It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Spurs have issues at every level. I know there's a lot of talk about Nuno as there should be. But it's the players, it's Nuno and it's Levy and the board.
A little from column A, a little from column B. Nuno gone would solve some of the issues. I'd take Ryan Mason back at this point. At least he encouraged the team to attack.

Last edited:
Yeah, but who are going the Spurs to get to take Nuno's spot? It took forever to get Nuno and he was reportedly like the 7th choice. The game on Thursday showed a really weak second team.

Also Spurs need more people they can count on to score. Another striker is needed behind Kane.

Yeah, but who are going the Spurs to get to take Nuno's spot? It took forever to get Nuno and he was reportedly like the 7th choice. The game on Thursday showed a really weak second team.

Also Spurs need more people they can count on to score. Another striker is needed behind Kane.
They ended up with Nuno because he was unemployed and cheap. Levy and co will need to pony up and steal someone from another team or go after a big name like Conte/Valverde/Gallardo. The most realistic option would be sack Nuno, give it to Mason until January and get Gallardo from River Plate since their season ends at the end of the year.

Going into the season without another senior striker behind a wantaway Kane was madness. There were strikers out there for the taking, Daka, Edouard, paying up for Vlahovic, Martinez, etc. Spurs were just cheap because Kane always wants to play every single game. He has no competition so there's no one applying pressure when he underperforms.

They ended up with Nuno because he was unemployed and cheap. Levy and co will need to pony up and steal someone from another team or go after a big name like Conte/Valverde/Gallardo. The most realistic option would be sack Nuno, give it to Mason until January and get Gallardo from River Plate since their season ends at the end of the year.

Going into the season without another senior striker behind a wantaway Kane was madness. There were strikers out there for the taking, Daka, Edouard, paying up for Vlahovic, Martinez, etc. Spurs were just cheap because Kane always wants to play every single game. He has no competition so there's no one applying pressure when he underperforms.

Conte won’t go to Spurs! He’ll go to a team with big players or big budgets where he can challenge quickly. He sees Klopp/Pep etc as his equals and won’t want to be scrabbling around trying to build a club first. Valverde had never managed outside of Spain and has never really challenged. And taking a manager from South America, with a much slower more technical football and throwing them straight into the frenetic Premier League is absolutely insane.

Nuno is where you are right now, I don’t see how you do better right now and how you can write off a manager this quickly!

Conte won’t go to Spurs! He’ll go to a team with big players or big budgets where he can challenge quickly. He sees Klopp/Pep etc as his equals and won’t want to be scrabbling around trying to build a club first. Valverde had never managed outside of Spain and has never really challenged. And taking a manager from South America, with a much slower more technical football and throwing them straight into the frenetic Premier League is absolutely insane.

Nuno is where you are right now, I don’t see how you do better right now and how you can write off a manager this quickly!
If Spurs pay enough money to any of these free agents they'll work. It's why Ancelotti/Koeman went to Everton, why Ranieri keeps getting gigs every year. It's just, Spurs are cheap and they don't want to hire someone of a higher caliber right now. Pochettino was a gamble, he did well with Southampton, but there were doubts he could do it at a higher level. Gallardo or another manager like the guy in charge of Club Brugge is always going to be a gamble. It may not work but Spurs historically buy potential. These managers have potential.

Nuno is shit. We've been over this. He does not utilize the attacking players at Spurs to their potential, he has no tactics but to keep possession, pass it around a bit and hope for some individual brilliance. There's no plan. Chance creation is non-existent. We can, absolutely, be doing better right now. Same can be said for United. United have a very good squad, they should be doing better than they are. Very similar situations.

If Spurs pay enough money to any of these free agents they'll work. It's why Ancelotti/Koeman went to Everton, why Ranieri keeps getting gigs every year. It's just, Spurs are cheap and they don't want to hire someone of a higher caliber right now. Pochettino was a gamble, he did well with Southampton, but there were doubts he could do it at a higher level.

Nuno is shit. We've been over this. He does not utilize the attacking players at Spurs to their potential, he has no tactics but to keep possession, pass it around a bit and hope for some individual brilliance. There's no plan. Chance creation is non-existent. We can, absolutely, be doing better right now. Same can be said for United. United have a very good squad, they should be doing better than they are. Very similar situations.

Pochettino had a degree of success in England though. It was a gamble but the big gamble was by Southampton who have more of a capacity to take that. He’d proven his tactics and methods worked in the Premier League. It was also less of a gamble because you didn’t have the big stadium and hadn’t been spending the money you now did. No one was expecting Spurs to be regularly in the Champions League, never mind challenging for titles, before him.

Carlo and Rafa were different situations. You could have got both of those too. They’re coaches with great CVs off the back of a couple of less salubrious spells. They are/were rehabilitating themselves. It’s why you could get Jose too. Conte is not going to a project off the back of almost instant titles in his last 3 or 4 jobs. He’s going where he’s going to challenge or fail having spent huge money. That’s not spurs.

Also the difference between our clubs is nearly 3 years. Ole has been, rightly, given time to buy players and build a squad. I’ll never call for a mangers head, especially a legend, but if he went you can’t lament that he wasn’t given time. To even claim that you know what Nuno’s plan is this soon, never mind that he hasn’t implemented it, is just nuts, especially with a team that has been on the slide since you didn’t support and then sacked the best manager you’d had since Bill Nicholson in the 60s.

Also with the exception of the petro-dollar fueled Chelsea what English club has won things or done well with a constant managerial churn?

Pochettino had a degree of success in England though. It was a gamble but the big gamble was by Southampton who have more of a capacity to take that. He’d proven his tactics and methods worked in the Premier League. It was also less of a gamble because you didn’t have the big stadium and hadn’t been spending the money you now did. No one was expecting Spurs to be regularly in the Champions League, never mind challenging for titles, before him.

Carlo and Rafa were different situations. You could have got both of those too. They’re coaches with great CVs off the back of a couple of less salubrious spells. They are/were rehabilitating themselves. It’s why you could get Jose too. Conte is not going to a project off the back of almost instant titles in his last 3 or 4 jobs. He’s going where he’s going to challenge or fail having spent huge money. That’s not spurs.

Also the difference between our clubs is nearly 3 years. Ole has been, rightly, given time to buy players and build a squad. I’ll never call for a mangers head, especially a legend, but if he went you can’t lament that he wasn’t given time. To even claim that you know what Nuno’s plan is this soon, never mind that he hasn’t implemented it, is just nuts, especially with a team that has been on the slide since you didn’t support and then sacked the best manager you’d had since Bill Nicholson in the 60s.

Also with the exception of the petro-dollar fueled Chelsea what English club has won things or done well with a constant managerial churn?
Every Spurs fan watching Spurs can see there are no plans. He doesn't sub until the very end of games or not at all. He's not shouting tactics to players, doesn't look engaged at all, doesn't speak to his players about what their roles are, just selects the team sheet. That's why players like Dele, Winks, Doherty etc are all looking for an out. There are no moments in games where we can see what he wants to do, what his plans are for this team. With Poch, Ole, etc other managers who may not be getting good results they had ideas they wanted to implement. I have absolutely no idea what Nuno wants to do. He no longer low-blocks and counters, the game plan is non-existent and tactics are a mystery. That is the reason why Spurs fans are asking for his head now. We want to stop this shit football from happening now before it gets worse. This is what the team is and what it will be. Stop the bleeding NOW and get in someone who will play attacking football with some kind of plan. Nuno has none.

Every Spurs fan watching Spurs can see there are no plans. He doesn't sub until the very end of games or not at all. He's not shouting tactics to players, doesn't look engaged at all, doesn't speak to his players about what their roles are, just selects the team sheet. That's why players like Dele, Winks, Doherty etc are all looking for an out. There are no moments in games where we can see what he wants to do, what his plans are for this team. With Poch, Ole, etc other managers who may not be getting good results they had ideas they wanted to implement. I have absolutely no idea what Nuno wants to do. He no longer low-blocks and counters, the game plan is non-existent and tactics are a mystery. That is the reason why Spurs fans are asking for his head now. We want to stop this shit football from happening now before it gets worse. This is what the team is and what it will be. Stop the bleeding NOW and get in someone who will play attacking football with some kind of plan. Nuno has none.

Yeah I mean we are never going to agree that a manager should be sacked this soon or that you can even begin to judge them. Alli needs out of spurs full stop. He’s been stagnating for 4 years now, he needs either a huge kick up the arse or a new challenge, I’m not sure which. Doherty and Winks are squad players, it’s kind of inconsequential what they want.

Journalists thinking that they are football coaches and tacticians is also one of the more depressing modern trends.

Yeah I mean we are never going to agree that a manager should be sacked this soon or that you can even begin to judge them. Alli needs out of spurs full stop. He’s been stagnating for 4 years now, he needs either a huge kick up the arse or a new challenge, I’m not sure which. Doherty and Winks are squad players, it’s kind of inconsequential what they want.

Journalists thinking that they are football coaches and tacticians is also one of the more depressing modern trends.
We're going to have to agree to disagree here because I don't know what to tell you

Some wild results today! Good for Palace!!! Great win

dumb moves this week. left gallagher on my bench and took a -4 on transferring ronaldo out... imma idiot

Woah! Kane really does not give two fucks anymore. And with their best player as a passenger that spurs team really is devoid of any real quality.

if they did really pass on 122mil they've got to be regretting it and will be regretting it more in Jan when no one offers them that much

dumb moves this week. left gallagher on my bench and took a -4 on transferring ronaldo out... imma idiot

if they did really pass on 122mil they've got to be regretting it and will be regretting it more in Jan when no one offers them that much

I kinda get why they didn’t too. £120m also doesn’t buy you another Harry Kane. They were having a drop off in quality regardless and maybe once he’d got over his tantrum he might try even if just to keep sharp for England or to keep his stock high for a move. The last few weeks show him in a real bad light. You’d wonder if Pep might think twice now that attitude has been revealed as s counterpoint to the previous perception of a very dedicated Uber professional.

I have 14 point Lowton on the bench and -3 Laporte on the pitch, it’s a funky old game!

Trying to catch up after a week off. Was watching the Morning shows from last week and the Fan Fest activities. I can’t believe Rebecca talked to a horse. Tim Howard has to have the whitest teeth on the planet. He’s also bigger than I thought as he stood next to Sheamus. I was actually in California but attending was not an option. Did anyone happen to see the chap who won the VIP package to see Man U? I’m sure he was nervous to be on TV but he sure the hell could have been more excited…haha.

Back