I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 15: One Sweet Day
a smash ballad dedicated to Mariah’s former collaborator David Cole, Boyz II Men’s road manager Khalil & the victims of the AIDS epidemic. play a record dedicated to a loved one (whether by the artist or by yourself)

This compilation is one of my earliest musical memories. My sister had it and I remember her playing it constantly, so I'll dedicate this to her.

Plus its an excellent quiet Saturday morning spin.

Beatles ~ Love Songs

IMG_7979.jpeg

a smash ballad dedicated to Mariah’s former collaborator David Cole, Boyz II Men’s road manager Khalil & the victims of the AIDS epidemic. play a record dedicated to a loved one (whether by the artist or by yourself)

Sonic Youth - Goo
IMG_5213.jpeg
“Tunic (Song For Karen)” is a haunting eulogy to The Carpenters lead singer Karen Carpenter.

Image 1.jpeg

This song is Mariah's longest-running #1 hit on the Hot 100, ruling the chart for 16 weeks (half of its chart run, as it descended pretty quickly after that), though nowadays it's not usually mentioned or acknowledged alongside her most iconic songs. Damn good song tho.

Anyway, here's my pick for today...

Brittany Howard - Jaime

IMG_8662.jpeg

Her first solo album, named for & dedicated to her sister who'd died of retinoblastoma when she was a kid.

Gonna catch up a bit...

Day 7: Make It Happen
Play something holy or uplifting.

I usually feel good after listening to this one.

Brian Eno With Daniel Lanois & Roger Eno ‎– Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks (Extended Edition)
UMC ‎– 774 777-2, 1983/2019

Cut by Miles Showell at Abbey Road
Pressed at Optimal

lJfUKB.jpg

0Dv4nx.jpg

There's a reason An Ending (Ascent) is in a lot of movies. I think I first really heard it at the end of Traffic. I wasn't really into Eno's ambient stuff until a bit later.

Wax Mannequin – Saxon

Digital again because it's not available on vinyl, or I'd have it. This album was dedicated to Wax Mannequin's wife and their firstborn son, Saxon. This play is also dedicated to my youngest as two of the songs from this (Wax's cover of Geoff Berner's "Volcano God" and "End of Me," neither of which are really lullaby material, but I'm sure the kid will turn out fine!) are part of their bedtime routine.

Day 15
IMG_8531.jpeg
Willie Nelson and the Boys - Willie’s Stash Vol. 2

Next Sunday will be my third concert since the pandemic. It will be my fifth time seeing Willie and my eldest’s fourth. We’ve both been to Outlaw three times previous. Two times together - I went one time prepandemic without her and she has been to one post. So this is for her. (She came over tonight, we did Father’s Day and Birthday for my dad tonight. She and I watched I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, so y’all are lucky I’m not playing YHF, although Sky Blue Sky would be more apropos since she was my concert buddy when we saw Wilco on that tour)

Day 16: Always Be My Baby
a song that's often been acclaimed as one of her best but doesn't really do anything for me. on the flip side, play a record you love that not many other people seem to like (from your pov)

An epiphany record for me when I first heard it in 1985. A load of crap for most others when they first heard it whenever...

I'm gonna run and find
A place where I can hide
Somewhere that no one knows
Someplace that no one goes
So don't you look for me
I'll be where you can't see
Somewhere I can't be found
My little underground

The Jesus And Mary Chain - Psychocandy

IMG_5646.jpeg

Day 10: Hero
Play a record of great sentimental value to you

Since this came in the mail the week after Albini past away - and that I was just reminded the other day that it was 15 years ago that I saw Shellac. It probably won't reach Bowie/Blackstar levels of sentimental value, it's not gonna making me get a tattoo, but it's still up there...

This one sold out pretty quick - but they also got represses pressed and selling pretty fast considering how slow pressing plants have been.

Shellac – To All Trains
Touch And Go – TG444LP, 2024

Cut by Robert Weston at Chicago Mastering Service
Injection Molded at Green Vinyl Records

05b4Jcz.jpg

J2foRGU.jpg

Some pics from the 6/13/09 show @ Berbati's Pan, Portland

4996_1115238974482_1421222_n-jpg.186446

4996_1115239014483_991429_n-jpg.186447

4996_1115239054484_722587_n-jpg.186448

Last edited:
Day 11: Without You
Play a cover song (or a covers album)

This release has the 4 bands covering the 3 other bands, with each side being songs from one band.

Side A - The Bangles songs
Side B - Rain Parade songs
Side C - The Three O'Clock songs
Side D - The Dream Syndicate songs

The Bangles • The Three O'Clock • The Dream Syndicate • Rain Parade – 3×4
Yep Roc Records – YEP-2596, 2018

#BFRSD18 - limited to 900 for RSD, later released worldwide.

Pressed at GZ

yaJ0VPb.jpg

dpgyvbm.jpg

George Michael "Faith" (1987 Virgin Japan)
Father figure. I'm going to dedicate this one to my dad for father's day.

IMG_1415.JPG

a song that's often been acclaimed as one of her best but doesn't really do anything for me. on the flip side, play a record you love that not many other people seem to like (from your pov)

MGMT - Congratulations

I remember people hating this album when it came out because it was such a departure from their debut and those hit singles. But I loved it immediately and is still my favorite from them.

IMG_6874.jpeg

Day 13: Endless Love
Play a duet or collab record

I bought this over a year ago and have never spun it.
3 sides are the 1998 album "Painted From Memory" - side D is a selection of songs from "Taken From Life" - songs written by Bacharach & Costello for a Painted From Memory musical.

So it's essentially "Painted From Memory" with bonus tracks.

Bacharach & Costello – The Songs Of Bacharach & Costello
UMe – B0036683-01, 1998/2023

Cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound
Pressed at GZ

FPy7WpT.jpg

zXlQtNQ.jpg

Last edited:

IMG_8664.jpeg

This would’ve been Mariah’s 3rd song to debut at #1 on the Hot 100 if it weren’t for Celine Dion’s “Because You Loved Me”. ABMB debuted at #2 at the beginning of April 1996 & stayed there for 4 weeks before climbing to #1.

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

Elton John - “Wrap Her Up

IMG_8663.jpeg

A song where Elton & an uncredited George Michael sing about all of the beautiful women they want to take home. This song is camp & I love it. :ROFLMAO:

Back