Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

Well I did one more thing. I’ve been wondering if I can get a performance boost by using a step up transformer and setting my Duos for MM. I’m currently running at 58dB gain. I’m thinking if I reduce the gain to 40dB, I’ll lose whatever noise comes along with the extra 18dB of gain. Also, if if I ever want to run MM, all I have to do is unplug them. No opening the Duos to change settings. Simple.

These are vintage early ‘80s Sony transformers. I like that they plug straight into the inputs on the phono stage. No extra RCA cables needed.

I did a lot of research and where I would have chosen 1:10 ratio, the research says I need 1:20 for my MCs, giving me 66 dB of gain. More than I’d normally do but the 26 db from the Sonys are totally passive, so no noise.

Also, the input on the Manley is passive, and there’s a big volume difference in the output of my phono stage and my DAC. This will fix that.

IMG_2965.jpeg

Well I did one more thing. I’ve been wondering if I can get a performance boost by using a step up transformer and setting my Duos for MM. I’m currently running at 58dB gain. I’m thinking if I reduce the gain to 40dB, I’ll lose whatever noise comes along with the extra 18dB of gain. Also, if if I ever want to run MM, all I have to do is unplug them. No opening the Duos to change settings. Simple.

These are vintage early ‘80s Sony transformers. I like that they plug straight into the inputs on the phono stage. No extra RCA cables needed.

I did a lot of research and where I would have chosen 1:10 ratio, the research says I need 1:20 for my MCs, giving me 66 dB of gain. More than I’d normally do but the 26 db from the Sonys are totally passive, so no noise.

Also, the input on the Manley is passive, and there’s a big volume difference in the output of my phono stage and my DAC. This will fix that.

View attachment 195236
I’d be very interested to hear how this turns out. The Duo is already an extraordinarily quiet phono for MC use, but I do see the convenience of the plug-in SUTs.

When I switched from the Insight to the Bryston, moving from MM to MC was just a flip of a toggle switch since the SUTs are built-in.

I’d be very interested to hear how this turns out. The Duo is already an extraordinarily quiet phono for MC use, but I do see the convenience of the plug-in SUTs.

When I switched from the Insight to the Bryston, moving from MM to MC was just a flip of a toggle switch since the SUTs are built-in.
One of the things I really like about my Gold Note, in addition to its two independently controlled phono inputs, is that all settings (MM/MC, gain, load, EQ curve) are controlled with a single knob on the front of the unit.

One of the things I really like about my Gold Note, in addition to its two independently controlled phono inputs, is that all settings (MM/MC, gain, load, EQ curve) are controlled with a single knob on the front of the unit.

Yeah mine are controlled by a few dip switches and a wheel on the front as well and it sure does make life easier. Also has 2 inputs, not that I need the second, provided that one is balanced.

A few days ago I made a post in the MoFi UD/SD thread asking about new carts since it's time to replace the UltraTracker on my StudioDeck...and well one thing led to another and yada yada yada...my new NAD C3050 with BluOS module will be delivered on Thursday! :LOL:
I know the feeling. A phono pre upgrade resulted in me buying an Ultradeck and a Phono Pre.

Looking for a new DAC I ended up with a new integrated amp and a new DAC and Streamer.

My upgrade itch is calm for now. Next target will be some high sensitivity speakers to pair with a Decware amp that I hope to receive before the end of 2024.

Anyone familiar with Omega speakers?

I’m returning the oc9xml to Amazon. The issue with the right channel not working properly is either the cartridge or my phono stage. I have no other way to test if it’s my phono stage, it functions fine in MM and my old cartridge and head shell worked except with the new cart. The new one will arrive tomorrow.

I don’t think any tube covers are pretty, even the Primalunas. However, here’s a more salacious pic for you:
View attachment 195343

Set the tubes free…

I agree, the PL does at least let you properly see the tubes. Eventually I’ll try out the monster power tubes and not be able to use my tube cover so it’ll go into the box.

Back