I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 12: Never Forget You
a double-sided hit with “Without You” thanks to substantial-enough radio play. Play a b-side or a deep cut

Kiss - Destroyer
IMG_5180.jpeg

The Peter Criss sung power ballad “Beth” started out as b-side to “Detroit Rock City”. In fact, the other members of Kiss didn't want "Beth" on 'Destroyer' and initially buried it on the flip side of the album's third single in the summer of 1976 but then music director at an Ontario rock station’s daughter fell in love with the track, and decided to put "Beth" into heavy rotation. It eventually became Kiss' highest-charting single ever.

Last edited:
Day 9: Dreamlover
the first single where Mariah had creative control over remixing her songs. Play a remixed record (or a remix album)

Tom Waits - Real Gone (2017 Remix)

I kind of resent this remix for what they did to Hoist That Rag. The song is ruined for me on this version. But overall it’s not awful and on some tracks I think it’s pretty good, but I still prefer the original mix.

IMG_6838.jpeg

Last edited:
a double-sided hit with “Without You” thanks to substantial-enough radio play. Play a b-side or a deep cut

A triple dip - a B-side, a deep cut and a live fan favorite...

The Black Crowes - 12" Metal Tin - Remedy b/w Darling Of The Underground Press and Time Will Tell

Remedy reached #1 on the US Rock Singles Chart. Darling Of the Underground Press did not chart.

IMG_5611.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 10: Hero
one of Mariah's most performed songs live, due to the personal connection many of her fans have to the lyrics. play a record of great sentimental value to you

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning

A lot of the music and artists that I loved as a teenager don’t appeal to me as much anymore. But all these years later, this record is one that resonates with me just as much if not more.

IMG_6839.jpeg

A fun tidbit I forgot to mention yesterday, Mariah’s first 10 singles had all managed to go to #1 on Radio & Records CHR (top 40 radio) chart. Without You was the song to break that streak, peaking @ #2 (Mariah was apparently the only one not to see The Sign, if you know what I mean). Never Forget You fared better on the Urban Contemporary chart, hitting the top for 1 week.

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - “Welcome to the Pleasuredome

IMG_8634.jpeg

This record actually has two b-sides; a cover of T. Rex’s “Get It On” (which I actually meant to play yesterday but forgot to lol) & “Happy Hi!”.

Carly Rae Jepsen - EMOTION SIDE B

Going digital for this one. This collection of tracks that didn’t make the cut for her Emotion album are fantastic. I like it more than the actual album.

IMG_6844.png

Day 9: Dreamlover
the first single where Mariah had creative control over remixing her songs. Play a remixed record (or a remix album)

I waited until tonight to play this one, since my son and his SO were coming over after we went to dinner. This album is a huge favorite for all of us, so I wanted to hear the re-mixes fresh with them here.

D17The World At Large (Enough Love To Kill Us All Remix)
Guitar, Keyboards – Max Drummey
Remix, Producer, Mixed By, Drums, Bass, Keyboards – Jeremy Sherrer
Guitar, Keyboards – Max Drummey
Remix, Producer, Mixed By, Drums, Bass, Keyboards – Jeremy Sherrer
4:58
D18Float On (Dan The Automator Remix)
Guitar [Additional], Keyboards – Alex Swain
Remix, Producer [Additional Production By] – Dan The Automator
Guitar [Additional], Keyboards – Alex Swain
Remix, Producer [Additional Production By] – Dan The Automator
5:21
D19Ocean Breathes Salty (Poolside Remix)
Mixed By – Alexander Kemp (3)
Producer – Jeffrey Paradise
Mixed By – Alexander Kemp (3)
Producer – Jeffrey Paradise
3:11
D20Bury Me With It (Jacknife Lee Remix)
Mixed By, Drums, Guitar, Keyboards, Synth, Programmed By – Jacknife Lee
Mixed By, Drums, Guitar, Keyboards, Synth, Programmed By – Jacknife Lee
3:59
D21One Chance (Dennis Herring Remix)
Keyboards [Additional] – Dennis Herring

IMG_8330.JPG

Day 10: Hero
one of Mariah's most performed songs live, due to the personal connection many of her fans have to the lyrics. play a record of great sentimental value to you

This is an easy one. I have my mom's Carly Simon records, along with a few others that comprised her small collection.The nostalgia attached to some of these songs, and Carly's voice itself, it's so sweet and sad at the exact same time.

This one and No Secrets especially.

IMG_8332.JPG

Back