J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

Thanks for the responses, everybody. Much appreciated! I ended up ordering the latest two releases in the Re:Vinyl series from Cromulent, as the Kokezaru Suite LP appears to already be out of stock everywhere else. Hopefully they'll be able to come through for me! Planning to place an order with HMV Japan for a few other titles. Any recommendations for "can't miss" titles from this series that are still available?

Thanks for the responses, everybody. Much appreciated! I ended up ordering the latest two releases in the Re:Vinyl series from Cromulent, as the Kokezaru Suite LP appears to already be out of stock everywhere else. Hopefully they'll be able to come through for me! Planning to place an order with HMV Japan for a few other titles. Any recommendations for "can't miss" titles from this series that are still available?

Japanese shops are very careful with the packaging, I never had any issue with any of them. As for the best records in the serie, there are so many. Maybe you should start with Scenery, Smile, Cat... At least these ones are repressed regularly and you should be able to purchse a copy quite easily. Good luck for the others, some have never been repressed.

Oh and welcome on board!

Welcome on board!

Japanese shops are very careful with the packaging, I never had any issue with any of them. As for the best records in the serie, there are so many. Maybe you should start with Scenery, Smile, Cat... At least these ones are repressed regularly and you should be able to purchse a copy quite easily. Good luck for the others, some have never been repressed.

Oh and welcome on board!

Welcome on board!
Thanks for the welcome! I have the We Release Jazz edition of 'Cat'. Any significant reason to go for the Re:Vinyl edition also?

Thanks for the welcome! I have the We Release Jazz edition of 'Cat'. Any significant reason to go for the Re:Vinyl edition also?

Nope, both are excellent. Actually you'll probably find We Release Jazz versions of Ryo Fukui more easily and cheaper.

Don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but I placed an order with Cromulent last week and they came today. I was super bummed at the way they were packed. No protection at all, just a box with egg cartons on top and bottom inside. Every record sleeve came with significant damage, damaged corners and/or seam splits.

Maybe if you ordered only a couple it’ll be better, but I ordered 6 and am pretty pissed about it. Sent them an email but I don’t expect much out of it. Tbh I don’t even want to open them.

Don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but I placed an order with Cromulent last week and they came today. I was super bummed at the way they were packed. No protection at all, just a box with egg cartons on top and bottom inside. Every record sleeve came with significant damage, damaged corners and/or seam splits.

Maybe if you ordered only a couple it’ll be better, but I ordered 6 and am pretty pissed about it. Sent them an email but I don’t expect much out of it. Tbh I don’t even want to open them.
Seam splits are an easy fix.

There really is no guaranteed safe way to ship records, although some do it better than others. The larger and/or heavier the box, the more shipping costs, particularly distant locations like Japan. The best way to ship records, whether one or ten, is to sandwich the pile between two sheets of cardboard and wrap heavily with cellophane. Time consuming though, and a small shop will not have time or staff to do it, many of these are one man operations.

It is incumbent on the buyer to ask for the records to be shipped outside the sleeves to avoid seam splits. I have yet to encounter a seller who will not, buy the buyer must ask, as apparently many people seem to have some fetish about the record not being inside the sleeve. With used records, as there is no shrinkwrap, the record is highly mobile within the sleeve, and with movement in shipping - no matter what the box, or most packing, presents a sharp edge repeatedly striking the weak seam, often with force.

The physics of that is - sharp edge against a seam with force = seam splits. Inevitable.

Seam splits are an easy fix.

There really is no guaranteed safe way to ship records, although some do it better than others. The larger and/or heavier the box, the more shipping costs, particularly distant locations like Japan. The best way to ship records, whether one or ten, is to sandwich the pile between two sheets of cardboard and wrap heavily with cellophane. Time consuming though, and a small shop will not have time or staff to do it, many of these are one man operations.

It is incumbent on the buyer to ask for the records to be shipped outside the sleeves to avoid seam splits. I have yet to encounter a seller who will not, buy the buyer must ask, as apparently many people seem to have some fetish about the record not being inside the sleeve. With used records, as there is no shrinkwrap, the record is highly mobile within the sleeve, and with movement in shipping - no matter what the box, or most packing, presents a sharp edge repeatedly striking the weak seam, often with force.

The physics of that is - sharp edge against a seam with force = seam splits. Inevitable.
I get that seam splits happen. But this was not cared for, at all. I'm more pissed about the bent and smashed corners.

I sell stuff, and many time in bulk. I am still able to use bubble wrap to make sure corners aren't slamming against the ground and there is no movement of the records in shipment. These were bouncing around the box with little to no protection other than egg cartons on top and bottom. Nothing protecting the corners, sides, etc.

I don't care what kind of operation it is. I am one person and I can ship better than that. For what I spent, it is unacceptable.

Reactions: .Z.
I

I’ve had one record shipped from Cromulent before, it came in a mailer and no damage. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, very weird they would use a regular box, they probably don’t have mailers for multiple records. Def should reach out to them, I hope they make it right.

Not sure how many free jazz fans we have here, but this newish release of an Akira Sakata/Takeo Moriyama concert from 1986 is amazing. Vinyl has been delayed but I got the CD set and it sounds really good.

This one has been reissued, just ordered mine:

Also forthcoming:

&

Note sure I have posted about this label before but I strongly recommend having a look at Days of Delight label.

They recently released two live recordings from TBM legends Motohiko Hino and Isao Suzuki. These recordings were lost for almost 50 years and are finally available. Suzuki's live was recorded with the same musicians he recorded Orang-Utan a few months later.

Ok top of this, there are other recent recordings of J-Jazz legends with a young and gifted new generation of musicians.

Note sure I have posted about this label before but I strongly recommend having a look at Days of Delight label.

They recently released two live recordings from TBM legends Motohiko Hino and Isao Suzuki. These recordings were lost for almost 50 years and are finally available. Suzuki's live was recorded with the same musicians he recorded Orang-Utan a few months later.

Ok top of this, there are other recent recordings of J-Jazz legends with a young and gifted new generation of musicians.
Where’d you buy them from? I’ll have to look into them. Really like Motohiko Hino

Where’d you buy them from? I’ll have to look into them. Really like Motohiko Hino

I buy them from Amazon Japan to avoid high customs fees but they are also on HMV Japan or Disk Union. I updated the listing on Discogs with the EAN code, it should help you to find them.

I buy them from Amazon Japan to avoid high customs fees but they are also on HMV Japan or Disk Union. I updated the listing on Discogs with the EAN code, it should help you to find them.
Ah didn’t realize they were CD but I’ll try to check them out!

So I placed an order through HMV Japan on Discogs and had a good suprise.

On my past orders, I had to pay taxes (20% for France) and handling fees to DHL (25/30€ IIRC). Well, this time taxes were paid upfront on Discogs and I didn't had to pay any fee to DHL. So the price you see for your cart on Discogs is the price you will pay, with no extras.

Back