Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

This is a fun thread, can’t believe I only found it last night. It took a wee while to get through.

Here goes:

• Long form repetitive music is ace. Music induced trances are where it’s at.
  • Blue Note Records is overrated. Impulse! And ESP-Disk are way better jazz labels with a way more consistent output.
  • The statement that ‘the film isn’t as good as the book’ is boring and lazy criticism, at best.
  • The VMP threads on here would be way more interesting if Storf was here.
  • God isn’t real. Oh, and Jesus was just the David Blaine of his time.
  • Kids are just people and like their adult counterparts, some of them are dicks. Plenty of them are a delight.
  • Adults who attend kids’ movies unaccompanied by a child are... worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:
P sure he meant "melodramatic."
Also, that reminds me of this scaruffi review of Blackstar:

"As usual with Bowie, Blackstar(RCA, 2016), produced again by Tony Visconti, is mostly image and very little about the music.
The ten-minute Blackstar, that was supposed to be the centerpiece, is little more than a funereal litany a` la Doors with jazz horns that goes on five minutes too many.
Bowie crooning melodramatic in Lazarus (from his Broadway musical about an alien who falls in love) or romantic in Dollar Days is either delirious and pathetic, certainly not entertaining.
His tedious voice interferes with the driving jazz jam of 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore and with the frenzied and tense Sue (a 2014 single).
Even when the voice is not a distraction, the rest is hardly intriguing: I Can't Give Everything Away boasts an awful distorted guitar against syncopated beats and layers of electronic drones: not exactly genius.
This is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.
4/10."

I know what he meant, see my post below it. It’s just a comically ridiculous combination of words...

I disagree and could point to the reviews that were positive but I can’t be arsed.

"As usual with Bowie, Blackstar(RCA, 2016), produced again by Tony Visconti, is mostly image and very little about the music.
The ten-minute Blackstar, that was supposed to be the centerpiece, is little more than a funereal litany a` la Doors with jazz horns that goes on five minutes too many.
Bowie crooning melodramatic in Lazarus (from his Broadway musical about an alien who falls in love) or romantic in Dollar Days is either delirious and pathetic, certainly not entertaining.
His tedious voice interferes with the driving jazz jam of 'Tis a Pity She Was a Whore and with the frenzied and tense Sue (a 2014 single).
Even when the voice is not a distraction, the rest is hardly intriguing: I Can't Give Everything Away boasts an awful distorted guitar against syncopated beats and layers of electronic drones: not exactly genius.
This is trivial "music" that any amateur could make, except that most amateurs would be ashamed to release it.
4/10."

That’s a shitty review by someone with out ears.

Actually Blackstar and Low are the albums I would consider buying.

4/10."
Haha, that might be the first time that a review has made me angry.

I truly cannot find a "Your Fave is Problematic" thread. I thought we had one here but maybe not. So this thread is reasonably close to that one. @mods please move to that thread if it's titled something that I have not found via search.

So what are everyone's thoughts on Pinegrove? They released a new song and have an album coming out.

The comments over on the Stereogum piece kinda sum up my thoughts. Like, everyone has to work with what info there is out there about the whole situation. We don't know if there's still some info that's not being shared. Some people on twitter are cryptic about the band/Evan still being abusers, but provide no insight into why they should not be supported/trusted. Evan himself realized his problems and decided to pursue help and make reprimands for his actions. He didn't murder anyone, the victims seem to be okay with what has transpired and they're back now. If he did something significantly worse like murder or sexual assault/rape I'd say good riddance. But he has not. Does cancel culture go too far for minor transgressions on the scale of abusive behavior? Reflecting on one's actions, trying to change behavior and become a better person, should society give someone a second chance?

Back