J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

and apologies for my active post/ranting of late about Japan prices/avail and other...but I think I've finally cracked it...Buying records in Tokyo was about digging, going around with the realistic hope that you'll pull something out of the bin that was rare, unusual, crazy cheap or otherwise exciting and that used to be the case pre-pandemic...now the bins are filled with a lot of the same titles (that no one really wants), all the treasures are pulled, really expensive and hard to find...so my ritual of going to Japan to dig and find those exciting titles that you never see anywhere else for money that isn't huge is gone...and that's just a bummer....obvs YMMV and I have a large collection so its not sour grapes, but a bit of the fun/excitement is missing...that being said, still plenty out there...just less of it...

anywho...dig on!

Maybe you can still find those gems outside of Tokyo? I'd trink record shops in Tokyo have been buying most of the existing stock in Japan but I'd be surprised if there are no spots anymore to find grails. Though, price will be higher than it was before, everybody knows Discogs and price their collection accordingly.

Maybe you can still find those gems outside of Tokyo? I'd trink record shops in Tokyo have been buying most of the existing stock in Japan but I'd be surprised if there are no spots anymore to find grails. Though, price will be higher than it was before, everybody knows Discogs and price their collection accordingly.
maybe...and its probably a good idea...but I think every small dealer is on discogs and is willing to wait to sell to the highest bidder, disk union is volume and pricing to move...

Able to pick up the new reissue of Kohsuke Mine - First put out my Universal Japan as part of their j-jazz series - this is the second set of 5 that came out this week, the first set coming a few months earlier. Have not had a chance to listen yet, or for a bit as currently without a TT, but the package is just so strong, BBE are you listening, this is next level in comparison, and of course its a 33...which by default makes it better (for me) - these are digital remasters, just FYI

this second set of titles is WAY too out for me, but this record is a classic and anyone who doesn't have it, or hates 2x45s should check it out

Able to pick up the new reissue of Kohsuke Mine - First put out my Universal Japan as part of their j-jazz series - this is the second set of 5 that came out this week, the first set coming a few months earlier. Have not had a chance to listen yet, or for a bit as currently without a TT, but the package is just so strong, BBE are you listening, this is next level in comparison, and of course its a 33...which by default makes it better (for me) - these are digital remasters, just FYI

this second set of titles is WAY too out for me, but this record is a classic and anyone who doesn't have it, or hates 2x45s should check it out
...by walking to the HMV...so I've got that going for me, which is nice ;-)

Days of Delight are moving to vinyl. This one was released on CD in 2020 and will be released on vinyl in September. There will be two songs out to fit one LP.

Another nice release dedicated to Jiro Inagaki

Haven't purchased a BBE release in a while. I remember reading some negative reviews on their last releases.
I am actually starting to think that I may buy CDs from now on. I've had defects on the last five or so that I have purchased.

I know, just Kick This Ass for a Man, That's All.

Haruki Murakami presents Yosuke Yamashita Trio Re-Intrusion Live Original Vinyl Limited edition (LP)

Translated from Japanese press release using Google Translate:

Analog record release from TOKYO FM "Murakami RADIO" produced by Haruki Murakami!
Excitement over the past 53 years, Yosuke Yamashita Trio's hot and swirling special live,
that "Re-Intrusion Live" that stole the topic, is now available as an LP with a limited production and serial number!
The booklet also includes a newly written work by Haruki Murakami that you can't read anywhere else! !

<Message from Mr. Haruki Murakami on the release>
It's a precious record to commemorate, and the performance content is also wonderful, so I hope as many people as possible will listen to it. I'm especially happy if young people listen to it.
Even if I listen to it now, or rather, because I listen to it now, the music is fresh. (Haruki Murakami)

Listen to the explosion of the century!

"Yosuke Yamashita Trio Re-Invasion Live" was revived in 2022 last year after half a century at Haruki Murakami's call. It was truly a tremendous live performance that should be called an explosive performance.

The original live performance was held in 1969 on the campus of Waseda University, which was barricaded during the school struggle. Yosuke Yamashita Trio, an up-and-coming jazz musician, brought out the piano from Okuma Auditorium with students to perform jazz live, and the students of the sect, who were in conflict at the time, listened attentively to the performance of the Yamashita Trio.
Soichiro Tahara, who was a TV director, planned this legendary live.
“I asked Yosuke Yamashita how he wanted to die. He said he wanted to die while playing the piano.
However, the speculation ended beyond expectations. Overwhelmed by the Yosuke Yamashita trio's explosive performance, the students of the conflicting sect listened intently. Music transcends struggle.

This legendary live performance was revived after half a century at the call of Mr. Haruki Murakami. On July 12, 2022 (Tuesday), "Haruki Murakami presents Yosuke Yamashita Trio Re-Intrusion Live" was held at Waseda University Okuma Memorial Hall. We will deliver a one-night-only special live that wrapped this venue in heat and excitement on a heavyweight analog record. Luxurious 16-page booklet including newly written liner notes by Haruki Murakami, special appendix, serial number included, weighted edition. (*Serial number cannot be selected)

[Booklet contents]
Newly written manuscript by Haruki Murakami (approximately 2000 characters), Yosuke Yamashita contribution to the magazine "Nami" (approximately 3500 characters),
Hiroshi Nobue (TOKYO FM producer) newly written manuscript, About the live on the day, the performer profile, color photos, etc. are posted.

Brilliant! Thanks for this, I have many Yosuke Yamashita albums, but I definitely need a new one . 🎉
Haruki Murakami presents Yosuke Yamashita Trio Re-Intrusion Live Original Vinyl Limited edition (LP)

Translated from Japanese press release using Google Translate:

Analog record release from TOKYO FM "Murakami RADIO" produced by Haruki Murakami!
Excitement over the past 53 years, Yosuke Yamashita Trio's hot and swirling special live,
that "Re-Intrusion Live" that stole the topic, is now available as an LP with a limited production and serial number!
The booklet also includes a newly written work by Haruki Murakami that you can't read anywhere else! !

<Message from Mr. Haruki Murakami on the release>
It's a precious record to commemorate, and the performance content is also wonderful, so I hope as many people as possible will listen to it. I'm especially happy if young people listen to it.
Even if I listen to it now, or rather, because I listen to it now, the music is fresh. (Haruki Murakami)

Listen to the explosion of the century!

"Yosuke Yamashita Trio Re-Invasion Live" was revived in 2022 last year after half a century at Haruki Murakami's call. It was truly a tremendous live performance that should be called an explosive performance.

The original live performance was held in 1969 on the campus of Waseda University, which was barricaded during the school struggle. Yosuke Yamashita Trio, an up-and-coming jazz musician, brought out the piano from Okuma Auditorium with students to perform jazz live, and the students of the sect, who were in conflict at the time, listened attentively to the performance of the Yamashita Trio.
Soichiro Tahara, who was a TV director, planned this legendary live.
“I asked Yosuke Yamashita how he wanted to die. He said he wanted to die while playing the piano.
However, the speculation ended beyond expectations. Overwhelmed by the Yosuke Yamashita trio's explosive performance, the students of the conflicting sect listened intently. Music transcends struggle.

This legendary live performance was revived after half a century at the call of Mr. Haruki Murakami. On July 12, 2022 (Tuesday), "Haruki Murakami presents Yosuke Yamashita Trio Re-Intrusion Live" was held at Waseda University Okuma Memorial Hall. We will deliver a one-night-only special live that wrapped this venue in heat and excitement on a heavyweight analog record. Luxurious 16-page booklet including newly written liner notes by Haruki Murakami, special appendix, serial number included, weighted edition. (*Serial number cannot be selected)

[Booklet contents]
Newly written manuscript by Haruki Murakami (approximately 2000 characters), Yosuke Yamashita contribution to the magazine "Nami" (approximately 3500 characters),
Hiroshi Nobue (TOKYO FM producer) newly written manuscript, About the live on the day, the performer profile, color photos, etc. are posted.

Brilliant! Thanks for this, I have many Yosuke Yamashita albums, but I definitely need a new one . 🎉

Looks great and I love the story of this recording. Quite expensive though, in the Y10,000ish

Haven't purchased a BBE release in a while. I remember reading some negative reviews on their last releases.
They have had some plant issues from what I’ve heard. Bad quality control. I haven’t gotten any of their reissues in awhile but their distribution seems to be much larger now so easier for me to buy and return if it’s bad

Ah interesting. I was wondering about this one! Might have to pick it up —please let me know how it sounds When you get a chance to listen!

Back