It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

Tough group for them with the Matildas in there as well.
Yeah, was looking at some chatter online from fans and a few were like “we’ll just beat New Zealand and Australia and make it in 2nd.” And my immediate thought was “Well Australia are good too. If you get ripped apart by Sweden, Australia will be tough.” Would not be surprised to see them not make it out of the groups. I think the USWNT don’t play enough competitive matches and are used to playing teams they can coast through.

Yeah, was looking at some chatter online from fans and a few were like “we’ll just beat New Zealand and Australia and make it in 2nd.” And my immediate thought was “Well Australia are good too. If you get ripped apart by Sweden, Australia will be tough.” Would not be surprised to see them not make it out of the groups. I think the USWNT don’t play enough competitive matches and are used to playing teams they can coast through.
I watched about half of the "tune up" games and thought the team looked really rusty and out of sorts. BUT still assumed they would get it together... now they're running out of time.

To be fair, Vlatko is in a tough position (granted it's his job): a bunch of aging stars that are really hard to leave off the roster. I haven't fact checked this at all, but I'd guess they're (among) the oldest squad there?

I watched about half of the "tune up" games and thought the team looked really rusty and out of sorts. BUT still assumed they would get it together... now they're running out of time.

To be fair, Vlatko is in a tough position (granted it's his job): a bunch of aging stars that are really hard to leave off the roster. I haven't fact checked this at all, but I'd guess they're (among) the oldest squad there?
Yeah, all the best players are over 30. Heath, Press, Rapinoe, Morgan, Ertz, etc. @Teeeee can provide more insight, but I don’t know if there are many younger players being integrated into the squad, at least I haven’t seen anyone break into the lineup since Lavelle and Pugh (who’s not even at these games).

Reactions: mgp
Id be game too but I’d totally have a no huns rule and so with, I’m guessing, only 3 Celtic players I’m really going to have to figure out who is actually any good at the other 10 teams 😂
Mate of mine went with a no Old Firm rule last season and did ok so it's not a hiding to nothing. That Rangers defence were a points machine.
Can I pick Broony though, that's the question? Still feels weird seeing him in an Aberdeen strip...
Not only that, the picture of him in a Dons kit with a head of hair.

Great result for the Dons tonight, @Thackeraye - good chance of progress for them and Hibs which is good for Scottish football.

Looks like we’ll be playing Galatasaray unless they turn around the 5-1 first leg defeat to PSV. Unfortunately we may have to play both legs in a neutral venue with no fans in due to Turkey being on the red list. Galatasaray at a full McDiarmid park would be ridiculous!

Totally forgot to mention to the forum that Aberdeen had signed a few Americans. Christian “Superman” Ramirez anyone? And a guy called Jack Gurr.

Was really surprised with that result. With the lack of preseason I expected us to get a doing. The team looked decent. Need to see us in the league to get a better judgment on where we are.

And Broony managed not to half anyone or do anything daft!
He’ll have won a lot of people over with his performance tonight. We’ve been lacking someone like him for a long time.

JET was decent. Ramirez was decent. Ferguson was awesome but he’s probably away to the EPL soon…

Last edited:
Ties are played 5th and 12th Aug, think the 12th is the home leg.
Hopefully you get to play the tie at McDiarmid Park. Even if you get reduced capacity the atmosphere would still be decent.

We were only allowed 5600 in last night and they made a fair noise.

Back