J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

Ah interesting. I was wondering about this one! Might have to pick it up —please let me know how it sounds When you get a chance to listen!
Got Kohsuke, Four Compositions, and Yamataifu. Haven't listened to Yamataifu yet but the other 2 sounded really good. Very clean pressings and clear/detailed sound. Kohsuke especially has some serious bass that you don't usually get on jazz records. I don't have anything to compare these to though. The jackets for Four and Yamataifu are pretty crazy - I'm assuming they copied the original designs and they are very impressive.

Side rant about Kohsuke: what's going on with the rhythm section? It sounds like the drummer can't hear what else is going on and is constantly missing beats. It's sloppy as hell and can at times be really distracting. I thought it was worse on side 1 but maybe I just got more used to it by side 2.

This one might not seem like J-Jazz on the outside, but it is on the inside! Gary Peacock with Masabumi Kikuchi and Hiroshi Murakami from 1970, before his ECM days. Part of a bundle from Universounds that arrived a couple weeks ago, and I finally got it on the turntable. Really nice release with fantastic sound. Highly recommend. Sufficiently interesting piano trio that’s a little “out.” Up next, the CD of the 1971 release from the same trio with Hozan Yamamoto (under Yamamoto’s name) “Silver World”

IMG_1915.jpeg

Can someone please refresh my memory of the name of the Japanaese artist who is a guitarist, released an album over the past 2 years that has a cover of a woman swimming underwater? The dialog around the album was that it was composed for a movie that doesn't exist...she performs solo I think...thanks in advance for any info. Trying to locate this album just don't recall the name.
Edit: it's Windswept Adan by Ichiko Aoba, thank you.

Last edited:
Possibly next two Projec Re:Vinyl releases, both out in November 22

I would appreciate any recs for the best place to start with Kaoru Abe's discography? Also, are there any Japanese counterparts to Larry Young you might recommend?

Outstanding primer, thank you!
I also highly recommend the Abe/Toyozumi session NoBussiness put out 5 years ago, somewhat easy to fine, leans more on the Ayler side of Abe's work Kaoru Abe / Sabu Toyozumi - 挽歌。= Banka

If you can find a good price, and are willing to go the CD route, the 1970-1973 box is worth every cent, I got it for a really great price a few years ago, but it seems to have really jumped in price, but again, while Abe stuff isn't impossible to find, almost everything released is $$$

The box though covers I believe most of the PSF. releases

you get super heavy moments and many of the quiet moments he is (at least for me) known for and what makes him unique in a lot of ways.

The Jinya Disc releases (I believe there have been two?) are fairly easy to find, but expect to spend 50-80 USD, but it's worth it to anytime hear Takayanagi and Abe rip together on vinyl. I spoke to a label a few years ago that is from USA, and they hinted to me that these could have a reissue in the USA, but again, this was a few months ago

I am not sure details about his estate, but it would not surprise me if down the road if The Black Editions label does reissue some of the PSF releases. My understanding is they (Black Editions) bought the whole catalog, it doesn't appear these Abe releases were just licensed to PSF, so it appears they should be part of the general PSF catalog (please someone keep me honest and let me know if I am wrong).

Also somewhat Abe related, Abe's widow is a good writer, Izumi Suzuki, and her Terminal Boredom book got an English translation I believe last year?

If you are bored. (and i believe it was in that thread, at least clips), the drama movie on his his life, Endless Waltz, is worth watching just in terms of seeingn that Haino scene haha. I have a subtitled version but you can find raw here I believe
(please note this movie is 100% NSFW)

Kou Machida plays Abe. Kou Machida was Also in Burst City, which while not jazz related, included bands like The Stalin, which is pretty cool if you ask me

Kaoru Abe forever!

Last edited:
I also highly recommend the Abe/Toyozumi session NoBussiness put out 5 years ago, somewhat easy to fine, leans more on the Ayler side of Abe's work Kaoru Abe / Sabu Toyozumi - 挽歌。= Banka

If you can find a good price, and are willing to go the CD route, the 1970-1973 box is worth every cent, I got it for a really great price a few years ago, but it seems to have really jumped in price, but again, while Abe stuff isn't impossible to find, almost everything released is $$$

The box though covers I believe most of the PSF. releases

you get super heavy moments and many of the quiet moments he is (at least for me) known for and what makes him unique in a lot of ways.

The Jinya Disc releases (I believe there have been two?) are fairly easy to find, but expect to spend 50-80 USD, but it's worth it to anytime hear Takayanagi and Abe rip together on vinyl. I spoke to a label a few years ago that is from USA, and they hinted to me that these could have a reissue in the USA, but again, this was a few months ago

I am not sure details about his estate, but it would not surprise me if down the road if The Black Editions label does reissue some of the PSF releases. My understanding is they (Black Editions) bought the whole catalog, it doesn't appear these Abe releases were just licensed to PSF, so it appears they should be part of the general PSF catalog (please someone keep me honest and let me know if I am wrong).

Also somewhat Abe related, Abe's widow is a good writer, Izumi Suzuki, and her Terminal Boredom book got an English translation I believe last year?

If you are bored. (and i believe it was in that thread, at least clips), the drama movie on his his life, Endless Waltz, is worth watching just in terms of seeingn that Haino scene haha. I have a subtitled version but you can find raw here I believe
(please note this movie is 100% NSFW)

Kou Machida plays Abe. Kou Machida was Also in Burst City, which while not jazz related, included bands like The Stalin, which is pretty cool if you ask me

Kaoru Abe forever!

This is incredibly helpful, thanks!
His wife wrote some great sci fi stories and had an interesting life story as well. Does anyone know if the Endless Waltz book has an English translation available? I am hopeful for Black Editions reissues of his work.

This is incredibly helpful, thanks!
His wife wrote some great sci fi stories and had an interesting life story as well. Does anyone know if the Endless Waltz book has an English translation available? I am hopeful for Black Editions reissues of his work.
I dont believe Endless Waltz was a book (at least not from what I know), just a drama movie. I also would say a lot of it is probably fiction or leans into fiction. It is cool to see the live houses etc

I think there are some Japanese TV video on youtube that is kinda a doc of sorts, but i don't think there is an English translation.

I dont believe Endless Waltz was a book (at least not from what I know), just a drama movie. I also would say a lot of it is probably fiction or leans into fiction. It is cool to see the live houses etc

I think there are some Japanese TV video on youtube that is kinda a doc of sorts, but i don't think there is an English translation.
There appears to be a book entitled Endless Waltz, written by Mayumi Inaba. Perhaps the movie is based on it? Apparently, there was some concern expressed by Abe's surving daughter that it was intrusive to their private lives. I gather part of the idea behind the book was to also look at Izumi Suzuki's life and achievements before she passed, which included Abe and their daughter.

There appears to be a book entitled Endless Waltz, written by Mayumi Inaba. Perhaps the movie is based on it? Apparently, there was some concern expressed by Abe's surving daughter that it was intrusive to their private lives. I gather part of the idea behind the book was to also look at Izumi Suzuki's life and achievements before she passed, which included Abe and their daughter.
Ah was not aware of the book, I would think ultimately think that book at least does not have an official translation, or one at all. If we cant get a translation of Merzbow's vegan cookbooks, I'd be hard-pressed to believe we get a translation of this book haha :)

I would appreciate any recs for the best place to start with Kaoru Abe's discography? Also, are there any Japanese counterparts to Larry Young you might recommend?
also for something really weird, here is a J-Pop group called"ゆるめるモ!" that basically ripped off (knowingly, as I believe JOJO from Hijokaidan may have discovered them, but has def worked with them, including on this LP) a Kaoru Abe LP cover LOL...

Kaoru Abe x Masayuki Takayanagi - 解体的交感
R-4171568-1506082732-6143.jpg

ゆるめるモ! x Hijokaidan
R-9977004-1489540993-8850.jpg

very cool compilation...nice track list..maybe Sony is starting finally realize how valuable this catalog is...

They must see how well Craftsman reissues sold. My only hope is Sony doesn't do shitty represses. So far Think! and Craftman reissues have been pretty good.

@Portland Sheriff I’ve been eyeing some stuff at Universounds and believe you’ve ordered from them before. What kinda shipping charges should I expect?
Universounds charges 4,000 yen for any shipment up to 2kg, and Yusuke is willing to hold orders so you can add to a single shipment and give a sense of when you're nearing 2kg. He's done this for me at least 5 times over the past few years. Normally, 2kg is 5 albums, but that can obviously shift with double LPs, and I think on one occasion, I had enough gatefold single LPs that 4 albums was hitting the 2kg.

I've been very happy with grading. I've only had one issue that was latent in the sense that it wasn't visible. I sent a video showing the problem, and Yusuke replaced the item immediately (he happened to have two copies of that item -- Jones/Davis "Heavy Sounds").

His prices are consistently lower than what you'll find on Discogs, especially if (like me) you prefer no obi for the cost savings. If you wait long enough to get 5 items, the shipping cost per item is not bad, especially w the current exchange rates, almost always resulting in lower prices than what's on discogs.

I agree w/ @bornard about timing, though, and it can be frustrating. Yusuke usually posts 5 items a day at 11.30est (8.30am for me), and some items go shockingly fast. I recommend being logged in, having shipping information stored in your account, and familiarizing yourself w/ the purchasing pages translated to English. They're straightforward, with one wrinkle where you have to scroll down and click PayPal as the payment option, and there's also a purchase confirmation click you need to make.

You'll get an email confirmation of the order at the time of purchase. If you want Yusuke to hold the order to aggregate more items for a single shipment, reply to that email requesting as much. Later (overnight US time) Yusuke will send a PayPal invoice that should not include shipping if you've requested he hold the items. He'll include shipping in the PayPal invoice when you've hit 2kg or you've asked to ship it regardless of the # of items.

Universounds charges 4,000 yen for any shipment up to 2kg, and Yusuke is willing to hold orders so you can add to a single shipment and give a sense of when you're nearing 2kg. He's done this for me at least 5 times over the past few years. Normally, 2kg is 5 albums, but that can obviously shift with double LPs, and I think on one occasion, I had enough gatefold single LPs that 4 albums was hitting the 2kg.

I've been very happy with grading. I've only had one issue that was latent in the sense that it wasn't visible. I sent a video showing the problem, and Yusuke replaced the item immediately (he happened to have two copies of that item -- Jones/Davis "Heavy Sounds").

His prices are consistently lower than what you'll find on Discogs, especially if (like me) you prefer no obi for the cost savings. If you wait long enough to get 5 items, the shipping cost per item is not bad, especially w the current exchange rates, almost always resulting in lower prices than what's on discogs.

I agree w/ @bornard about timing, though, and it can be frustrating. Yusuke usually posts 5 items a day at 11.30est (8.30am for me), and some items go shockingly fast. I recommend being logged in, having shipping information stored in your account, and familiarizing yourself w/ the purchasing pages translated to English. They're straightforward, with one wrinkle where you have to scroll down and click PayPal as the payment option, and there's also a purchase confirmation click you need to make.

You'll get an email confirmation of the order at the time of purchase. If you want Yusuke to hold the order to aggregate more items for a single shipment, reply to that email requesting as much. Later (overnight US time) Yusuke will send a PayPal invoice that should not include shipping if you've requested he hold the items. He'll include shipping in the PayPal invoice when you've hit 2kg or you've asked to ship it regardless of the # of items.
Thanks! I’ve just been looking every once in awhile and notice he always adds great stuff. I’ll have to keep an eye more when I wanna buy some!

Back