J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

stpaulbrowns

Use the thread to post about anything J-Jazz related - recommendations, reissues, live shows, etc.

An intro to J-Jazz
(Many thanks to @Skalap and @Selaws for this background)

Youtube Playlists
Start with these three fantastic Youtube playlists (mixed by Magical Mystery Mix!). Focused on the 70s but it's also the golden era of Japanese Jazz. Most of the J-Jazz legends are here too : Minoru Muraoka, Hiroshi Suzuki, Takeshi Inomata, Jiro Inagaki, Kosuke Mine, Masaru Imada, Akira Ishikawa, Hozan Yamamoto, Toshiaki Yokota, Takeo Moriyama, etc.

Compilations
J Jazz: Deep Modern Jazz From Japan Vol 1&2 - both sound great with a lot of info about artists, records and J-Jazz. (Highly recommended!)
Two volumes dedicated to J-Jazz in the Spiritual Jazz Jazzman's series. The compilations were curated by Jazzman and Yusuke Ogawa. Again, tons of notes about J-Jazz. Finally, The Famous Sound of The Blind Mice Vol 1 (TBM is kind of the Japanese Blue Note). Sound is fantastic, maybe my best sounding record in my ± 2000 collection!

Reissue labels
Project Re:Vinyl / Deep Jazz Reality
Most complete J-Jazz series you'll find. Records are not cheap, but every release is a piece of art - from packaging to pressing and, most important, the music.

J Jazz Masterclass Series
Series from BBE dedicated to reissuing rare and long-deleted modern Japanese jazz albums. Curated by Tony Higgins and Mike Peden. Each release is presented in a full reproduction of the original artwork, with inserts and obi strip, plus new updated sleeve notes.

Studio Mule / Mule Musiq
These releases are superb (Kompakt is the main distributor). Packages are basic (good quality record in standard reproduction jacket) but the music is almost always top-notch.

Mr Bongo
Started as a small record shop underneath Daddy Kool’s Reggae Store on Berwick Street in London. Over the years, they reissued some of the finest Brazilian, Latin, reggae, African and Jazz artists.

Superfly Records
Located in Paris and specializes in rare and collectible vinyl records in Soul, Brazilian, African, Jazz and Latin music. Each reissue limited to 1,000 copies, pressed on high quality vinyl and sleeve is printed in Japan.
Le Très Jazz Club
French reissue label mostly focused on J-Jazz. First 5 reissues were all picked from TBM discography and two others from Union Records. There is no OBI, this is not an Audiophile label but prices are super fair (± €20) and quality is overall very good.
We Release Jazz
Started series with two Ryo Fukui's records. Both are available in a limited edition of 2000 copies, half speed mastered and pressed on 180g vinyl with tip-on sleeve and obi. Both are also available in a standard edition.
Ryo Fukui ‎– Scenery
Ryo Fukui ‎– Mellow Dream

Three Blind Mice
Quite expensive, true audiophile records. There is an amazing box with three of the most important TBM records available. (Box contains Blow Up, Midnight Sugar, and Misty, all mastered by Tohru Kotetsu & Kevin Gray and Pressed at RTI.)

Last edited:
That's for the tag @stpaulbrowns - I'm actually a bit of a novice on the old J-Jazz tbh although the bits I've listened to over the years prove there's a wealth of talent over there. I'll be happy to learn a bit more on this myself. Thanks for starting the thread!

I'll tag @kafunis as I see him spinning a few from that part of the world from time to time.

Last edited:
Yeah I’ve got a few, mainly70’s stuff that I like. Terumasa Hino (trumpet), Masabumi Kikuchi(keys),Yosuke Yamashita(piano) more free avant-guard,Takeo Moriyama (drums) and those Spiritual Jazz comps and the J-Jazz comps have lots of good stuff! I find once you hit the 80’s though a lot of those guys Hino, Sadao Watanabe etc went a bit smooth jazz for my liking. East Wind is a label worth checking out Kikuchi’s East Wind is a great album, 2 side long tracks! Kosuke Mine has some good stuff as well, but yeah you could spend the rest of your life listening to this stuff.

Where to start? I would suggest a free tour before falling down this crazy rabbit hole!

So you can start with three fantastic Youtube playlist 70s Japanese Jazz Mix (Jazz-funk, Soul Jazz, Rare groove, Drum Breaks..) mixed by Magical Mystery Mix! As the title says it's focused on the 70's but it's also the golden era of Japanese Jazz. Most of the J-Jazz legends are here too : Minoru Muraoka, Hiroshi Suzuki, Takeshi Inomata, Jiro Inagaki, Kosuke Mine, Masaru Imada, Akira Ishikawa, Hozan Yamamoto, Toshiaki Yokota, Takeo Moriyama, etc...

70s Japanese Jazz Mix (Jazz-funk, Soul Jazz, Rare groove, Drum Breaks..) Vol. 1
70s Japanese Jazz Mix (Jazz-funk, Soul Jazz, Rare groove, Drum Breaks..) Vol. 2
70s Japanese Jazz Mix (Jazz-funk, Soul Jazz, Rare groove, Drum Breaks..) Vol. 3

If you love it, then it's time to start your J-Jazz collection and the second step is definitely a few compilation released by BBE, Jazzman or Impex. First are J Jazz: Deep Modern Jazz From Japan Vol 1&2, released on BBE and curated by two J-Jazz records collectors Tony Higgins and Mike Peden (you can follow their Instagram account The Jazz Dad and Bacoso). Both volumes sound great and are available on CD and 3xLP with a lot of information about the artists, the records and the Japanese Jazz from the end 60's to the mid-80's. This is highly recommended. Then comes two volumes dedicated to J-Jazz in the Spiritual Jazz Jazzman's serie. These compilations were curated by Jazzman and Yusuke Ogawa (his IG account is Univerogawa), owner of Universounds webshop and Project Re:Vinyl / Deep Jazz Reality reissues labels (we'll learn more about this J-Jazz Lord below). Again, there are tons of notes to learn more about J-Jazz. Finally, but not the most affordable both in terms of music and price, comes The Famous Sound of The Blind Mice Vol 1. As the title says, it's fully dedicated to TBM label, TBM is kind of the Japanese Blue Note. A few other TBM reissues are available through Impex. Sounding is fantastic, maybe my best sounding record in my ± 2000 records collection so if you have the chance to grab a copy a nice price, do it!

J Jazz - Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 1969 - 1984 (Vol.1)
J Jazz - Deep Modern Jazz from Japan 1969 - 1983 (Vol.2)
Spiritual Jazz 8: Japan pt. 1
Spiritual Jazz 8: Japan pt. 2
The Famous Sound of The Three Blind Mice Vol 1

@stpaulbrowns you can update the first post of this thread when you can. I'll continue later today with the reissue labels I know and/or order from. EDIT: if a few sentences are incorrect, please correct them :p

Last edited:
@Skalap has created quite the list there! In terms of buying some J-Jazz records, Kompakt is a fantastic distributor and a good place to start. The Studio Mule / Mule Musiq releases (of which Kompakt is the main distributor) are superb. The package itself is basic (good quality record in a standard reproduction jacket) but the music itself is almost always top-notch. They do also release a lot of Japanese ambient and electronic music so make use of the track samples on their website. They are also very reasonably priced, even with overseas shipping. A lot of the releases are actually reissues from the legendary Johnny's Disk Record. It was a small independent label ran owner of jazz cafe kaiunbashi no johnny located in rikuzentakata city in iwate prefecture, japan.

Highlight reissues so far have been:
Fumio Itabashi Trio ‎– Rise and Shine - Live at the Aketa's
Fumio Itabashi ‎– Nature
Fumio Itabashi ‎– Watarase
Mitsaki Katayama ‎– First Flight
Yoshimi Ueno ‎– Taiko No Unimari
Eiji Nakayama ‎– Aya's Samba

Cant go wrong with Fumio Itabashi, he is an incredible jazz pianist (he has also played with a few american musicians as a sideman, notably Elvin Jones).

The Aya's Samba was a crate diggers dream find for many years, the opening track is spellbinding!

If I had any sense, I would stay far away from this thread....

Anyways, I'll share a few J-Jazz albums worth checking out:

As a shameless link (but its easier than me copy/pasting and filling up the thread), I have been choosing a J-Jazz record and researching the history behind it each Saturday on my Instagram Account (Selaws.Spins).

Most of them have a great story behind them, from the Musilogue releases that were originally pressed in super low numbers for live gig merchandise, a Superfly Records release of popular western songs played on traditional Japanese instruments, a Studio Mule album where the pianist is described as 'Pharoah Sanders if he played the piano', and a BBE release of a uber rare record that was commissioned by a wealthy Japanese business man to be used as a business card.

As a discussion topic, has anyone had chance to listen to the latest in the BBE J-Jazz Masterclass Series, Miyasaka + 5 – Animals Garden?

It is officially out on the 8th of this month (4 days from now!) but I have started to see instagram posts of people listening to their copies, so maybe they shipped out early.

I listened to the whole album this morning (streaming) and its really enjoyable. The lead is drummer Takashi ‘Bear’ Miyasaka , but I was as impressed, if not more, by Koichi Matsukaze on sax as he has some really powerful solos which he delivers perfectly. On a side note, Matasukaze's album Earth Mother was reissued by BBE last year.

I will certainly pick up Animals Garden on vinyl, its a fair price at £25 for the 2LP set and if the presentation is like the others it will likely be in a nice gatefold with a large liner notes in the spread.

In addition to @Selaws and @Speedracer posts :

Reissue labels :

Project Re:Vinyl / Deep Jazz Reality :

I won't list all the records available in these series (there are more than 150 records and/or CD available) but, IMO, this is the most complete J-Jazz serie you'll find out there. Records are not cheap, not at all actually if you consider completing the serie (you can trust me), but every release is a piece of art, from packaging to pressing and, most important, the music. New records are being added every two months (more or less) and sought after past releases are being repressed from time to time. You are lucky if you can grab a copy for $40/45 but prices can reach $150 quite easily. This serie is curated by Yusuke Ogawa, owner of Universounds web shop where you can buy these releases along with some hard to find Jazz records (Japan and ROW).

J Jazz Masterclass Series :

Series from BBE dedicated to reissuing rare and long-deleted modern Japanese jazz albums. The series is curated by Tony Higgins and Mike Peden. It started as a spin-off from the success of the compilation J Jazz: Deep Modern Jazz From Japan 1969-1984. Each release is presented in a full reproduction of the original artwork, with inserts and obi strip, plus new updated sleeve notes.

Tohru Aizawa Quartet ‎– Tachibana Vol. 1
Takeo Moriyama ‎– East Plants
Koichi Matsukaze Trio + Toshiyuki Daitoku ‎– Earth Mother
Makoto Terashita Meets Harold Land ‎– Topology

Studio Mule / Mule Musiq :

The Studio Mule / Mule Musique releases (of which Kompakt is the main distributor) are superb. The package itself is basic (good quality record in a standard reproduction jacket) but the music itself is almost always top-notch. They do also release a lot of Japanese ambient and electronic music so make use of the track samples on their website. They are also very reasonably priced, even with overseas shipping. A lot of the releases are actually reissues from the legendary Johnny's Disk Record. It was a small independent label ran owner of jazz cafe Kaiunbashi No Johnny located in Rikuzentakata City in Iwate prefecture. Copy/past of @Selaws writing :)

Fumio Itabashi ‎– Watarase
Fumio Itabashi ‎– Nature
Mitsaki Katayama ‎– First Flight
Eiji Nakayama ‎– Aya's Samba
Yoshimi Ueno ‎– Taiko No Unimari
Mayumi Sonoda With Kichiro Sugino Trio - Gogo Sanji No Aki
King Kong Paradise - Atsusa Mo Samusamo…
Doctor Umezu Diva ‎– Diva
Fumio Itabashi Trio ‎– Rise and Shine - Live at the Aketa's

Mr Bongo :

Is there any need to introduce Mr Bongo? Briefly, Mr Bongo started life in 1989 as a small record shop underneath Daddy Kool’s Reggae Store on Berwick Street in London. It was were the first shop to sell vinyl releases from independent hip hop labels such as Def Jam, Rawkus, Nervous and Big Beat outside of the USA. Over the years, they reissued some of the finest Brazilian, Latin, reggae, African and Jazz artists including Ebo Taylor, Hollie Cook, The Skints, Jorge Ben, Joyce, Seu Jorge, Prince Fatty, Incredible Bongo Band, Terry Callier, Arthur Verocai and Marcos Valle amongst many others.

Akira Ishikawa ‎– Back To Rhythm
Minoru Muraoka ‎– Bamboo
Hozan Yamamoto With Sharps & Flats ‎– Beautiful Bamboo-Flute

Superfly Records :

Superfly Records shop is located in Paris and is specialized in rare and collectible vinyl records in Soul, Brazilian, African, Jazz and Latin music. It is also a French reissue record label. Each reissue is strictly limited to 1,000 copies, pressed on high quality vinyl and sleeve is printed in Japan. They collaborate with Disques Dessinés, a record shop located in Tokyo and owned by Masao Maruyama. There is only two J-Jazz records in their serie.

Minoru Muraoka ‎– Bamboo
Toshiaki Yokota And The Beat Generation ‎– Flute Adventure: Le Soleil Était Encore Chaud

Le Très Jazz Club :

Another French reissue label mostly focused on J-Jazz by now (8 of 9 reissued records). The label was founded in 2017 by Fuzati (Klub des Loosers) and Elvin Pagiras (Modulor). Their first 5 reissues were all picked from Three Blind Mice discography and two other from Union Records. There is no OBI, this is not an Audiophile label but prices are super fair (± €20) and quality is overall very good.

Mine, Kosuke Quintet ‎– Mine
Masaru Imada Trio +2 ‎– Green Caterpillar
Isao Suzuki Quartet + 2 ‎– Orang-Utan
Hiroshi Fukumura Quintet ‎– Morning Flight
George Otsuka Quintet ‎– Physical Structure
Naosuke Miyamoto Sextet ‎– Step!
Makoto Terashita - Great Harvest
Hiromasa Suzuki Trio Primrose

We Release Jazz :

Sub label of We Release Whatever The Fuck We Want Records, label based in Switzerland, mostly known for their reissues of Midori Takada's classic Through The Looking Glass and Ghost in the Shell OST. We Release is focused on... Jazz and started their serie with two Ryo Fukui's records. Both are available in a limited edition of 2000 copies, half speed mastered and pressed on 180g vinyl with tip-on sleeve and obi. Both are also available in a standard edition.

Ryo Fukui ‎– Scenery
Ryo Fukui ‎– Mellow Dream

TBM Super-Cut Analogue Disk :

There are 20 records in this serie and I won't list them all. All are quite expensive and pressed around 1995/96. Recently IMPEX repressed a few records from this serie. These are true audiophile records and there is an amazing box with three of the most important TBM records available. The box contains Blow Up, Midnight Sugar, and Misty, all pressed on 180g HQ vinyl at 45rpm, mastered by Tohru Kotetsu & Kevin Gray and Pressed at RTI.

@stpaulbrowns that's it for now ;)

Last edited:
Everything @Skalap said but adding a few tidbits:

On 3 November, Universounds issued

Makoto Terashita - Great Harvest - (Dustygroove link)
Toshiyuki Miyama & His New Herd - Nio & Pigeon (Dustygroove Link)

It also looks like represses of the following are coming around 15 November:

Hiroshi Suzuki — Cat
Takeo Moriyama — Smile
Hiromasa Suzuki — High Flying

These have all been out of print for a while. I am very fond of the Hiroshi Suzuki!

Everything @Skalap said but adding a few tidbits:

On 3 November, Universounds issued

Makoto Terashita - Great Harvest - (Dustygroove link)
Toshiyuki Miyama & His New Herd - Nio & Pigeon (Dustygroove Link)

It also looks like represses of the following are coming around 15 November:

Hiroshi Suzuki — Cat
Takeo Moriyama — Smile
Hiromasa Suzuki — High Flying

These have all been out of print for a while. I am very fond of the Hiroshi Suzuki!

Yup all of these are part of the Project Re:Vinyl serie. You can't go wrong with these reissues and Cat is definitely one of the very best.

Anyone know how to get around the 10k character limit? I know I have far fewer than 10,000 characters in the initial post, but the system stops me from saving everything. :mad:

Anyway - I think the info from @Skalap and @Selaws is FANTASTIC as an intro. Thanks for providing a solid foundation to start!

Edit: AND @Speedracer!

Anyone know how to get around the 10k character limit? I know I have far fewer than 10,000 characters in the initial post, but the system stops me from saving everything. :mad:

Anyway - I think the info from @Skalap and @Selaws is FANTASTIC as an intro. Thanks for providing a solid foundation to start!

Edit: AND @Speedracer!

@Captainfog can you do something about this limit?

Anyone have opinions about the Audio Lab label? Supposedly they “rivaled” Three Blind Mice in the 70’s in sound quality and shared some of the same artists at times. The label was masterminded by Okihiko Sugano who many claim is the Japanese Rudy Van Gelder. I picked up three releases and they do indeed sound great even if the music isn’t as transcendent as, say, the titles from the TBM box.

The titles I picked up are:
Takeshi Inomata and His Friends- Get Happy
Kazuo Yashiro Trio- I’deal
Eiji Kitamura + Kazuo Yashiro Trio- Right Oh

One of my favourite releases of the year is having a worldwide release on November 15th. Naoito's DotA. Originally released on Japan's Jazzy Sport label, this was imposible to get hold of. Japanese afrobeat

☆.A, by ☆.A/NAOITO

One of my favourite releases of the year is having a worldwide release on November 15th. Naoito's DotA. Originally released on Japan's Jazzy Sport label, this was imposible to get hold of. Japanese afrobeat

☆.A, by ☆.A/NAOITO
I feel like I have seen that cover artwork before? Was there a series of singles that went together to make a full picture or something?

Anyone have opinions about the Audio Lab label? Supposedly they “rivaled” Three Blind Mice in the 70’s in sound quality and shared some of the same artists at times. The label was masterminded by Okihiko Sugano who many claim is the Japanese Rudy Van Gelder. I picked up three releases and they do indeed sound great even if the music isn’t as transcendent as, say, the titles from the TBM box.

Never heard of the label, but sounds promising.

I picked up 3 of theses a few years ago, but I find the music pretty bland and I never listen to them , I might pull them out of storage and give them another listen on the weekend.

Back