It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Speaking of Liverpool not even close.....what is the record for widest margin of aggregate in a European knockout stage lol

Europa League is way more interesting this season than Champions League IMO

View attachment 197754View attachment 197755

The champions league is really beginning to suffer from the inevitable that since it expanded to more than the champions games that were previously blue chip and rare and special because of it are now yearly run of the mill fixtures. It’s the reason the super league also fails as a concept. But the insatiable greed of the biggest clubs has driven us here.

Liverpool really dodged some bullets avoiding Roma Milan and Leverkusen....they're really letting Klopp go out on a high

I never enjoy playing Serie A teams in European cups. There's also some screwery that tends to happen at their stadium. Benfica, possibly in the next round if we beat Atalanta, would be tough as well. If I had my choice, I'd love to play Leverkusen since Xabi is the main target FSG are said to be after for Klopp's replacement. Just trying to enjoy these last 2+ months of Jurgen. In a positive development, Michael Edwards is returning.

I never enjoy playing Serie A teams in European cups. There's also some screwery that tends to happen at their stadium. Benfica, possibly in the next round if we beat Atalanta, would be tough as well. If I had my choice, I'd love to play Leverkusen since Xabi is the main target FSG are said to be after for Klopp's replacement. Just trying to enjoy these last 2+ months of Jurgen. In a positive development, Michael Edwards is returning.
my buddy that is a huge Liverpool fan said it's going to be Liverpool v Leverkusen in the finals and Klopp is going to pass the torch after ruining their "invincible" season in the final lol I can see it

my buddy that is a huge Liverpool fan said it's going to be Liverpool v Leverkusen in the finals and Klopp is going to pass the torch after ruining their "invincible" season in the final lol I can see it
I think anyone replacing Klopp is in for a tough time due to the standard he set. I'm not 100% sold on Xabi but his club has been impressive this year and the parallels are there. And if it keeps him from Bayern Munich, that's a bonus. It's annoying that Bayern tends to just get what they want from the other Bundesliga clubs. The other target I've read about is Ruben Amorim at Sporting CP. I have friends who actually prefer him to Xabi due to youth talent development, something LFC will need going forward.

I think anyone replacing Klopp is in for a tough time due to the standard he set. I'm not 100% sold on Xabi but his club has been impressive this year and the parallels are there. And if it keeps him from Bayern Munich, that's a bonus. It's annoying that Bayern tends to just get what they want from the other Bundesliga clubs. The other target I've read about is Ruben Amorim at Sporting CP. I have friends who actually prefer him to Xabi due to youth talent development, something LFC will need going forward.

The press here are saying that Alonso is really cautious about Liverpool at this stage of his career. Doesn’t want to wreck his career going in to do the impossible job after Klopp. If he leaves Leverkusen they have him more likely to be at Bayern this time, which is to be fair another former club of his.

Last edited:
My local MLS side (New England), by the rules of the tournament, should have hosted the second leg of the CONCACAF Champions Cup (our UCL) but due to a trade expo behind held on the day of and a monster truck event a few days after, we swapped legs and thus gave up home field advantage. Also will be playing our home leg at 9 pm on a Tuesday.

Shit like the referee lockout and this (and being priced out of games now) makes supporting MLS feel more and more like a chore.

Back