It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Hahahaha! That was one frustrating game to watch!

The FA is the football association. It is in charge of governance and the running of the national team. The FA Cup is it’s your same thing.

The football league used to run all league football in England. The also organise the League Cup. In 1992 the top tier broke away, unhappy with the amount of revenue being generated and with the share of it that went to them as the more prestigious and glamorous clubs that generated the most interest. They formed the Premier League.

The Premier League is an organisation that runs the top domestic league in the country. It is a membership owned organisation with each competing club owning one ordinary share.

The intention would be that as the governing body of the sport the FA is over the Premier League as an organisation. The reality is that the mind boggling money involved in the Premier League means that one of English footballs biggest issues is that the tail is really wagging the dog in that relationship.
So how does the EFL play into all of this? What is their domain/realm of governance?

And if a team wins both the Caribou cup and one of the four spots, who gets the championship spot?

So how does the EFL play into all of this? What is their domain/realm of governance?

And if a team wins both the Caribou cup and one of the four spots, who gets the championship spot?

The EFL is some daft new name for the Football League thought up by some silly little marketing person.

If you win a cup competition and finish in the top 4 you qualify for the most important European completion which is the Champions League from finishing in the top 4. The Europa League position gets passed to the loosing finalist. If they have already qualified for Europe it then passes to the highest league team who haven’t already qualified for Europe.

The EFL is some daft new name for the Football League thought up by some silly little marketing person.

If you win a cup competition and finish in the top 4 you qualify for the most important European completion which is the Champions League from finishing in the top 4. The Europa League position gets passed to the loosing finalist. If they have already qualified for Europe it then passes to the highest league team who haven’t already qualified for Europe.
Ahhh okay. Makes more sense now. So EFL and FA are the same organization but sometimes they say EFL and sometimes they say FA. I need to lodge a complaint with your Ministry of Logic and Common Sense.

Ahhh okay. Makes more sense now. So EFL and FA are the same organization but sometimes they say EFL and sometimes they say FA. I need to lodge a complaint with your Ministry of Logic and Common Sense.

No

The FA are the governing body and run the national teams and the FA Cup.

The Premier League run the top league after a breakaway from the Football League in 1992.

The football league (EFL) run levels 2 to 4 professional and the League (EFL) cup that’s currently sponsored by Carabao.

No

The Premier League run the top league after a breakaway from the Football League in 1992.

The football league run levels 2 to 4 professional and the League (EFL) cup that’s currently sponsored by Carabao.
And the winner of the FA cup, the EFL ( currently Carabao) cup and the top four winners of the Premier League all go to international competition.

And the winner of the FA cup, the EFL ( currently Carabao) cup and the top four winners of the Premier League all go to international competition.

Yes top 4 in the Premier League go to Champions League.
The league has an additional place in the second tier Europa League.
The winners of each of the cups gets a Europa League position also. If they’re already in Europe it passes to the runner up.
If the runner up is also already in Europe it passes to the highest placed Premier League not already in Europe.

No

The football league (EFL) run levels 2 to 4 professional and the League (EFL) cup that’s currently sponsored by Carabao.
So basically the EFL/football league governs the professional teams and the FA runs the national team and is the governing body in general.

So basically the EFL/football league governs the professional teams and the FA runs the national team and is the governing body in general.

For the bottom three tiers of the Professional game. The Championship to League Two. The Premier League is nothing to do with them since they broke away in 1992, it’s independent as the top tier.

The FA is indeed the governing body and is nominally above them both as well as running the national teams and the FA Cup.

For the bottom three tiers of the Professional game. The Championship to League Two. The Premier League is nothing to do with them since they broke away in 1992, it’s independent as the top tier.

The FA is indeed the governing body and is nominally above them both as well as running the national teams and the FA Cup.
But they still let the premier league compete in the EFL cup?

But they still let the premier league compete in the EFL cup?

It was actually a part of the settlement for the breakaway that the Premier League teams remained in it. To lose them would have reduced the appeal of the tournament to broadcasters/sponsors for the EFL and their teams. Also the two domestic cup competitions still have a 50/50 gate receipt split regardless of whom is at home. Drawing a Manchester United/Liverpool/Arsenal away and getting half a gate receipt for 76,000 and a guaranteed tv spot and payment can keep some of these smaller teams in League One or Two in the black for a season!

It was actually a part of the settlement for the breakaway that the Premier League teams remained in it. To lose them would have reduced the appeal of the tournament to broadcasters/sponsors for the EFL and their teams. Also the two domestic cup competitions still have a 50/50 gate receipt split regardless of whom is at home. Drawing a Manchester United/Liverpool/Arsenal away and getting half a gate receipt for 76,000 and a guaranteed tv spot and payment can keep some of these smaller teams in League One or Two in the black for a season!
Sorry I got pulled away by hungry children. I am cooking right now but I wanted to say thank you for answering all my questions.

Sorry I got pulled away by hungry children. I am cooking right now but I wanted to say thank you for answering all my questions.

No worries. I am encyclopaedia of useless knowledge. Especially when it comes to football. I read every book I could get my hands on about football history from ages 8-16. Has no real world application but I’m quite good at pub quizzes…

I understand the FA/EFL and it still doesn’t quite make sense. It’s confusing.

From what I recall it was to do with the FA initially being a quite antiquarian southern based organisation that believed in the values of amateur sport, which was largely the preserve of the upper classes.

The FA is the inaugural world football association that came out of the first codification of the rules of football at Cambridge University in the mid part of the 19th century.

The football league originally grew out of an increasing drive towards professionalism from the clubs in the industrial economies in the North of the country. These were largely comprised of working class men and owned or run by industrial companies or industrialist. To go professional they needed leagues, the FA Cup alone couldn’t provide surety of fixtures given it’s a straight knock out, and need to form their own structures to do so.

Also gotta say it’s less confusing than the NFL and AFL which seems to involve a break away but them also now being the same thing but not the same thing. So weird.

From what I recall it was to do with the FA initially being a quite antiquarian southern based organisation that believed in the values of amateur sport, which was largely the preserve of the upper classes.

The FA is the inaugural world football association that came out of the first codification of the rules of football at Cambridge University in the mid part of the 19th century.

The football league originally grew out of an increasing drive towards professionalism from the clubs in the industrial economies in the North of the country. These were largely comprised of working class men and owned or run by industrial companies or industrialist. To go professional they needed leagues, the FA Cup alone couldn’t provide surety of fixtures given it’s a straight knock out, and need to form their own structures to do so.

Also gotta say it’s less confusing than the NFL and AFL which seems to involve a break away but them also now being the same thing but not the same thing. So weird.
To paraphrase my husband:
The NFL didn’t want to expand the initial number of teams so a few guys that did want to expand the league, created a rival league, the AFL. These teams were so popular that the NFL decided, if you can’t beat ‘em , let them join you. So the NFL and AFL merged and created the NFC conference which is the old NFL teams and the AFC conference which is the old AFL teams. The NFC and the AFC each play for their own championships and then the winners of each championship game meet in the Super Bowl.

To paraphrase my husband:
The NFL didn’t want to expand the initial number of teams so a few guys that did want to expand the league, created a rival league, the AFL. These teams were so popular that the NFL decided, if you can’t beat ‘em , let them join you. So the NFL and AFL merged and created the NFC conference which is the old NFL teams and the AFC conference which is the old AFL teams. The NFC and the AFC each play for their own championships and then the winners of each championship game meet in the Super Bowl.
Baseball was the exact same way in the MLB. Lines are way more crossed now with tons of inter league play. But it used to be only the WS where they’d meet.

Back