J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

project re:vinyl did Sammy and Count buffalo in the first run - depends if you like Sammy or not, Masahiko Sato Palladium is kind of a classic, minus the free jazz leanings (IMO) - I'm not a fan of most of his stuff, and there's a bunch of Sato released on Express, there's a Hideo Shiraki compilation that's affordable considering his early albums are not...Deep Jazz Reality did a Toshiaki Yokota record a few years back..Yosuke Yamashita with brass 12 is another rarity, not my jam...Kazumi Watanabe Infinite is some cool fusion finding the first press with the different cover is super rare....FYI most original pressings are red vinyl...

From what I read on Tower webshop these reissues will be red too.

They gotta slow down on these releases 😅

Damn, I don’t know this album and saw 1986 and Japan and jazz and thought, “here comes some cheese.” Then I listened to the sample track, which may not be for everyone (although I definitely like it), and it’s anything but cheese.

Will listen to the rest later today.

More great reissues by Craftman Records

CMRS159_160_A3.jpg

More great reissues by Craftman Records

CMRS159_160_A3.jpg
JoJo is not bad, if a bit light. We Now Create will be perfect to end any dinner party early. Like, immediately.

New Spotify playlist curated by Yusuke Ogawa : J-DIGS

WaJazz (Japanese Jazz) Playlist selected by Yusuke Ogawa. Yusuke Ogawa, the owner of the used vinyl store "universounds" has wowed diggers around the world with his ability to discover and archive jazz, funk, and rare grooves. This playlist is a selection of tunes from hard bop to fusion, taken from Nippon Columbia's vaults.

looks like Earth Mother may have gotten a repress, of course after I just bought it on the secondary market. a bunch have popped up on ebay for list price so wondering if it's the BBE version....they had told me when i was at their label shop in London that it was the only JJazz Masterclass record they were unable to repress....

looks like Earth Mother may have gotten a repress, of course after I just bought it on the secondary market. a bunch have popped up on ebay for list price so wondering if it's the BBE version....they had told me when i was at their label shop in London that it was the only JJazz Masterclass record they were unable to repress....
That’s odd and seems a bit fishy bc BBE’s web store has none, and it’s bandcamp shows ”Sold Out,” and none of the big euro sellers that have had BBE J-Jazz have them; likewise Dusty Groove (which has had some); yet all those eBay listings say it’s BBE’s release using stock images, not images of the actual item. I suppose we’ll find out.

1675295825841.png

That’s odd and seems a bit fishy bc BBE’s web store has none, and it’s bandcamp shows ”Sold Out,” and none of the big euro sellers that have had BBE J-Jazz have them; likewise Dusty Groove (which has had some); yet all those eBay listings say it’s BBE’s release using stock images, not images of the actual item. I suppose we’ll find out.

View attachment 165798
Yea I’d be surprised too. A buddy ordered one so will see what turns up when he gets it!

Yup! Mike Peden (aka Bacoso on Instagram) said that a repress of Earth Mother is coming "soon" but didn't confirm any release date. Volume 4 of the compilations coming this year too.

Yup! Mike Peden (aka Bacoso on Instagram) said that a repress of Earth Mother is coming "soon" but didn't confirm any release date. Volume 4 of the compilations coming this year too.
A bit frustrating since they told me to buy it on the secondary market since it would not be repressed…but glad more people can pick up a copy at a reasonable price!

A bit frustrating since they told me to buy it on the secondary market since it would not be repressed…but glad more people can pick up a copy at a reasonable price!

Yup they always say the same: only one press, last album, last chance to see on tour. Then the year after they come back with another limited press, another album or a renaissance tour. Hope you didn't pay too much for it :(

I received the NL and was coming to post this. East Plants also available.
As I understand it, licensing some of this work is super complicated because of Japanese intellectual property law but it looks like whatever was holding up a repress was sorted out. That is great news because this was getting crazy on the secondary market.

Man, I really think I might need to get back on the BBE J-Jazz train.

I bought the first 6 releases in the series, 2018 through to 2020, and absolutely love them. Plus the first 3 compilations. When they released Shintaro Quintet - Evolution I remember it being a pain to find here at a decent price, then Kohsuke Mine - First ‎came out with the same thing happening.

I think I might re-listen to each and maybe I will find some deals on the others along the way.

Back