J-Jazz (Japanese Jazz)

The Impex 2 x 45rpm of “Blow Up” by Isao Suzuki is coming back in stock to The In Groove and, presumably, other places: (Pre Order) Isao Suzuki Trio - Blow Up - Impex LP (Impex Misty and Midnight Sugar also coming back)

Fwiw, this was the best sounding album I owned except for, maybe, Beck “Sea Change” (Mofi) . . . and, as mentioned in another thread a couple days ago, I sold it when I got the Craftman 33rpm bc I thought I’d spin the Craftman 33 more. I do spin the 33 more, and it sounds great, but the Impex is a small step up in sound quality if that’s your thing.

I‘m happy w my decision and will keep the 33rpm, but the Craftman 2nd press from last year is now gone from HMV’s site (“deleted” status). Perhaps there’ll be a 3rd press of that, but, if you don’t want to wait, the Impex version is here again after several years.

Last edited:
The Impex 2 x 45rpm of “Blow Up” by Isao Suzuki is coming back in stock to The In Groove and, presumably, other places: (Pre Order) Isao Suzuki Trio - Blow Up - Impex LP (Impex Misty and Midnight Sugar also coming back)

Fwiw, this was the best sounding album I owned except for, maybe, Beck “Sea Change” (Mofi) . . . and, as mentioned in another thread a couple days ago, I sold it when I got the Craftman 33rpm bc I thought I’d spin the Craftman 33 more. I do spin the 33 more, and it sounds great, but the Impex is a small step up in sound quality if that’s your thing.

I‘m happy w my decision and will keep the 33rpm, but the Craftman 2nd press from last year is now gone from HMV’s site (“deleted” status). Perhaps there’ll be a 3rd press of that, but, if you don’t want to wait, the Impex version is here again after several years.

I only have the compilation and it also is best sounding record I own. It's like the musicians are in my living room.

You are saying this compilation is boring? 😳

I would not say boring, but I do avoid comps. Don't think I have a single one. They tend by nature to be more conservative, either 'hits' oriented or attempts to be 'representative' by favoring more accessible cuts, even more heavily standards.

I prefer the whole meal, not a few nibbles.

I would not say boring, but I do avoid comps. Don't think I have a single one. They tend by nature to be more conservative, either 'hits' oriented or attempts to be 'representative' by favoring more accessible cuts, even more heavily standards.

I agree with you and do not own a lot of compilation. Problem with TBM is that I cannot afford the whole meal.

Last edited:

It's great that Cisco put this compilation together and Impex is reissuing it and that it sounds as good as it does - TBM was a niche within a niche and unfortunately, the ship has sailed in terms of finding anything original these days for reasonable $$, for those of us with deep collections, we can consider ourselves lucky (or savvy) that we have them but widening the audience can only put pressure on Sony to release more and more of these on vinyl for a new audience that is hungry for it (as seen by the sell-out of 2 pressing runs of the recent reissues).

I have to admit that I dropped off the J-Jazz train a while back. No fault of its own, it was just that I was struggling to listen to all the different avenues that I had taken and one had to drop off.

I was really heavy into it for a while which was helped by all the reissues. I picked up all of the BBE J-Jazz series up to "Sasaki Hideto - Stop Over", the first 10 releases from Studio Mule, a few from Mule Musiq, etc. Im going to start deep diving into these again properly as for the past few years I only really listen to them sporadically and randomly.

A few months ago I pledged on Tokyo Jazz Joints Kickstarter for their coffee table book and an art print, and that kick started me into listening to bits that I missed the first time (in conjunction with relistening to their podcast).

I never went down the Project Re:Vinyl route because they were quite pricey at the time, but spent the morning listening to Takeo Moriyama's albums (I have the BBE Earth Plants) and cant get enough, "Smile" in particular blew me away.

So here we go, this weekend im going to set aside some time to fully emerge into the J-Jazz music again.

I have to admit that I dropped off the J-Jazz train a while back. No fault of its own, it was just that I was struggling to listen to all the different avenues that I had taken and one had to drop off.

I was really heavy into it for a while which was helped by all the reissues. I picked up all of the BBE J-Jazz series up to "Sasaki Hideto - Stop Over", the first 10 releases from Studio Mule, a few from Mule Musiq, etc. Im going to start deep diving into these again properly as for the past few years I only really listen to them sporadically and randomly.

A few months ago I pledged on Tokyo Jazz Joints Kickstarter for their coffee table book and an art print, and that kick started me into listening to bits that I missed the first time (in conjunction with relistening to their podcast).

I never went down the Project Re:Vinyl route because they were quite pricey at the time, but spent the morning listening to Takeo Moriyama's albums (I have the BBE Earth Plants) and cant get enough, "Smile" in particular blew me away.

So here we go, this weekend im going to set aside some time to fully emerge into the J-Jazz music again.

FYI they keep repressing some of the most popular records from the Project Re:Vinyl serie. #nevertoolate

Do you know if the book will also be for sale to the general public?

Do you know if the book will also be for sale to the general public?
Im not entirely sure. Initially it was a Crowdfund only book as a way of securing the funds for the actual printing of it. But they smashed their target by quite a bit I think so it might well be that they have some extras coming.

I have been listening to the podcast for years now and right at the beginning they talked of a coffee table book being their dream goal, so its been in the works for a bit.

New reissue serie and the first bunch includes the amazing and impossible to find Primitive Community released by Toshiaki Yokota :

Has anyone heard these yet? I’m especially interested in the Karuizawa Inn LPs and I’ll probably buy them anyway, but just curious how these came out.

Has anyone heard these yet? I’m especially interested in the Karuizawa Inn LPs and I’ll probably buy them anyway, but just curious how these came out.
I have Ride and Tai (or Tie depending on where it’s listed) and Genshi Kyoudou Tai at home, just delivered, but I left town the same day so haven’t had a chance to clean/listen yet. Should be able to give feedback Tuesday when I get back.

I have all of them pre-ordered at my local but I don't know they'll have them. Let us know what you think @Portland Sheriff

Back