It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Translation: City don't want to buy me so now I'm trying to save face and come back to Spurs with my tail between my legs

Man City still in for him according to media reports.

Man City still in for him according to media reports.

I'm fine with that, he couldn't have handled this any more poorly and most Spurs fans want him gone. But City need to bid what he's worth. Grealish goes for 100m, means Kane is at least 150m. I'd accept a player swap including Laporte and/or Bernardo, but I don't see either agreeing to that move.

I'm fine with that, he couldn't have handled this any more poorly and most Spurs fans want him gone. But City need to bid what he's worth. Grealish goes for 100m, means Kane is at least 150m. I'd accept a player swap including Laporte and/or Bernardo, but I don't see either agreeing to that move.

I can’t see city considering Laporte either. It is pretty clear they want Bernardo Silva out, which I don’t understand at all, but you’re right it’s very unlikely he’d end up at Spurs.

In all honesty the reality of football is that this is pretty similar to Gerard in 2004, or Rooney a couple of times, if he goes on to score a tonne more goals for Spurs it’ll be forgotten, might mean there’s less love for him than say a Greaves, but results tend to sway fans pretty quickly.

I can’t see city considering Laporte either. It is pretty clear they want Bernardo Silva out, which I don’t understand at all, but you’re right it’s very unlikely he’d end up at Spurs.

In all honesty the reality of football is that this is pretty similar to Gerard in 2005 or Rooney a couple of times, if he goes on to score a tonne more goals for Spurs it’ll be forgotten, might mean there’s less love for him than say a Greaves, but results tend to sway fans pretty quickly.
It’ll be fascinating what happens. Also I don’t blame City if they don’t go for him. His ankles, age and going for a different striker who just needs to get on the end of stuff may be a better option. But the 150m price tag that Spurs are after makes sense from their perspective. It’s a tough situation.

Grealish is younger, though. Kane is already deep into his prime, while Grealish is only entering it. Even though Kane has been the better player, it doesn’t necessarily make it a no-brainer that he should cost more.

It’ll be fascinating what happens. Also I don’t blame City if they don’t go for him. His ankles, age and going for a different striker who just needs to get on the end of stuff may be a better option. But the 150m price tag that Spurs are after makes sense from their perspective. It’s a tough situation.

I’m going to be honest and say that I 100% believe that there was a gentlemen’s agreement that he could go for a fair price this year but as we all know Levy is absolutely not a gentlemen and is not to be trusted in negotiations unless it’s in writing!

£150m given his age is unrealistic given pandemic. When city, who with PSG are the only team who can go there this year, are saying it’s too rich it’s too rich. Grealish is probably £10m to £15m too high but I suppose his age, injury record and potential to improve it is worth paying the extra because of the release clause meaning it was quick and not messy.

Grealish is younger, though. Kane is already deep into his prime, while Grealish is only entering it. Even though Kane has been the better player, it doesn’t necessarily make it a no-brainer that he should cost more.
I’m going to be honest and say that I 100% believe that there was a gentlemen’s agreement that he could go for a fair price this year but as we all know Levy is absolutely not a gentlemen and is not to be trusted in negotiations unless it’s in writing!

£150m given his age is unrealistic given pandemic. When city, who with PSG are the only team who can go there this year, are saying it’s too rich it’s too rich. Grealish is probably £10m to £15m too high but I suppose his age, injury record and potential to improve it is worth paying the extra because of the release clause meaning it was quick and not messy.
that price is what he's worth to Spurs though. City do not want/need to spend that much on a striker. Like I said, I wouldn't go for Kane if I were them. All indications are that Spurs do not want to sell him but he can go for around that price.

the thing that makes no sense to me is that City bid 85+15 in bonuses earlier in the summer and Spurs rejected it. So, there is no other offer on the table. Kane has not put in a transfer request. For him to miss 5 days of training for no other reason that we know of makes Kane look like the bad guy. If there's some other agreement in place, gentlemen's agreement, whatever, we don't know. Kane has tarnished his reputation at the club for nothing (so far).

that price is what he's worth to Spurs though. City do not want/need to spend that much on a striker. Like I said, I wouldn't go for Kane if I were them. All indications are that Spurs do not want to sell him but he can go for around that price.

the thing that makes no sense to me is that City bid 85+15 in bonuses earlier in the summer and Spurs rejected it. So, there is no other offer on the table. Kane has not put in a transfer request. For him to miss 5 days of training for no other reason that we know of makes Kane look like the bad guy. If there's some other agreement in place, gentlemen's agreement, whatever, we don't know. Kane has tarnished his reputation at the club for nothing (so far).

I think it was frustration and to try and force Levy’s hand. Kane is a pretty stable kind of character so I imagine he’d have to be pretty pissed off and/or adamant to try and force the hand like this. I’m guessing the Grealish was the trigger for him to realise it was unlikely to happen.

PSG probably the only ones who can afford him. Of course, if he is feeling charitable and willing to play for a significant salary reduction then he is always welcome at Aberdeen.

My five a side team promised him weekly Asados and his own traveling Tango Orchestra. We did not hear from him

It’s one of my pet rants that the wife has to tolerate ...seem to be increasing as I get older ....

Don’t start me on the obligatory female panellist / pundit on every sport event ......
Kelly Cates (Dalglish) made our Euro coverage bearable here, the Euro studio commentator hires were dreadful.

Hoping Rebecca Lowe gets out of here Peacock contact now and gets hired for Qatar or else it's Kate Abdo I think.

PSG probably the only ones who can afford him. Of course, if he is feeling charitable and willing to play for a significant salary reduction then he is always welcome at Aberdeen.

He could come off the bench to give Ramirez a rest. Also, don’t know if he could cope with a damp Tuesday night away to St Mirren…
Nah, I reckon he fancies a cup treble with us (Scottish, League and Europa) and has heard all about Dundee Utd’s record against Barcelona and fancies pumping them rotten in a Tayside Derby (with the Dees for afters).

I think it was frustration and to try and force Levy’s hand. Kane is a pretty stable kind of character so I imagine he’d have to be pretty pissed off and/or adamant to try and force the hand like this. I’m guessing the Grealish was the trigger for him to realise it was unlikely to happen.
Probably. I think Kane should have a better agent than his brother because whatever they were trying to do has been a disaster for them if he has to now come back to the club. Hindsight probably wishes he didn’t sign a 6 year contract without a release clause.

Probably. I think Kane should have a better agent than his brother because whatever they were trying to do has been a disaster for them if he has to now come back to the club. Hindsight probably wishes he didn’t sign a 6 year contract without a release clause.

That last line is the key. To be honest with Levy as chairman I’d never sign beyond 3, gotta keep control because he’s going to hold you to the paper and isn’t going to honour anything verbal unless pinned down.

Back