It Could Get A Bit Messi In Here - The Football Thread.

All in all. Not gonna lie. Despite the eye rolls at the 24 team format. I loved it. Made for amazing upsets and a great tournament IMO

I like it because it’s great to have certain countries have a chance to qualify for a tournament since UEFA has expanded with the the communist break up and FIFA restricting Europe’s World Cup slots.

Can’t lie that the quality throughout the tournament has dropped since 2008 which was a real high water mark.

Agree, also overall pretty great refereeing. Have seen much worse in previous tournaments

Yeah the refereeing was mostly exceptional and the use of the VAR was very good, the PL has to take note because they’ve fucked that up. My only gripe was that at times there was too much of an eagerness to dip into the red card pocket.

Strange decision to bring on Sancho and Rashford at the very end for them to both miss. I have to think Henderson would have scored his, but it’s all moot discussion.

I mean he missed before the tournament and in Russia. Rashford is usually a banker and Sancho is a far more technical player. I’d have done the same thing.

Strange decision to bring on Sancho and Rashford at the very end for them to both miss. I have to think Henderson would have scored his, but it’s all moot discussion.
It was pretty expected that those guys would all take the penalties though. Rashford’s hurt the most for me…just shanked it with a wide open net.

I like it because it’s great to have certain countries have a chance to qualify for a tournament since UEFA has expanded with the the communist break up and FIFA restricting Europe’s World Cup slots.
Just read that there are plans for 32 teams in 28. That would get even more teams qualified but at least give a clear situation that the first 2 in every group qualify for the knockout stage

Just read that there are plans for 32 teams in 28. That would get even more teams qualified but at least give a clear situation that the first 2 in every group qualify for the knockout stage

It would but that’s more than half of UEFA in the bloody tournament! It stops smaller nations ever hosting and makes a mockery out of the qualifiers!

Although maybe with 32 you could afford to have multi country tournaments so 2/3/4 automatically in isn’t as much an issue. I’m thinking, for example a “Celtic Cup” with All Ireland/Wales/Scotland hosting or one across Scandinavia for example.

I’m hoping with the bigger World Cup that the British and Irish prospective bid for 2030 can get the go ahead. It’d be great to have a big tournament in Ireland!

Reactions: Jan
Congrats Italy. Probably the best team in the tournament.

Really harsh on England, great first half and penalties are such a rough way to decide a game. Feel so sorry for Saka, that’s heavy on a 19 year old.
Peer Mertesacker who is an in-studio commenter was just shaken by how hard it is on Sara to take the fifth shot and the kid is coming from his arsenal academy. He also said he is such a great guy and they'll work with him to come back from it and in the future win such games with England

Peer Mertesacker who is an in-studio commenter was just shaken by how hard it is on Sara to take the fifth shot and the kid is coming from his arsenal academy. He also said he is such a great guy and they'll work with him to come back from it and in the future win such games with England

Yeah totally. That’s kinda why I’m so gutted for Rashford. He’s been so exemplary in his actions and conduct during that pandemic that he doesn’t deserve that. I kinda hope he goes away and sorts out his injury problems rather than just heading straight back at it for the start of next year again.

After this tournament and the talent they have they'll be a contender for the world cup next year, but who knows what the situation is one and a half year from now

I think the last 2 tournaments could be like 06 and 08 were for you in Germany. England really has sorted out its youth system and for all the young talent that’s on the pitch there is more in the academies and on the verge of England to come. Greenwood is the biggest youth certainty, injury permitting, that I’ve seen come through at United since Giggs, Trent A-A is already seriously world class and there are more.

So, yeah. The game was on at 5am here. Was up at 4 with jet lag. Next thing I know I've just woken up at 1pm. Oh, well! Luckily, the game was streamed for free on youtube in Oz, so I was able to go back and speed watch.

Fair to say England as a team are probably where they should be; a semi and a final in their last 2 big tournaments. With the talent on hand they should have been at the pointy end of tournaments for decades, and this feels like their level. Strange choice of penalty takers though.

As a Scot, it's tradition to shit on the English football team. In reality, it's always the circus around it that does our head in. At most tournaments I'd decide that I'd be happy to cheer them on, then hear the pundits and the arrogance and the media and just get pissed off with the whole thing (and also, England strips are always class. Any other team and I'd happily wear them). It will be interesting to follow them from afar going forward.

In the cold light of morning ....

They were 20 minutes from immortality...scored a great goal, conceded a scrappy equaliser , keeper saved two great penalties and had Rashford got his in ...who knows ...

But I’d have taken reaching the final a month ago and once again we didn’t lose in normal play ...

Stupid penalties did us again ....

Back