Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

I just ordered a Pass XP-17 to replace my Sutherland 20/20 in my basement system. I’ve always wanted a piece of Pass gear, and was thinking about the XP-15 or -17, and then The Music Room had one that appears pristine pop up in today.

Serendipity? A curse? Is there a difference?

I just ordered a Pass XP-17 to replace my Sutherland 20/20 in my basement system. I’ve always wanted a piece of Pass gear, and was thinking about the XP-15 or -17, and then The Music Room had one that appears pristine pop up in today.

Serendipity? A curse? Is there a difference?
Love my XP-15 which the XP-17 replaced. I think you’ll love it. I saw that one on TMR this morning. Enjoy and be sure to report back with pics and impressions!

I’m tempted to call them and make an offer on the HiFiRose RS250… looking to replace my Node and don’t need a DAC. I’m intrigued with those.
I was tempted, they have a great screen and aesthetic, but from what I’ve read their UI/software can be glitchy. Which was one of the reasons I was frustrated with my Auralic to begin with.

The Eversolo DMP-A6 is great and less costly.

See, I can be reasonable.

It was actually your XP-15 that got me thinking about a Pass phono pre. I’m glad to hear you love it.
At what point does a $1000+ Phono Pre start to seem reasonable?

I ask because over the past 18 months I’ve purchased a $2k Amp, $2.5K TT, $2.2K speakers, an $800 DAC and have a $700 phono pre on order. All things I never thought I’d do.

Do you ever catch the dragon?

Edit: I will admit every upgrade has been worth it and I have no regrets.

At what point does a $1000+ Phono Pre start to seem reasonable?

I ask because over the past 18 months I’ve purchased a $2k Amp, $2.5K TT, $2.2K speakers, an $800 DAC and have a $700 phono pre on order. All things I never thought I’d do.

Do you ever catch the dragon?

Edit: I will admit every upgrade has been worth it and I have no regrets.

That’s a tough one for me to answer as a lot of the variables are up to each individual.

Budget/cost wise those figures seem good. Other things to consider are if the phono you have has the adjustment/loading features you want/need for whatever cart your using. How often you listen to vinyl. What sound profile you’re looking for/find lacking in your gear, and if you find your phono to be a bottleneck for your system. What your budget/monetary pain threshold is. How long you are planning to keep any particular piece of gear. The amount of time you are willing to give (tubes and tube rolling for example can be a whole side hobby).

For me, I listen to music (streaming, cd and/or vinyl) daily, anywhere from 4 hours to probably 10 hours a day. I work from home most days and listen while I work, and stay up late every night. So, for me, the systems I have play an outsize role.

I have coworkers and friends that spend what I consider a Gawd-awful amount of money on golf, club memberships, vacations, cars, and one dammed fool who lives here in Denver and has two friggin boats. I figure audio is just like any other hobby, enjoy it, but don't spend on it if it’s at the cost of something important. A home, debt, college for your kids or paying off student loans, etc.

That’s not really an answer, I know, sorry.

That’s a tough one for me to answer as a lot of the variables are up to each individual.

Budget/cost wise those figures seem good. Other things to consider are if the phono you have has the adjustment/loading features you want/need for whatever cart your using. How often you listen to vinyl. What sound profile you’re looking for/find lacking in your gear, and if you find your phono to be a bottleneck for your system. What your budget/monetary pain threshold is. How long you are planning to keep any particular piece of gear. The amount of time you are willing to give (tubes and tube rolling for example can be a whole side hobby).

For me, I listen to music (streaming, cd and/or vinyl) daily, anywhere from 4 hours to probably 10 hours a day. I work from home most days and listen while I work, and stay up late every night. So, for me, the systems I have play an outsize role.

I have coworkers and friends that spend what I consider a Gawd-awful amount of money on golf, club memberships, vacations, cars, and one dammed fool who lives here in Denver and has two friggin boats. I figure audio is just like any other hobby, enjoy it, but don't spend on it if it’s at the cost of something important. A home, debt, college for your kids or paying off student loans, etc.

That’s not really an answer, I know, sorry.
That’s a great answer. I was half joking when I responded to you initially. I too listen to a lot of music. These last 5 years or so it’s been my therapy.

Am also at a point in my life where I’m fortunate to have some disposable income and my kids are grown and my wife actually encourages me to spend money on myself (within reason).

Phono Stages are the next step in my audio journey. Excited to see what lies beyond the $200 price point I’ve been at for a few years.

That’s a great answer. I was half joking when I responded to you initially. I too listen to a lot of music. These last 5 years or so it’s been my therapy.

Am also at a point in my life where I’m fortunate to have some disposable income and my kids are grown and my wife actually encourages me to spend money on myself (within reason).

Phono Stages are the next step in my audio journey. Excited to see what lies beyond the $200 price point I’ve been at for a few years.
What lies beyond? Much, much better sound!

Back