January 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread :: Plant carrots in January and you'll never have to eat carrots.

Day 20 - Memorable Metal Moments
On this day in 1982 Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off a bat. On this day in 1989 MTV debuted the video for Metallica’s “One.” Play something heavy.

When I was a kid, we had a console stereo with a turntable that had a 16/33/45/78 speed selector. The first record I ever bought was Black Sabbath Paranoid and of course I messed around playing it at different speeds.

I didn't realize it then, but I was actually time traveling into the future and hearing Melvins.

Black Sabbath on 16...

Black Sabbath on 78...

Melvins - Houdini

20220120_003322.jpg

Day 20 - Memorable Metal Moments
On this day in 1982 Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off a bat. On this day in 1989 MTV debuted the video for Metallica’s “One.” Play something heavy.

Double Live Album, one song per side, no vocals. Lots of heavy riffs.

Earthless ~ Live at Roadburn

1642704416770.png

Day 20: Memorable Metal Moments

Merlin - The Mortal
0C227A31-6FC8-49C9-AF68-7A7813F700ED.jpeg

Merlin are a fun Doom/Prog Metal band from Kansas City (a city with a nice Metal scene going; check out The Company record label if you are so inclined) and yeah most of their songs are about dope Wizard and Warrior type shit but what really sets them apart from the pack is their incorporation of woodwinds into the mix. The lead vocalist also blows sick saxophone. I never thought I would enjoy my Metal with a side of Free Jazz but here we are.

Back