J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

I’m losing track of all these TBM reissues. I have several of the Craftman reissues from 2022, and i think those were re-pressed in 2023. The Sony/Grundman series is 3 titles in “Phase 1” (Mine/Sailing Ice/Misty), but @MikeH you mention other announced titles. Can you point me to a list or announcement? Thanks!
Sony owns the catalog...clearly they sense $$ and international distribution so doubt there will be any more licensing....interestingly my Mine had a small warp which is very rare for new Japanese vinyl...

Sony owns the catalog...clearly they sense $$ and international distribution so doubt there will be any more licensing....interestingly my Mine had a small warp which is very rare for new Japanese vinyl...
I didn’t notice any warp on mine. Bought from CDjapan. And somehow it was shipped and got to me in NY in less than a day

Just received my copy of the latest Project Re: Vinyl - Ryusei Tomoyose 'Dah Nah' - music-wise it's a session that probably should have come out earlier than some of the jazz-rock meanderings and definitely the free-jazz nonsense (IMO :)) that has been populating this series for the last 18 months or so....I particularly like this era of jazz in Japan, its just nice to listen to...SQ on this one is very good.

interestingly, the packaging is direct print, flimsy cardboard - I don't have an original of this to compare (or ever seen one in the wild) but hope this is replica packaging and NOT a move further down the quality line here, especially as these are now 5K inc tax...

Just received my copy of the latest Project Re: Vinyl - Ryusei Tomoyose 'Dah Nah' - music-wise it's a session that probably should have come out earlier than some of the jazz-rock meanderings and definitely the free-jazz nonsense (IMO :)) that has been populating this series for the last 18 months or so....I particularly like this era of jazz in Japan, its just nice to listen to...SQ on this one is very good.

interestingly, the packaging is direct print, flimsy cardboard - I don't have an original of this to compare (or ever seen one in the wild) but hope this is replica packaging and NOT a move further down the quality line here, especially as these are now 5K inc tax...
I agree, I wish it was a tip-on sleeve, for what this costs it should be. But it does sound nice.

Didn't realize TBM stuff was reprinted. Is this any cheaper than the Impex releases? The cheapest copy of Misty being $60 is annoying as hell.

Didn't realize TBM stuff was reprinted. Is this any cheaper than the Impex releases? The cheapest copy of Misty being $60 is annoying as hell.
There are fresh remasters from Bernie. Light In The Attic is distributing these here it seems and Dusty Groove has them as well. You can go the bundle route, which is $128 shipped for all three.

what @Holdsworthian said. Bundle at LITA of the first three titles. Cut by Bernie Grundman. Dusty Groove also has them but not sure price difference after shipping is accounted for

Do we know if they are being pressed at the same plant as other LITA releases? Had a pretty abysmal experience with them recently.

Do we know if they are being pressed at the same plant as other LITA releases? Had a pretty abysmal experience with them recently.
They are pressed in Japan. LITA seems to do more importing and distribution than actually do their own titles these days. There’s no one plant for LITA’s own reissues

Well now we get to the other problem: Misty and the bundle are sold out.

Dropping to my knees in a Wal Mart

Forgot to share this, but the other week I visited the Tokyo Jazz Joints exhibition here in London. I had a chat with Philip (the photographer) before heading over and he said there might be some posters available, so I picked this up whilst there.

IMG_9855.JPG

Forgot to share this, but the other week I visited the Tokyo Jazz Joints exhibition here in London. I had a chat with Philip (the photographer) before heading over and he said there might be some posters available, so I picked this up whilst there.

View attachment 200820
Nice.

I just got the book a couple months ago, if they sold prints or posters that would be neat

Nice.

I just got the book a couple months ago, if they sold prints or posters that would be neat
The book was originally a kick starter with some of the pledges including photographic prints.

I went for the first edition signed and hanko stamped edition with a print. Really stunning quality, I'm planning on framing it at some point. Really cool stuff.

interestingly...the one J-Jazz title I was considering pickup from RSD here was the late period/recent recording of Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, also released in direct print jacket - so instead I picked up the bill Evans mono for roughly the same price...premium cost = premium packaging, very disappointed in this trend, maybe Ill ask Ogawa-san at Universounds next time I go out there...

Back