J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

Anyone get the new TBM Compilation on Sony?

Curious on SQ as can't imagine these cut from analog

Following…I was going to order this one. If anybody grabbed it and had a chance to spin it, let us know!

Just landed today. It got held back because I pre-ordered it with a copy of the Funky Stuff reissue which they said they couldn’t fulfill.

Haven’t had a chance to listen to it all, but package and pressing look great. Little needle drop sounds great, quiet vinyl, cracking sound. I suspect some songs will be better sound wise than others. On the sleeve It says there are some noises caused by using the original master tapes. So suspect some of the tapes have issues.

Following…I was going to order this one. If anybody grabbed it and had a chance to spin it, let us know!

Edit- sounds fantastic, I don’t have any OG’s but the vinyl is so quiet. To my ears sounds like it has great dynamic range, clear and spacious. Great comp. worth the price for the green caterpillar alone

Last edited:
Edit- sounds fantastic, I don’t have any OG’s but the vinyl is so quiet. To my ears sounds like it has great dynamic range, clear and spacious. Great comp. worth the price for the green caterpillar alone
good to hear! and glad they are finally starting to explore the catalog a bit....im lucky to have some version of all of these so will make the call once Im back in Japan, but actually enjoy the mixtape element of it........enjoy!

this is interesting...in fiesta was reissued by Think! disk union about 10 years ago as part of master tapes series and sounds seriously good...wonder what the source is on this one as Project Re:vinyl is lawson/hmv - either way its a screamer and the samples fly everywhere

I do not know the sourcing on the Project Re: Vinyl series but I have not been disappointed by any of them so far.

Same here. He is pretty vague on sourcing to be honest but I trust him to put out the best possible record. On the other hand, I'll probably never have the funds to buy original records of some stuff he reissues so I have no choice but to trust him :p

A few new Sony japan TBM reissues coming out. Seem to be cut by Bernie

A few new Sony japan TBM reissues coming out. Seem to be cut by Bernie

I hate that with so many TBM records in need for a repress, they go with Misty, repressed in 2022 by Craftman, and Mine, repressed in 2020 by Le Très Jazz Club. Even Sailing Ice had a repress in 2016.

Though, I am buying Sailing Ice as even the repress is very expensive and Mine to upgrade my copy. Not sure about Misty even if BG is behind it. I hope they will repress more :)

Do I sound a bit bi polar?

I hate that with so many TBM records in need for a repress, they go with Misty, repressed in 2022 by Craftman, and Mine, repressed in 2020 by Le Très Jazz Club. Even Sailing Ice had a repress in 2016.

Though, I am buying Sailing Ice as even the repress is very expensive and Mine to upgrade my copy. Not sure about Misty even if BG is behind it. I hope they will repress more :)

Do I sound a bit bi polar?
Misty and Midnight Sugar are the workhorses of TBM. I see at least 56 different issues between the two titles. They sell very well because they appeal to the jazz purist.

Back