Jazz

Maybe an odd question-- but does anyone here use Qobuz to stream? I'm a big fan of it and there seems to be a decent selection of jazz, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the hi-res stuff on their platform.

Maybe an odd question-- but does anyone here use Qobuz to stream? I'm a big fan of it and there seems to be a decent selection of jazz, but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for the hi-res stuff on their platform.
I do! Qobuz is a bit hit or miss for me. There seem to be quite a few versions of different albums so I typically look for what has the high res icon. I’ll look through and see if any in particular stand out to me but I have added a lot of jazz over the past few months. I’ve kept Apple Music too though because Qobuz doesn’t seem great at adding new stuff (almost always on Spotify or Apple first) and they don’t have a bunch of other artists that I like...

Here are a few I have added lately that I think sound great:

Shelly Manne - At The Blackhawk
Not 24 bit high res, but this whole series sounds great to me.

We Three - Roy Haynes

Blossom Dearie - self titled

(if ya don't have the VMP press)

The Legendary Riverside Albums - Chet Baker
This whole box set is available as 24 bit

Free At Last (Extended Edition) - Mal Waldron Trio
available in 24 bit

Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban
24 bit

Hank Mobley - self-titled
24 bit

Ambrose Akinmusire - the imagined savior is far easier to paint
24 bit

Speak No Evil - Wayne Shorter
24 bit

There is quite a large selection of jazz. A lot of the International Anthem Recording Co stuff is on there in 24 bit too.

We Three - Roy Haynes

available in 24 bit

24 bit

24 bit

24 bit

24 bit

There is quite a large selection of jazz. A lot of the International Anthem Recording Co stuff is on there in 24 bit too.

Awesome list! Especially thanks for reminding me about Akinmusire-- all his stuff's on there, including the Wolfgang Muthspiel group. Just added all to my list and everything you listed above!

Awesome list! Especially thanks for reminding me about Akinmusire-- all his stuff's on there, including the Wolfgang Muthspiel group. Just added all to my list and everything you listed above!
Ooh added the Muthspiel stuff to my favorites too. Sadly "When The Heart..." doesn't appear to be the 24 bit, but a bunch of his others are.

I'm a bit bummed...I have tickets to see Akinmusire at Lincoln Center in March but can't go anymore since it's my buddy's bachelor party weekend. Was looking forward to it!

So which of the Tres Jazz Club releases should I be looking at getting?

My favourite is Isao Suzuki Quartet + 2 - Orang-Utan, but my bias may have to do with the album cover which makes me chuckle every time.

Unfortunately it looks like this has also gone out of print now.

My favourite is Isao Suzuki Quartet + 2 - Orang-Utan, but my bias may have to do with the album cover which makes me chuckle every time.

Man, I have been after that for ages, its one of those that I really regretted not picking up and tricky to find now.

Man, I have been after that for ages, its one of those that I really regretted not picking up and tricky to find now.

I've been after Green Caterpillar aka poop emoji. I passed on it because, well, it reminded me of the poop emoji. The music is great on that one as well. Hope they manage a repress on these soon.

If you are after TBM reissues, have a look at this <予約>【TBM】細川綾子コレクション発売決定|ニュース&インフォメーション|JAZZ|ディスクユニオン・オンラインショップ|diskunion.net

CMRS77PIC200124_01.jpg

We Three - Roy Haynes

available in 24 bit

24 bit

24 bit

24 bit

24 bit

Thank so much for this!

I've been listening to Mark de Clive-Lowe's Heritage Vol 1 & 2 again on repeat. So so so good. Im so glad you brought them to my attention with the ROTM @Skalap, damn good stuff and a great pick.

Glad you're enjoying these records :) By the way, I discovered RM Jazz Legacy a few days ago and at least one of the musicians is part of Ronin Arkestra, MdCL's JJazz band. RMJL is some kind of a supergroup of modern J-Jazz musicians and they do jazzy funky covers of some international songs. It's really good.

IMG_20200123_212134.jpg

So this happened last night. I saw Kamasi Washington live: one of those artists who I fantasized about seeing perform for years, but who I never thought would actually come to Mexico. I have been into jazz for a little more than 10 years, but it wasn't until I started collecting vinyl more seriously that I actually delved deep into this cosmos, something that coincided with the release of The Epic, hence he is an artist I consider very important to de development of my taste.

The show was great, and the crowd was losing it. They did a sort of Cumbia arrangement during the second half of "Truth", and the people just went crazy. Everybody was dancing and cheering Kamasi as hi built momentum on his solo over the cumbia beat. It was the best moment of the night, and one I feel super lucky to have experienced. I'll say it again: The guy played a god-level solo over a cumbia beat!! And it sounded like cumbia-jazz had always been a thing, and Kamasi was at the forefront of it all!!

To top it off, Shabaka Hutchings was there (WTF?), and I asked him for a picture. He was a bit shy and sort of surprised that I asked for the picture, so I felt a bit bad after for putting him in that situation, but I got a hell of a souvenir from the night!

IMG_20200123_224944.jpg

View attachment 30321

So this happened last night. I saw Kamasi Washington live: one of those artists who I fantasized about seeing perform for years, but who I never thought would actually come to Mexico. I have been into jazz for a little more than 10 years, but it wasn't until I started collecting vinyl more seriously that I actually delved deep into this cosmos, something that coincided with the release of The Epic, hence he is an artist I consider very important to de development of my taste.

The show was great, and the crowd was losing it. They did a sort of Cumbia arrangement during the second half of "Truth", and the people just went crazy. Everybody was dancing and cheering Kamasi as hi built momentum on his solo over the cumbia beat. It was the best moment of the night, and one I feel super lucky to have experienced. I'll say it again: The guy played a god-level solo over a cumbia beat!! And it sounded like cumbia-jazz had always been a thing, and Kamasi was at the forefront of it all!!

To top it off, Shabaka Hutchings was there (WTF?), and I asked him for a picture. He was a bit shy and sort of surprised that I asked for the picture, so I felt a bit bad after for putting him in that situation, but I got a hell of a souvenir from the night!

View attachment 30322
Kamasi is SO good live. I was lucky enough to see him play with a double quartet at the Blue Note a few years ago. The lineup was awesome (Thundercat and Miles Mosley on bass and lots of other awesome artists) and they all sounded incredible. I’d love to see him again soon.

View attachment 30321

View attachment 30322
Ahhhh I saw that Shabaka was in Mexico with The Comet Is Coming (they were playing around with sombrero's on their instagram). Super cool that you bumped into him and I wouldnt worry about him seeming surprised. I walked past him at a festival last year and commented that he put on a great show earlier in the day and he just grinned and thanked me, but still seemed slightly awkward/embarrassed.

Sounds like a superb show!

Just reminded myself of something. For you UK/London based forumites, Cross The Tracks is back this year for thier second festival. Last year was sensational and the line-up for this year looks great so far. They are announcing the next wave of acts next week, but 'Shabaka and the Ancestors' are one of the big names so presumably their next album will be released around that time!

Back