Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

View attachment 198735
View attachment 198736

Didn’t realize it comes with a beautiful little external power supply.

I haven’t done an A-B against the Schiit, but it looks and sounds pretty freaking lovely, and has a nice quiet action. The knob is positionless and controls the attenuation level electrically. Gonna sit and listen for a while.
Very pretty, love the wood.

View attachment 198735
View attachment 198736

I haven’t done an A-B against the Schiit, but it looks and sounds pretty freaking lovely, and has a nice quiet action. The knob is positionless and controls the attenuation level electrically. Gonna sit and listen for a while.
That’s purrrtty. Congrats!

Posted this for a second before but noticed it was at the exact same time as Kvetcha posted about his sexy preamp arriving so wanted to let the thread breathe a little..

The Sourcepoint 8’s are in house! I’ve had a heck of a day with work so took time to unbox them, hook them up and snap a few pics.

Initial impressions are that they look better than I anticipated. I actually think they’re pretty attractive in a traditional boxy way. I love them grilles off, which I typically don’t enjoy.

The veneer finish is really nice.. kind of understated and muted maybe, but quality work on the seams, etc…

Used some hockey pucks to raise them 2” on the stands for now.

More to come…IMG_6340.jpegIMG_6339.jpegIMG_6337.jpegIMG_6335.jpeg

Posted this for a second before but noticed it was at the exact same time as Kvetcha posted about his sexy preamp arriving so wanted to let the thread breathe a little..

The Sourcepoint 8’s are in house! I’ve had a heck of a day with work so took time to unbox them, hook them up and snap a few pics.

Initial impressions are that they look better than I anticipated. I actually think they’re pretty attractive in a traditional boxy way. I love them grilles off, which I typically don’t enjoy.

The veneer finish is really nice.. kind of understated and muted maybe, but quality work on the seams, etc…

More to come…View attachment 198742View attachment 198743View attachment 198744View attachment 198745

Congrats!

They definitely look much better with the grills on compared to the promo pics with them off!

View attachment 198735
View attachment 198736

Nice! Thats a handsome beast! The knobs remind me of Copland gear and I’ve always liked how that stuff looks!

Last edited:

More to come…View attachment 198742View attachment 198743View attachment 198744View attachment 198745
I didn’t know the grills mirrored the sculpted baffle. That looks sharp!

I didn’t know the grills mirrored the sculpted baffle. That looks sharp!
The grilles are cool, both looking and in function. They are magnetized, which is an early +1 to the SP8 over the C7, which literally required special magnets to remove because it’s so ridiculously tight. My only gripe with the C7’s from a usage standpoint btw.

View attachment 198735
View attachment 198736

I’m not very familiar with passive preamps. Where in your chain does this sit? What do you have hooked up to it?

I got my tonearm back and my new Grado Timbre Reference 3 low output on. Now I have to take my son to Jiu Jitsu, before I can even spin 1 side. Oh well, something to look forward to.
View attachment 199278
Obviously early on, less than 3 hours, but my initial impressions are the Grado/VPI/Pass combo has really good synergy. I think I’ll tweak VTA a bit further, and some more break in is necessary, but I’m pretty darn impressed with the tonality of the Grado so far.

Although the tracking isn’t as unflappable as the Zu/Denon Dl-103, which sat like a piece of granite on any record even if it resembles a topographical map of the Rocky’s, it’s still good. The difference may be due to the VTF of 1.75 vs 2.5 for the Zu/Denon. The Grado hops on some of my warped vinyl like a motocross bike. That’s probably something else I’ll play with.

But the “soul” given with the Grado is damn impressive with Tom Waits, Bettye LaVette, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, Ray Lamontagne, etc.

So far, it’s really damn fun.

I’ll have to look at my Audiolab. I know it can be used just as a power amp only but off the top of my head don’t remember pre in or main ins on it.
Yeah, you would set the Audiolab to Pre-Power mode and then route the inputs from a passive preamp into the Power In jacks.

1712060910977.png

Back