Immerse Your Soul In Love - The Radiohead Thread

I'm hoping that those reissue rumors are true. My only thing is that, unlike OK Computer, Kid A didn't really have any b-sides, and that was kind of a big draw to get OKNOTOK. Maybe there's some unreleased material that they've been sitting on for an anniversary edition like this?

Personally, I’d much prefer to hear unreleased songs or markedly different works in progress from the album(S).

I loved the 3 unreleased songs on OKNOTOK - especially I Promise - but thought filling the rest of the 3rd record with b-sides from the era was a bit cheap of them. I’d have preferred to hear more outtakes from the OK Computer sessions.

Personally, I’d much prefer to hear unreleased songs or markedly different works in progress from the album(S).

I loved the 3 unreleased songs on OKNOTOK - especially I Promise - but thought filling the rest of the 3rd record with b-sides from the era was a bit cheap of them. I’d have preferred to hear more outtakes from the OK Computer sessions.

To be fair that was covered too, the box had the cassette (which became as a download too) with all of that on. I actually think that finished songs in the form of new and b-sides is completely the right way to go on the wider release with the box set there as a deeper dive for bigger fans. That said I’m absolutely not a fan of trawling through demos and half ideas, I want finished products...

To be fair that was covered too, the box had the cassette (which became as a download too) with all of that on. I actually think that finished songs in the form of new and b-sides is completely the right way to go on the wider release with the box set there as a deeper dive for bigger fans. That said I’m absolutely not a fan of trawling through demos and half ideas, I want finished products...

Yes, & there’s some excellent stuff on the tape; but as someone who prefers vinyl, I’d have preferred the better moments from the tape to be placed on the third record.

The cassette tape felt like a gimmick to me; luring people in to buy the expensive box.

Also, as the hacked 18 mini discs from the OK Computer period prove: there were plenty of great alternate versions of songs they could have used rather than filling up space with b-sides most fans probably already have.

Not knocking the b-sides - they’re great - but for any future expanded anniversary editions, I hope they treat us to more unheard material.

Personally I would love the B-sides from the Kid A/Amnesiac era. Imagine hearing in vinyl all those great songs(The Amazing Sounds of Orgy,Transatlantic Drawl, Fog, are some personal favorites)! A download/cassette like the OKNOTOK one would be cool too.

Personally I would love the B-sides from the Kid A/Amnesiac era. Imagine hearing in vinyl all those great songs(The Amazing Sounds of Orgy,Transatlantic Drawl, Fog, are some personal favorites)! A download/cassette like the OKNOTOK one would be cool too.

To be fair - & contrary to my previous stated preference - it would be nice to have some of these b-sides on vinyl, seeing as many of them previously only existed on c.d singles. I’d just prefer a more generous helping of unheard music to balance things out. :)

Yes, & there’s some excellent stuff on the tape; but as someone who prefers vinyl, I’d have preferred the better moments from the tape to be placed on the third record.

The cassette tape felt like a gimmick to me; luring people in to buy the expensive box.

Also, as the hacked 18 mini discs from the OK Computer period prove: there were plenty of great alternate versions of songs they could have used rather than filling up space with b-sides most fans probably already have.

Not knocking the b-sides - they’re great - but for any future expanded anniversary editions, I hope they treat us to more unheard material.

To be fair - & contrary to my previous stated preference - it would be nice to have some of these b-sides on vinyl, seeing as many of them previously only existed on c.d singles. I’d just prefer a more generous helping of unheard music to balance things out. :)

yeah I see where you’re coming from but it’s not for me so much. I’d see that kinda demo stuff as things I’d listen to once, twice max, and then it’d be sat there. A couple of extra vinyl records is going to add £30 to the price point for what I see as curios. Downloads, a usb dongle, or even CDs, seems to make more sense to me for that type of material!

I listen to that b-sides third LP a lot, it’s great so that’s kinda where my priorities lie. I know Thom has said before that there is a reason they let out what they let out and that he has no interest in releasing unfinished stuff, the mini disc situation was sort of forced on them by the hack release.

Also, to weigh in on the Kid A/Amnesiac special edition talks, my best case scenario would be that we get all the Amnesiac b-sides on vinyl as well as some new finished tracks from the archives in the vein of what "Man of War"/"I Promise"/"Lift" was for OKC, with an extra disc of some demos and unreleased material from the era because I'm sure there's plenty of unfinished ideas from that era that would be really cool to hear. Of course if I had to only have one of those, I'd go with the finished material, but I don't see why we can't have both!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tbh I just share any Radiohead news I see in here. Also I found footage on YouTube of the show I was at!

awesome! Jealous that you got to see all the newer stuff live, I haven’t seen them since the Hail to the Thief tour. Hopefully they’ll get back together again...

and fair enough, I struggle to understand charts and how they are worked out since streaming was added in so I always hope that someone younger will one day explain it to me in a way I understand! It feels kinda random and overly fluid without solid releases and feels a bit meaningless to me.

Also, to weigh in on the Kid A/Amnesiac special edition talks, my best case scenario would be that we get all the Amnesiac b-sides on vinyl as well as some new finished tracks from the archives in the vein of what "Man of War"/"I Promise"/"Lift" was for OKC, with an extra disc of some demos and unreleased material from the era because I'm sure there's plenty of unfinished ideas from that era that would be really cool to hear. Of course if I had to only have one of those, I'd go with the finished material, but I don't see why we can't have both!

what I would actually like, as the box releases, would be a Kid in a box with the vinyl over 2x10, another 2x10 with new fully formed songs and outtakes, the CD Art book edition and a usb stick/download with a deeper dive I to that.

I’d like amnesiac again over 2x10 and the same for the b-sides. A reissue of the CD library book (still my fav of all my Radiohead releases) and a hunting bear usb stick with a deep dive into the seasons.

I tend to assume that the outtakes & working versions from the sessions that produced these two albums would be an intriguing listen: a record of how they evolved from being one of the worlds classic guitar rock-type bands into this new version of themselves. From everything I’ve read about this period, it seems as if this transition was full of tensions as Thom dragged the rest of the band into uncharted musical waters; I imagine eavesdropping on their journey would be fascinating.

I tend to assume that the outtakes & working versions from the sessions that produced these two albums would be an intriguing listen: a record of how they evolved from being one of the worlds classic guitar rock-type bands into this new version of themselves. From everything I’ve read about this period, it seems as if this transition was full of tensions as Thom dragged the rest of the band into uncharted musical waters; I imagine eavesdropping on their journey would be fascinating.

I’d love a documentary of that more tbh. Just to see how much of a diva Thom actually was and just how close to murdering him the rest of the band were. I remember reading interviews in NME and Melody Maker in the year leading up to the release of Kid A and even at 16/17 could pick up on the mania and the tension!

I’d love a documentary of that more tbh. Just to see how much of a diva Thom actually was and just how close to murdering him the rest of the band were. I remember reading interviews in NME and Melody Maker in the year leading up to the release of Kid A and even at 16/17 could pick up on the mania and the tension!

I can imagine Thom throwing some proper stroppy teenager type wobblers. There are glimpses of that side of him in Meeting People Is Easy. I bet there was a lot more of his petulant streak on display as he came out of that period whilst trying to wrestle his band mates in a new direction that left them feeling bewildered & surplus to requirement half the time. I mean, how many of the tracks from Kid A/Amnesiac even feature the full band?

I can imagine Thom throwing some proper stroppy teenager type wobblers. There are glimpses of that side of him in Meeting People Is Easy. I bet there was a lot more of his petulant streak on display as he came out of that period whilst trying to wrestle his band mates in a new direction that left them feeling bewildered & surplus to requirement half the time. I mean, how many of the tracks from Kid A/Amnesiac even feature the full band?

not too mention the first two years after OK Computer when he convinced himself that he had writers block and was supposedly throwing out ideas quicker than he was getting them...

I think that they are mostly on all of it, just in hugely different capacities than they would have been previously. I think Johnny Greenwood in particular spent an awful lot of time playing with disparate sounds to create textures (most famously the detuned radio bits) and very little playing the guitar!

not too mention the first two years after OK Computer when he convinced himself that he had writers block and was supposedly throwing out ideas quicker than he was getting them...

I think that they are mostly on all of it, just in hugely different capacities than they would have been previously. I think Johnny Greenwood in particular spent an awful lot of time playing with disparate sounds to create textures (most famously the detuned radio bits) and very little playing the guitar!

You’re probably right, but I’m sure I once read that Everything In It’s Right Place was made by Thom & Nigel alone, & it wouldn’t surprise me if other tracks don’t feature them all; Treefingers & Motion Picture Soundtrack spring to mind.

I recall an interview where Thom said that he had to say to the rest of the band that they needed to accept that perhaps not everybody's input would be needed on every track from now on.

You’re probably right, but I’m sure I once read that Everything In It’s Right Place was made by Thom & Nigel alone, & it wouldn’t surprise me if other tracks don’t feature them all; Treefingers & Motion Picture Soundtrack spring to mind.

I recall an interview where Thom said that he had to say to the rest of the band that they needed to accept that perhaps not everybody's input would be needed on every track from now on.

I think what impressed me most is how they were then able to turn them into coherent live tracks. For an album that is so based around the studio the tracks from it are epic, and in a way completely different, live!

I think what impressed me most is how they were then able to turn them into coherent live tracks. For an album that is so based around the studio the tracks from it are epic, and in a way completely different, live!

Agreed; Colin’s bass lines really seemed to be the solid foundation that held a lot of those songs together when performed live.

The above posts have always made me wonder how In Rainbows might have turned out had Thom not made The Eraser. That album seems to have been his way of getting a lot of the electronica of the early 2000s era out of his system as the only semi-electronic song on IR is "15 Step."

It's amazing to me that the band survived such a major shift in sound with all members still intact. Other bands have been absolutely torn apart by less than that. I guess it speaks to them and Nigel's artistic connection more than anything.

Back