Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

Anyone read the Hyden book yet?

I just started it and am very much enjoying it. I loved his last books and often read his articles and reviews. It’s too short though, I can already tell that.

anyway here’s a passage that struck me and I honestly never thought about it before:

8A3B9172-1A4B-4DCF-8E76-A9167F57592A.jpeg

Is In Rainbows really the millennial choice for favorite Radiohead album? It’s my favorite personally and I am a millennial but I never thought about it in this way. When I got into Radiohead HTTT was a couple of years old. So IR was my first time experiencing a new Radiohead album release. I remember it so vividly and I just adore that era. The artwork, the t-shirts, the live stuff, the second disc...it’s all so great.

I just started it and am very much enjoying it. I loved his last books and often read his articles and reviews. It’s too short though, I can already tell that.

anyway here’s a passage that struck me and I honestly never thought about it before:

View attachment 69674

Is In Rainbows really the millennial choice for favorite Radiohead album? It’s my favorite personally and I am a millennial but I never thought about it in this way. When I got into Radiohead HTTT was a couple of years old. So IR was my first time experiencing a new Radiohead album release. I remember it so vividly and I just adore that era. The artwork, the t-shirts, the live stuff, the second disc...it’s all so great.

I think that’s a fair assessment. You just have to think of it as a trend rather than an absolute statement, though. That is: if you poll Gen-Xers about their favorite Radiohead album, on average fewer of them will say In Rainbows than if you ask the same question to Millennials.

Anecdotally, I remember talking about In Rainbows back in 2010 with a friend who is a few years older than me (I’m an older millennial, he’s a younger Gen-Xer). He had no idea that people actually cared about In Rainbows; 90s Radiohead is where it was at for him. Whereas I thought In Rainbows was easily comparable to The Bends and OKC as one of their towering achievements.

I think that’s a fair assessment. You just have to think of it as a trend rather than an absolute statement, though. That is: if you poll Gen-Xers about their favorite Radiohead album, on average fewer of them will say In Rainbows than if you ask the same question to Millennials.

Anecdotally, I remember talking about In Rainbows back in 2010 with a friend who is a few years older than me (I’m an older millennial, he’s a younger Gen-Xer). He had no idea that people actually cared about In Rainbows; 90s Radiohead is where it was at for him. Whereas I thought In Rainbows was easily comparable to The Bends and OKC as one of their towering achievements.

I am kinda just old enough to span both and I know so many friends back then that they lost completely as fans with Kid A, it really did completely alienate an entire portion of the fan base to whom The Bends was a foundational tome. This creates a kind of 3 way schism, those who came before Kid A and it alienated, those that came before Kid A and who continued to love them and the kids who came after Kid A and don’t remember them as a sort of epic rock n roll band that were tipped to be “the next U2” before U2 had become completely uncool, whilst still being mostly uncool.

This book is going on the birthday / Christmas list for sure.
I’m sure it’s this book, but can anyone recall any other book that was supposed to be coming out similar to this.

My brain feels like there was something else that I had heard about a while back. I think there was a an art book , but I feel there was another book about Radiohead or band. If anyone has insight to help my brain out it would appreciated LOL

I am kinda just old enough to span both and I know so many friends back then that they lost completely as fans with Kid A, it really did completely alienate an entire portion of the fan base to whom The Bends was a foundational tome. This creates a kind of 3 way schism, those who came before Kid A and it alienated, those that came before Kid A and who continued to love them and the kids who came after Kid A and don’t remember them as a sort of epic rock n roll band that were tipped to be “the next U2” before U2 had become completely uncool, whilst still being mostly uncool.
This is very accurate...knew quite a few who thought kid a/amnesiac were very depressing sounding...lost interest in them

I obviously was not turned away, but appreciated them more

Is Steven Hyden working on a U2 book or something? He likes to drop in some U2 knowledge when he can. The Ed chapters goes on a 4 page tangent about U2 (and I'm not even mad about it.)

I really got into Radiohead during OKC but I was really impressed with Kid A & Amnesiac. Although, I guess I would be an old millennial as opposed to gen x'er.

I'm an old millennial, but I got into Radiohead super young. I liked Creep but wasn't really buying albums when Pablo Honey came out. I got the Bends when I was 12, I think it had been out a year or so, and bought OK Computer the day it came out (in the US). It has taken a while, but In Rainbows is maybe my favorite album of theirs or at least tied with The Bends. I recognize that OKC and Kid A might be greater achievements, but The Bends is a perfect alt-rock album and every song could be a single. In Rainbows to me is just the perfect Radiohead album, they are so confident and relaxed on that record.

halfway thru the hyden book

as a fellow gen x-er (hyden has a couple of years on me, but our tastes are vaguely similar) i have gotta say he's such a terrifically emotive writer - it's that connectivity between subject matter, emotional attachment and detachment that he conveys so well

I hate lists and rankings bc I can justify things and over analyze things , however , I can say comfortably that my trilogy is OK, Kid, Amnesiac.

that’s not a commentary on any other other albums not being good or being bad at all.

for mine, ok computer > in rainbows > kid a > a moon shaped pool > the bends > amnesiac > hail to the thief > the king of limbs > pablo honey

what a band!
Seriously. When your “worst” album is a mid 90s staple (and honestly has a bunch of good tunes) that’s pretty wild.

For me In Rainbows>OK>Kid A>amnesiac>AMSP>the bends>HTTT>KOL>Pablo Honey

and I regularly listen to Pablo Honey and like it. That’s quite a catalog.

I feel my Radiohead favorites/ranking fluctuates a lot, but here's what I feel

In Rainbows > OK Computer > Kid A > Amnesiac > Hail To The Thief > A Moon Shaped Pool > The Bends > The King of Limbs > Pablo Honey

I am currently listening to all 9 albums on vinyl in order (finally doing this challenge for myself). So I just finished up The Bends, and although I may rank it low there's still no denying how enjoyable it is. I just like the other stuff more. It's like an expansion of PH, but like 100 times better on every level. Having just listened to Pablo Honey last night I realized that I just never gave it much attention. Like at all. There's some good straightforward rock songs on it, but as a whole it is still the most forgettable one. But it's not terrible or anything.

Also I am back in that mindset of really, really, really, really wanting that In Rainbows box set. Waiting to see one pop up somewhere for a decent price.

Is In Rainbows really the millennial choice for favorite Radiohead album?

I'm an old millennial, and Kid A came out during my last year of high school, and it's still my favorite. With how solid In Rainbows is, though, I can totally see how a lot of people just a few years younger than me have it as their favorite, especially if it came out right at that perfect time in their lives to find new music.

Last edited:
Back