl more seriously that I actually delved deep into this cosmos, something that coincided with the release of The Epic, hence he is an artist I consider very important to de development of my taste.

The show was great, and the crowd was losing it. They did a sort of Cumbia arrangement during the second half of "Truth", and the people just went crazy. Everybody was dancing and cheering Kamasi as hi built momentum on his solo over the cumbia beat. It was the best moment of the night, and one I feel super lucky to have experienced. I'll say it again: The guy played a god-level solo over a cumbia beat!! And it sounded like cumbia-jazz had always been a thing, and Kamasi was at the forefront of it all!!

To top it off, Shabaka Hutchings was there (WTF?), and I asked him for a picture. He was a bit shy and sort of surprised that I asked for the picture, so I felt a bit bad after for putting him in that situation, but I got a hell of a souvenir from the night!

View attachment 30322

First time I saw Kamasi was with a local band called Ethio-Cali ensemble at the blue Whale in LA. They are a local LA band that plays a blend of Pan-African music crossed with jazz. I knew once Kamasi took a solo that he was a beast. His solos just got from intensity to intensity, building and building.

On the reading front, I read Nat Hentoff's "Jazz is..." on the last flight. The blurb:

"A beautifully written, evocative tribute to an elusive art... Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Cecil Taylor, and Gato Barbieri." - Performing Arts

It's basically a series of profiles of each of the artists and some observations, rememberances, etc on them, their work, and jazz overall. It's a solid book that is an easy, light fun read.

I'm also finishing Maxine Gordon's biography of Dexter Gordon "sophisticated giant" and I've really enjoyed it. It's been great to work through his catalog with the book and she writes with great empathy, insight, and a real love for jazz. Well worth it if that is your thing :)

On the reading front, I read Nat Hentoff's "Jazz is..." on the last flight. The blurb:

"A beautifully written, evocative tribute to an elusive art... Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Gerry Mulligan, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Cecil Taylor, and Gato Barbieri." - Performing Arts

It's basically a series of profiles of each of the artists and some observations, rememberances, etc on them, their work, and jazz overall. It's a solid book that is an easy, light fun read.

I'm also finishing Maxine Gordon's biography of Dexter Gordon "sophisticated giant" and I've really enjoyed it. It's been great to work through his catalog with the book and she writes with great empathy, insight, and a real love for jazz. Well worth it if that is your thing :)
This is so strange, both of those are on my ebay tabs ready to buy 🤣

I annoyingly missed out but Dexter's wife, Maxine Gordon, was in London at an event set up by Honest Jons when the book was first released. She did a short reading, signing, and answered questions from the audience, all while Dexter Gordon records were played in the background. Would of been a great night.

View attachment 30321

View attachment 30322
Here's a clip of the aforementioned arrangement on Truth. The cumbia-type beat can be particularly felt at the begining of the video, when the crowd begins to cheer to the rhythm of the tune like they would do at a cumbia party.

Kamasi is SO good live. I was lucky enough to see him play with a double quartet at the Blue Note a few years ago. The lineup was awesome (Thundercat and Miles Mosley on bass and lots of other awesome artists) and they all sounded incredible. I’d love to see him again soon.

Nice! Sounds like an excellent night.

First time I saw Kamasi was in 2015. He played the Galaxy Barn on Pendarvis Farm in Oregon (Pickathon). First festival he ever played, and his dad joins him on soprano saxophone. The barn probably holds 200 people, at most. I was immediately hooked, to say the least.

Here is a video of "The Magnificent 7". Twelve plus minutes of the good stuff.

Last edited:
Nice! Sounds like an excellent night.

First time I saw Kamasi was in 2015. He played the Galaxy Barn on Pendarvis Farm in Oregon (Pickathon). First festival he every played, and his dad joins him on soprano saxophone. This barn probably holds at most 200 people. I was immediately hooked, to say the least.

Here is a video of "The Magnificent 7". Twelve plus minutes of the good stuff.

Nice! Yea--just looked mine up and it was 2015 as well. Can't believe it was that long ago...but he had a similar setup when I saw him--2 drummers, 2 keyboardists, 2 bass players etc. It was so awesome.

Good morning everyone, I usually just lurk this thread picking up the great recommendations that get posted here (thanks for those). But I thought maybe I should try to contribute, so I want to share this great project that I dont think I have seen mentioned. It's by a "one man ensemble" from Sweden, and I can't get over how talented this guy is. Hope everyone enjoys it as much as I do!

View attachment 30321

View attachment 30322

Thanks for your report-out -- sounds like it was a great experience! Nothing beats live music. I first saw Kamasi at the (now sadly defunct) Day for Night Festival in Houston in 2016. Fantastic show. He's stopping in Houston in March so I will definitely be there.

This is so strange, both of those are on my ebay tabs ready to buy 🤣

I annoyingly missed out but Dexter's wife, Maxine Gordon, was in London at an event set up by Honest Jons when the book was first released. She did a short reading, signing, and answered questions from the audience, all while Dexter Gordon records were played in the background. Would of been a great night.
That would have been great

Back