Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

View attachment 198735
View attachment 198736

Didn’t realize it comes with a beautiful little external power supply.

I haven’t done an A-B against the Schiit, but it looks and sounds pretty freaking lovely, and has a nice quiet action. The knob is positionless and controls the attenuation level electrically. Gonna sit and listen for a while.
Last question 😬 Did you get the series, ladder or Shunt version?

This whole thing has made me think about passive preamps and to revisit this one that I was looking into ages ago. If I decided to go that way, and when I’m ready to, I’m maybe thinking this and then down the line perhaps it’s SUT twin.

So, what exactly is a passive preamp and what are the benefits to using one?
In my case, it's a source selector and remote volume control. It is 'passive' because it does not provide any additional gain to the signal. My tube amp does not have a remote and the source controls are a bit fiddly; the Khozmo allows me to bypass the KingKo's preamp stage and use it as a power amp only.

So, what exactly is a passive preamp and what are the benefits to using one?

It’s a preamplifier so it controls volume and does source selection ahead of a power amplifier. As it’s passive it controls the volume without using powered amplification, it will likely use either an attenuator or some transformers. Generally it doesn’t plug into the wall but if if it does the power is just for displays or lights, it won’t be in the single path.

Positives are that they are supposedly more transparent than powered options. The negatives were always that there was an idea that they were perhaps less dynamic but I’ve seen this challenged with more recent models.

It’s a preamplifier so it controls volume and does source selection ahead of a power amplifier. As it’s passive it controls the volume without using powered amplification, it will likely use either an attenuator or some transformers. Generally it doesn’t plug into the wall but if if it does the power is just for displays or lights, it won’t be in the single path.

Positives are that they are supposedly more transparent than powered options. The negatives were always that there was an idea that they were perhaps less dynamic but I’ve seen this challenged with more recent models.
Interesting. So if I wanted to eventually bypass all the digital processing in my amp for vinyl, this would be a possible solution. Like I’m assuming I plug it in the mains in and I could plug the pre in into a different input and have that for the rest of the setup up. Neato. (I’m probably not doing this and for sure not until like even cables are done)

Interesting. So if I wanted to eventually bypass all the digital processing in my amp for vinyl, this would be a possible solution. Like I’m assuming I plug it in the mains in and I could plug the pre in into a different input and have that for the rest of the setup up. Neato. (I’m probably not doing this and for sure not until like even cables are done)
OMG YES CABLLLLLLLLES

Potentially but it seems convoluted and good ones aren’t necessarily cheap. I think I’d probably put the money with a trade in towards an amp that suited the needs better at that time.

Placed an order for a Sutherland Insight today. This will be the last piece of my system overhaul. Might grab a cheap cart like a Nagaoka 110 or VM95ML or something but that's likely my hi-fi buying done for a while.
You’re in for a real treat. My Insight was the gateway to everything I’ve done. It was the first piece of equipment that blew me away. Have fun!

angsty's insight:
giphy.gif

Back