Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

I mean my parents were very Christian. We werenā€™t allowed to watch MTV. However, I got my mom to buy me Appetite for Destruction in the midst of dumb PRMC rules (I couldnā€™t buy it myself because it had a sticker and I was 14 - NC State law at the time)
Yeah, no MTV for me and she'd have slapped me for even asking for a Guns n Roses, parental advisory or no. I loved my mom despite her many flaws, but there's a reason her 6 kids have a complicated memory of her since she died last year. If you're an asshole to your kids all their life, it has consequences.

I mean my parents were very Christian. We werenā€™t allowed to watch MTV. However, I got my mom to buy me Appetite for Destruction in the midst of dumb PRMC rules (I couldnā€™t buy it myself because it had a sticker and I was 14 - NC State law at the time)

Yeah, no MTV for me and she'd have slapped me for even asking for a Guns n Roses, parental advisory or no. I loved my mom despite her many flaws, but there's a reason her 6 kids have a complicated memory of her since she died last year. If you're an asshole to your kids all their life, it has consequences.

There is an entire swath of late 70s early to Mid 80s songs and artists that I have not heard or have any context for because they were on "secular" radio.

It has totally skewed my musical taste.

When I got caught watching MTV, I got the belt (hand tooled with "Jesus" in the leather) and then when I got older, grounded.
Edit: MTV was totally worth it though.

My mom went to Catholic school when she was a kid but fortunately her upbringing did not trickle down to me. However, when we moved to Florida when I was a high school sophomore, she started dating a guy who would go to church and she tried to get me to go to Sunday school. Being a good son, I went a few times, but I was bored out of my f-ing mind. Then one day she told me I could stop going because the pastor received a brand new corvette courtesy of the congregation.

It is a slight consolation. This album was my gateway to music that I wasn't introduced to by adults. A friend taped this and Sponge for me because we'd listen to them so much in his room. My religious fundamentalist mother was not a fan, so I got a walkman and a lot more tapes that she wouldn't know about šŸ˜ˆ
Yeah, this is where the Gen X - Late Millennial divide is the most stark. Lots of older Gen Xers who I looked up to as a kid (mainly friends older cool siblings) hated that second wave of grunge but us older millennials discovered bands like STP, Bush, Sponge, The Toadies, etcā€¦ at the same time we were discovering Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam and we were ignorant enough to not appreciate or care about their influences.

Yeah, this is where the Gen X - Late Millennial divide is the most stark. Lots of older Gen Xers who I looked up to as a kid (mainly friends older cool siblings) hated that second wave of grunge but us older millennials discovered bands like STP, Bush, Sponge, The Toadies, etcā€¦ at the same time we were discovering Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam and we were ignorant enough to not appreciate or care about their influences.
Kind of, but STP formed two years after Nirvana and before Pearl Jam. Sponge was only two years after Pearl Jam.

Kind of, but STP formed two years after Nirvana and before Pearl Jam. Sponge was only two years after Pearl Jam.
They did but also no one knew who they were outside of maybe some So Cal scensters until they started playing ā€œPlushā€ on MTV regularly in Spring of 1993.

Band sound changes over time and STP didnā€™t get signed to a major label until they started to emulate the sound from Seattle.

Again, none of that really matters. Good music is good music but they were definitely influenced by what was happening in Seattle, especially on their first album.

Finally finishing the back half, the rest of the album is markedly improved from the first half.
Big Empty was a big hit, originally from The Crow soundtrack. Pretty Penny and Unglued got some airplay as well. And it's got one of my favorite hidden tracks of the 90's.

My wife and I just finished listening to the album a few minutes ago. It had probably been a couple of years since I last played it.

Also, fun fact... Scott Weiland went to my high school

Big Empty was a big hit, originally from The Crow soundtrack. Pretty Penny and Unglued got some airplay as well. And it's got one of my favorite hidden tracks of the 90's.

My wife and I just finished listening to the album a few minutes ago. It had probably been a couple of years since I last played it.

Also, fun fact... Scott Weiland went to my high school
The thing that blew my tiny adolescent mind when I finally picked up the CD and listened to the entire album was that MTV News used the intro of ā€œLoungeflyā€ as the intro for MTV News Breaks. I always expect Kurt Loder or Tabitha Sorensen to chime in rather than Scott Weiland.

Either we have to start vilifying Strand of Oaks or we have to apologize to Coldplay - because they are the same now.

lā€™ve said this before, my first exposure of Strand Of Oaks was ā€œGoshen ā€˜97ā€ and J Mascis guitar shredding gave me the wrong idea of what type of band Strand Of Oaks was. After exploring his music further it became clear that it wasnā€™t my bag. I have listened to albums before and since and unless J decides he wants to join the group full time, there isnā€™t anything for me.

lā€™ve said this before, my first exposure of Strand Of Oaks was ā€œGoshen ā€˜97ā€ and J Mascis guitar shredding gave me the wrong idea of what type of band Strand Of Oaks was. After exploring his music further it became clear that it wasnā€™t my bag. I have listened to albums before and since and unless J decides he wants to join the group full time, there isnā€™t anything for me.

I liked the album where it was basically My Morning Jacket but SOO in the Jim James slot. I also liked Hard Love back in 2017.

So I give each new album a shot on Spotify - but I honestly thought this was the new Coldplay single when it wafted across my algorithm.

Not knowing where else to put this, butā€¦.

A. This is a thing?
B. IT SOLD OUT?

View attachment 205865
It doesn't surprise me it would sell out. $400 isn't outrageous for a guitar. Well, if you're going to play the thing. As a decorative piece - which it may be for some/a lot(?) - well, that's in the eye of the beholder regarding that value.

Looks to be an Epiphone DR-100. While I've never played one, it seems to be a well reviewed entry level guitar at $170. So....a $200+ mark up for the novelty and limited nature. Again, all up to the individual if that's worth it.

Back