Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

People who dismiss music because "it's too long" are clowns.
I used to be "a clown" as a younger man I was much more impatient than I am today. overlong and meandering music was something I rarely enjoyed. As I have grown older and my listening pallet has refined I have come to enjoy long musical pieces.

EDIT: A quote of a @Joe Mac hot take regarding the quality of Nirvana's oeuvre was previously found here. It has now been redacted as a clerical error resulted in its inclusion and as it bears no relevance on the foregoing.

I really like the VMP OBIs and resealable sleeves. The OBIs make the name really visible on a shelf and the resealables basically function as a free sleeve I can reuse instead of using of my own plastic sleeves

I'm always afraid the reseal is going to snag and turn my NM sleeve into a G+.
Also my OBIs always get damaged when re-bagging the album...but my wife probably wouldn't describe me as a "delicate" person.
I'm amazed some of my collection has survived this long.

Best use of an OBI strip is at Limited to One Records in NYC .
They are handwritten with: Artist, Title, Release/Edition info, price, Media Condition Grade and Sleeve Grade.
It makes digging through their shop a very a pleasant experience.

Last edited:
I'm always afraid the reseal is going to snag and turn my NM sleeve into a G+.
Also my OBIs always get damaged when re-bagging the album...but my wife probably wouldn't describe me as a "delicate" person.
I'm amazed some of my collection has survived this long.

Best use of an OBI strip is at Limited to One Records in NYC .
They are handwritten with: Artist, Title, Release/Edition info, price, Media Condition Grade and Sleeve Grade.
It makes digging through their shop a very a pleasant experience.

Huh?

I think it all depends. Long songs that are long and repetitive and boring are no better for being long and brevity is a form of genius. It takes an extraordinary skill to pull off a long song, very very few artists possess it in the pop/rock spheres.

Over course other types of music that have movements rather than songs are a different kettle of fish altogether.
I think repetition can be quite engrossing if done correctly

I think repetition can be quite engrossing if done correctly
Prince: "Joy in Repetition"

Specifically, the live version from the One Nite Alone box set (Disc 3, The Aftershow). Most specifically, the guitar solo where he repeats what is, to my ear, the exact same note for about 45seconds and it sounds otherworldly.

Also, a lot of electronic music, Krautrock, funk workouts, drone, ambient, and other styles that groove on the repetition of perfectly assembled lines of music.

Back