It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Poor Nuno. A good man and a good manager lost his job before he even got his feet under the table. Hopefully he gets a better run club where his best player isn’t a petulant child next time out, he did a fantastic job at wolves.

Let’s see how many managers turn down spurs this time around.

Poor Nuno. A good man and a good manager lost his job before he even got his feet under the table. Hopefully he gets a better run club where his best player isn’t a petulant child next time out, he did a fantastic job at wolves.

Let’s see how many managers turn down spurs this time around.
b76a9acacc1e19308edb61b9701f630e.jpg
skysports-tottenham-graphic_5565455.jpg

Nuno is a very nice man from what I have seen, but he was NEVER the right fit for the club. Don't care if it's not enough time. The football was beyond shit.

b76a9acacc1e19308edb61b9701f630e.jpg
skysports-tottenham-graphic_5565455.jpg

Nuno is a very nice man from what I have seen, but he was NEVER the right fit for the club. Don't care if it's not enough time. The football was beyond shit.

Yeah no one has a team playing that quickly. You have to get it solid then build forward. Also you need quality and also your quality to give two shits.

Judging a manger that quickly is an insanity that I’m never ever going to buy into. It’s from the outside a toxic club with a toxic chairman, I wouldn’t touch it if I had a bigger reputation, it will be another Nuno sized manager again.

Yeah no one has a team playing that quickly
Ole, Tuchel, Flick all seemed to do a significantly better job than their predecessors in each of their roles. Almost all right off the bat as well. Jose, Lampard, Kovac, just to name the first 3 I can think of.
Judging a manger that quickly is an insanity that I’m never ever going to buy into
I guess that's where we differ. The football was shit. It was not going to get better. Keep Nuno at the club for the whole season and we finish 15th. Not even an exaggeration. An in-form Kane was not going to change how bad it was. For all we know maybe Kane is not doing as poorly but it's Nuno's "attacking patterns" or non-existent attacking plans that are not helping. Kane seems to be doing fine for England.
Not an expert but it looks like the Harry Kane saga has definitely soured things at Tottenham making the Mgr job doubly hard
Gonna need some big boots to sort that team out
It has not helped. Should have sold him in the summer. Tbf, Kane really bought into Jose's whole "be a man" schtick. Conte is a big enough personality with record of winning that he could get him firing again. Nuno, as nice as he was, just didn't exude confidence and seemed out of his depth.

I guess that's where we differ. The football was shit. It was not going to get better. Keep Nuno at the club for the whole season and we finish 15th. Not even an exaggeration. An in-form Kane was not going to change how bad it was. For all we know maybe Kane is not doing as poorly but it's Nuno's "attacking patterns" or non-existent attacking plans that are not helping. Kane seems to be doing fine for England.

It has not helped. Should have sold him in the summer. Tbf, Kane really bought into Jose's whole "be a man" schtick. Conte is a big enough personality with record of winning that he could get him firing again. Nuno, as nice as he was, just didn't exude confidence and seemed out of his depth.

If you can convince Conte, and that’s a huge if, that he will have the financial backing and opportunity to win things and that the squad isn’t the messy remains of a team Poch wanted to refresh 4 years ago, him and Levy is the kind of powder keg that is going to make utterly compelling watching from the outside.

We have already established that we’re never going to agree on snap judgments on managers so there’s no point in rehashing it.

If you can convince Conte, and that’s a huge if, that he will have the financial backing and opportunity to win things and that the squad isn’t the messy remains of a team Poch wanted to refresh 4 years ago, him and Levy is the kind of powder keg that is going to make utterly compelling watching from the outside.

We have already established that we’re never going to agree on snap judgments on managers so there’s no point in rehashing it.
If Conte comes that would be great. But, the main thing that needed to happen was Nuno being sacked. I don't know how you could watch the game on Saturday and not think Spurs were anything but woeful. We consistently play horrible. Put the groundskeeper in charge on the touchline and we'd probably be doing better. There's loads of variables as to why Spurs are in this predicament, and maybe Nuno is wrongly at the center of it when it's not entirely his fault, but he had to go. It's easier to make the manager change because nothing can be done with these players until January and Levy and co. don't seem to be selling anytime soon.

If Conte comes that would be great. But, the main thing that needed to happen was Nuno being sacked. I don't know how you could watch the game on Saturday and not think Spurs were anything but woeful. We consistently play horrible. Put the groundskeeper in charge on the touchline and we'd probably be doing better. There's loads of variables as to why Spurs are in this predicament, and maybe Nuno is wrongly at the center of it when it's not entirely his fault, but he had to go. It's easier to make the manager change because nothing can be done with these players until January and Levy and co. don't seem to be selling anytime soon.

I saw a team with no out ball. Lo Celso over 3 managers looks like an average youth prospect, not an expensive midfielder and the two forwards Kane was not interested in the slightest and Son is still full of industry but looks less effective for the lack of an interested in form Kane as a partner. It put a lot of pressure on a deep midfield and defence that I’ll be honest and say I’ve never rated. Vertonghan and Alderwederwald (sorry spelling gods) were top class but when they went over the hill they’ve been replaced by their lower quality stand ins rather than similar quality.

With your defenders I actually get why you’d play defensive, I can’t see that changing unless you start playing silly high scoring football in which you’re just as likely to lose.

I saw a team with no out ball. Lo Celso over 3 managers looks like an average youth prospect, not an expensive midfielder and the two forwards Kane was not interested in the slightest and Son is still full of industry but looks less effective for the lack of an interested in form Kane as a partner. It put a lot of pressure on a deep midfield and defence that I’ll be honest and say I’ve never rated. Vertonghan and Alderwederwald (sorry spelling gods) were top class but when they went over the hill they’ve been replaced by their lower quality stand ins rather than similar quality.

With your defenders I actually get why you’d play defensive, I can’t see that changing unless you start playing silly high scoring football in which you’re just as likely to lose.
Romero looks to be quality but he's not being helped by anyone else in the backline. Maybe a better manager can get something out of the rest. I don't think any player at the club has seen some constructive coaching since 2018. Poch was going through the motions in 2019, Jose just laid out a low-block and counter, told the team to avoid having the ball and Nuno seemed to just run training. Lo Celso has not been impressive, but I don't want to completely give up on him when he looks good with Argentina. The club has been pulled in 3 different directions over the past 3 years and here comes a 4th with a new manager. Will it work? will they still be shit? Probably. Maybe Gattuso would have been a good fit

sometimes-maybe-good-sometimes-maybe-bad.gif

the messy remains of a team Poch wanted to refresh 4 years ago

This 👆👆👆👆👆👆👆

I think they thought hey we're opening this new fancy-ass stadium, we're going to be one of the big boys, we need to bring in JM and make a splash...

Ownership have been focused on the wrong shit and that likely has something to do with why Kane wants out. I don't think Kane hasn't been phoning it in because of Nuno he's been phoning it in because of the club.

There is a framework there to build something truly competitive but not with Kane and a midfield completely in need of a refresh.

It seems like Spurs fans are blaming the wrong thing here and are dreaming of a scenario where they bring in the "right" person and Kane stays and is the Kane of old. I don't see that happening. Whatever they do here it's a rebuild. Win now or next year even isn't an option.

On a brighter note Leeds barely made it out of Norwich with a win so you know... at least Spurs fans aren't in that situation 🤣

Romero looks to be quality but he's not being helped by anyone else in the backline. Maybe a better manager can get something out of the rest. I don't think any player at the club has seen some constructive coaching since 2018. Poch was going through the motions in 2019, Jose just laid out a low-block and counter, told the team to avoid having the ball and Nuno seemed to just run training. Lo Celso has not been impressive, but I don't want to completely give up on him when he looks good with Argentina. The club has been pulled in 3 different directions over the past 3 years and here comes a 4th with a new manager. Will it work? will they still be shit? Probably. Maybe Gattuso would have been a good fit

sometimes-maybe-good-sometimes-maybe-bad.gif

Romero looks like a competitor, reminds me a bit of Ayala but as much as I like those little warrior Argentine defenders I’ve always worried about them as centre halves in England. He seems a little short for me. It’s kinda like Heinz always being a full back in England and never moving centrally like he could and did on the continent. Dier/Sanchez etc are second choices in a successful team. The midfield lacks guile too, plenty of holders but in terms of clever passing and guile I don’t see it. Add that to Kane and the effect that’s having on the games of the other forwards then it’s not a happy camp. There is quality there but there needs to be a reset and a rebuild around the quality that wants to remain.

On a brighter note Leeds barely made it out of Norwich with a win so you know... at least Spurs fans aren't in that situation 🤣

A win is a win when you’re in a sticky patch. I still think Leeds will be fine when their better players are back fit and they are fun to watch. Raphina is an absolute superstar too!

It seems like Spurs fans are blaming the wrong thing here and are dreaming of a scenario where they bring in the "right" person and Kane stays and is the Kane of old. I don't see that happening. Whatever they do here it's a rebuild. Win now or next year even isn't an option.
YUP. I think the rebuild needs to happen, but these players should be playing better than they have.

I think Spurs suffer from a win now mentality. Like, if they won the CL or maybe an FA or EFL cup there'd be some more allowance of time with the squad. Like Leicester winning the league, being shit for 2 seasons coming back strong and later winning the FA cup. Their fans are probably very happy with how things are going even with the poor start they've had this season. Arsenal win things consistently and have a strong recent history as well. They are squarely in a rebuild with a young core group of players. Spurs fans' expectations are all over the place. Son, Kane, Lloris don't have several years to go through a rebuild so there's added pressure for the team to perform now. So that's why Conte or Jose were chosen. Just throw some tape on the problem and see if that fixes it because I don't want to deal with the rot right now. That's basically Spurs over the past 3 seasons.

1635774900630.png

Last edited:
A win is a win when you’re in a sticky patch. I still think Leeds will be fine when their better players are back fit and they are fun to watch. Raphina is an absolute superstar too!

Don't get me wrong. I think they'll stay up, but the lack of improvement from last year is worrying. The injuries have been a problem and the lack of depth is a problem... and the passing... and the lack of communication on the pitch.. and the over-reliance on Phillips... and and and... some of that has gotten better the past few matches. Some of it just will be, but they were still very sloppy and Norwich played well.

Other teams are coming after Raphinha and it may be hard to say no and I could see him wanting out especially if they don't improve over the next 6 months. Not unlike Son tho he's better with a better striker up front . Rodrigo isn't in the right places at the right time and Bamford is more of a threat.

I still would rather watch Norwich -Leeds than top 3 matches most of the time despite the difference in talent.

Just want to give Palace and Viera a shout-out. They're clearly building something good. Eze will be back soon so they should have an even more interesting attack and if they can get a little stouter at the back look out. City had a bad game. Debruyne still doesn't look good and Zaha really got under their skin, as he does.

but these players should be playing better than they have.

No doubt about it

YUP. I think the rebuild needs to happen, but these players should be playing better than they have.

I think Spurs suffer from a win now mentality. Like, if they won the CL or maybe an FA or EFL cup there'd be some more allowance of time with the squad. Like Leicester winning the league, being shit for 2 seasons coming back strong and later winning the FA cup. Their fans are probably very happy with how things are going even with the poor start they've had this season. Arsenal win things consistently and have a strong recent history as well. They are squarely in a rebuild with a young core group of players. Spurs fans' expectations are all over the place. Son, Kane, Lloris don't have several years to go through a rebuild so there's added pressure for the team to perform now. So that's why Conte or Jose were chosen. Just throw some tape on the problem and see if that fixes it because I don't want to deal with the rot right now. That's basically Spurs over the past 3 seasons.

View attachment 116214

Yeah England is the one country where success just isn’t Guaranteed unlike with the continental giants in their league. Of the historic teams even united and Liverpool have had long barren league runs where they’ve been, at best, cup teams. Arsenal then are a burst team, win lots with a good teams that seem to be 15-16 years apart and Everton have won a lot but sadly not now for a long time!

Don't get me wrong. I think they'll stay up, but the lack of improvement from last year is worrying. The injuries have been a problem and the lack of depth is a problem... and the passing... and the lack of communication on the pitch.. and the over-reliance on Phillips... and and and... some of that has gotten better the past few matches. Some of it just will be, but they were still very sloppy and Norwich played well.

Other teams are coming after Raphinha and it may be hard to say no and I could see him wanting out especially if they don't improve over the next 6 months. Not unlike Son tho he's better with a better striker up front . Rodrigo isn't in the right places at the right time and Bamford is more of a threat.

I still would rather watch Norwich -Leeds than top 3 matches most of the time despite the difference in talent.

Just want to give Palace and Viera a shout-out. They're clearly building something good. Eze will be back soon so they should have an even more interesting attack and if they can get a little stouter at the back look out. City had a bad game. Debruyne still doesn't look good and Zaha really got under their skin, as he does.

No doubt about it

Yeah Vierra had taken the solid foundations and has expanded the play and added the kind of positive nastiness that he had in his own game. Also they’ve bought fantastically, Gallagher on loan is some coup and the defenders that they’ve bought in are excellent! Plus Zaha is his usually defence unsettling combination of angry man who could start a fight in a phone box and maverick quality!

Back