I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 13: Endless Love

Image.jpeg

Mariah's first high-profile collaboration/duet, the lead single from Luther Vandross' covers album "Songs" & his highest-charting hit on the Hot 100 (peaking @ #2 behind a future Mariah Carey collaborator; see Day 15), which is so sad I might actually break down & cry. Nah but seriously tho, their version of Endless Love is good, but Luther's done so many better songs throughout his career.

Here's an ad from Radio & Records (August 26th, 1994) promoting the release of the single:

Image 2024-06-13 at 8.02 PM.jpeg

Anyway, here's my pick for today...

Sam Smith (feat. Kim Petras) - "Unholy"

IMG_8635.jpeg

The first (and so far only) #1 Hot 100 hit by both a non-binary & transgender artist. And still one of my favourite songs of 2022.

Day 14
IMG_8510.jpeg
De La Soul - Art Official Intelligence: Mosaic Thump

My all time favorite hip hop group. The Beasties are why I noticed Hip Hop. De La is why I fell in love with it. I may not listen to a lot of modern hip hop but the 80s and 90s produced some hip hop that I love to this day.

Pos, Common, and Q-Tip are my all time favorite MCs.

This was an epic PIF from @Ethos99 during an epic PIF weekend. Thanks again good sir!!!

Day 14: Fantasy

Image.jpeg

The second song to ever debut at #1 on the Hot 100 & the first by a female artist (thanks to the physical single coming out after it’d made the top 10 on the radio airplay charts, at a time when a physical single release was required to chart on the Hot 100).

Here’s an ad from Radio & Records promoting the original song’s release to radio:

Image 2024-06-14 at 1.36 AM.jpeg

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

Da Brat - Funkdafied

IMG_8661.jpeg

The debut album from a rapper who would be a frequent collaborator of Mariah’s, including on remixes of at least a few songs we have coming up…

15: One Sweet Day
a smash ballad dedicated to Mariah’s former collaborator David Cole, Boyz II Men’s road manager Khalil & the victims of the AIDS epidemic. play a record dedicated to a loved one (whether by the artist or by yourself)

For and about Syd...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

IMG_5631.jpeg

Day 15: One Sweet Day
a smash ballad dedicated to Mariah’s former collaborator David Cole, Boyz II Men’s road manager Khalil & the victims of the AIDS epidemic. play a record dedicated to a loved one (whether by the artist or by yourself)

Aretha Franklin - Amazing Grace

I guess you could say this album is dedicated to god.

IMG_6847.jpeg

Day 15: One Sweet Day

My wife recently discovered she's into shoegaze and dream pop so this one is for her.

Slowdive - everything is alive

IMG_7221.jpeg

Back