Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

Xennial here - OK Computer came out at the exact midpoint of my high school years, and hooked me in. My anticipation for Kid A was sky high over those next few years, and I was definitely searching out and reading any bit of internet gossip I could find about it, so I guess was pretty much prepared for the left turn away from guitar-driven "rock". I don't remember if I necessarily loved it right away like I did with OKC, but it grew on me pretty quickly and soundtracked many late night study & homework sessions for the rest of my college years.

Xennial here - OK Computer came out at the exact midpoint of my high school years, and hooked me in. My anticipation for Kid A was sky high over those next few years, and I was definitely searching out and reading any bit of internet gossip I could find about it, so I guess was pretty much prepared for the left turn away from guitar-driven "rock". I don't remember if I necessarily loved it right away like I did with OKC, but it grew on me pretty quickly and soundtracked many late night study & homework sessions for the rest of my college years.

I’m probably a couple of years younger than you then. I got big into OK Computer when it came out, I was 14 in 1997. Loved it and worked backwards and loved The Bends too. I gotta admit that at 17 in 2000 it didn’t click right away. Well apart from The National Anthem and Idioteque, those two clicked right from the off.

Once it did click though, wow it’s a great album!

A big group of my mates just turned away from them though. Went to Glastonbury in 2003 to see them and one mate, who was the biggest Radiohead fan pre-Kid A, refused to go see them with us cuz of “the shit new dance music they do”

Last edited:
I'm an old millennial, and Kid A came out during my last year of high school, and it's still my favorite. With how solid In Rainbows is, though, I can totally see how a lot of people just a few years younger than me have it as their favorite, especially if it came out right at that perfect time in their lives to find new
I bought OK Computer on CD just before my first orientation visit to college. It was the first time away from home where I had this total freedom, and getting a peek at my life for the next four years. I remember wandering the campus with my discman to the album. It’s always going to have a special place for me, even though I find myself gravitating to IR more in middle age.

I’m probably a couple of years younger than you then. I got big into OK Computer when it came out, I was 14 in 1997. Loved it and worked backwards and loved The Bends too. I gotta admit that at 17 in 2000 it didn’t click right away. Well apart from The National Anthem and Idioteque, those two clicked right from the off.

Once it did click though, wow it’s a great album!

A big group of my mates just turned away from them though. Went to Glastonbury in 2003 to see them and one mate, who was the biggest Radiohead fan pre-Kid A, refused to go see them with us cuz of “the shit new dance music they do”

We're the same age then, but I was on the other side of the pond and raised in a house where all remotely entertaining music was considered bad, so that accounts for the 4-year lag. When I graduated high school, I didn't know another person who listened to Radiohead beyond knowing "Creep" from the radio.

Is the Moon Shaped Pool box set any good? Or also still bad sounding?
Sounds like ass. I think the pressing was the same as all the other EU versions, so bang average, but it was sold in the most minging rough paper sleeves that ate my copy. I ended up buying a standard and subbing the discs in becuse the box itself is gorgeous.

I don't have any problems with mine. LP 1 sounds better than my LP2, but I don't have the crackle many report. I think the consensus is that the pressing is ok, but could be better. It isn't In Rainbows Boxset quality.
Nothing else matches In Rainbows but this isn’t even a different pressing it’s just the standard XL and then the paper inners have eaten 99% of them ☹️

Last edited:
Sounds like ass. I think the pressing was the same as all the other EU versions, so bang average, but it was sold in the most minging rough paper sleeves that ate my copy. I ended up buying a standard and subbing the discs in becuse the box itself it’s gorgeous.

Nothing else matches In Rainbows but this isn’t even a different pressing it’s just the standard XL and then the paper inners have eaten 99% of them ☹️
Thanks! Almost bought it...the OKComputer box set and that box set are in the target buy one get one free so prices are good on it but I figured every pressing of Moon Shaped is pretty bad. I have the blue OKComputer pressing which sounds good to me too so don’t think I want the OKComputer box either.

Thanks! Almost bought it...the OKComputer box set and that box set are in the target buy one get one free so prices are good on it but I figured every pressing of Moon Shaped is pretty bad. I have the blue OKComputer pressing which sounds good to me too so don’t think I want the OKComputer box either.

Yeah I got the ok computer box set but I saw the same paper inners and already owned the OKNOTOK so kept the discs I knew were good and PIFED the standard edition with the box set discs. They were identical, same labels and everything!

Is the Moon Shaped Pool box set any good? Or also still bad sounding?

The copy I got isnt good, that being said it was awful when I received it and a colleague of mine ran it through an okki nokki for me and it improved all the pops and clicks.

The mastering can't be fixed though. I think hi res digital sounds best for this album.

The packaging is fantastic though. I think it's the best package they've released.

The sad thing about AMSP is that it's a beautiful record that has very claustrophobic mixing... I know Radiohead albums are typically "loud" (as are most albums nowadays) but AMSP sounds like maybe the worst offender of it to my ears. Despite this, I think the album is brilliant, but part of me wonders if a lot of the issues with the pressings aren't built into the way the album was produced. I mentioned in a post in this thread a while back that I felt like the album was so "hot" (meaning loud/distorted) that it would never sound good on vinyl unless it was completely remixed from the ground up to have more dynamics and not as distorted.

I guess I wasn't too far off when I asked if Steven Hyden was working on a U2 book 😁

The top 16 of Hyden's list is very solid... other than "Beautiful Day" which is and will always be garbage to my ears. If it was my list I'd put "Love Comes Tumbling" there, instead of down at #93.

The top 16 of Hyden's list is very solid... other than "Beautiful Day" which is and will always be garbage to my ears. If it was my list I'd put "Love Comes Tumbling" there, instead of down at #93.
I really love No Line on the Horizon so to see it at 99 was disappointing. Agree that the top was pretty solid and was glad to see if just didn't make it all of their big singles. Also posted the link in the U2 thread so all the U2 haters don't need to read opinions about it .

Back